Author Topic: "Front assist" emergency braking  (Read 17895 times)

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: "Front assist" emergency braking
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2014, 11:18 »
Although it might save me from hitting a car ahead accepted, (once in 28 years) it's caused me too many issues so it's now disconnected.

Just be careful as it will have serious insurance implications if you do have a smash and its noted to be turned off.
Correct, your insurance would be void!
I've not had any issues with mine, perhaps the owners who are having issues get them checked out for calibration?
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2014, 14:57 »
Although it might save me from hitting a car ahead accepted, (once in 28 years) it's caused me too many issues so it's now disconnected.

Just be careful as it will have serious insurance implications if you do have a smash and its noted to be turned off.

Bit strong that don't think you can say will have, might have is about as far as you can go. Not aware of any case law on this so not sure where a defined statement comes from?  Risk assess basis like everything, I don't run in many cars as quoted, but if every journey it slams on there's a much higher chance of someone running into me.
Golf Gti 3dr Night Blue Manual

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2014, 17:54 »
The new MK7 Golf with front assist has a significantly lower insurance cost compared to a Golf without this system.
Therefore if you disable this system you could void your insurance unless you inform them, which will result in a higher premium.
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2014, 18:11 »
The new MK7 Golf with front assist has a significantly lower insurance cost compared to a Golf without this system.
Therefore if you disable this system you could void your insurance unless you inform them, which will result in a higher premium.

are drivers changes recorded as an audit trail? if not no one will know if a driver had it in what setting.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2014, 18:16 by Ap69 »

Offline watson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2014, 18:34 »
I don't think anybody on here is able to say it would negate your insurance by using the Front Assist' on /off button.

Already one poster is saying "would be void" and then saying "could be void" in his next post.

Clearly there is no definitive answer about this just assumptions.

« Last Edit: 08 February 2014, 18:40 by watson »

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2014, 19:32 »

Bit strong that don't think you can say will have, might have is about as far as you can go. Not aware of any case law on this so not sure where a defined statement comes from?  Risk assess basis like everything, I don't run in many cars as quoted, but if every journey it slams on there's a much higher chance of someone running into me.

There may not be case law yet, but I am sure there will be in the next year or two!

Also, knowing insurance, I am sure they'll be able to get out of paying if the ACC is turned off.  It depends on your insurance policy. I am sure soon enough it'll be specifically written in, the same way alarms and immobilisers are these days.
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2014, 19:43 »

There may not be case law yet, but I am sure there will be in the next year or two!

Also, knowing insurance, I am sure they'll be able to get out of paying if the ACC is turned off.  It depends on your insurance policy. I am sure soon enough it'll be specifically written in, the same way alarms and immobilisers are these days.

as previous if no audit trail no one will know

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2014, 20:51 »
Spoke to a friend who is a life long traffic copper. (I use the term 'friend' loosely! Haha).

He has stated that if you were to turn it off and had an accident as a result you would likely be prosecuted. He apparently knows of cases of this.  I imagine it will depend on a case by case situation. If you have a knock at low speeds and it has been turned off for the reasons above (activating when cars turn left and such) you'll be ok, but if you plow into the back of someone tailgating on the motorway and it is off they'll have an issue.

He has also stated that it is recorded on the cars computer the times it is off and on.

To be honest, it sounds more like it would be used as evidence to assist with a conviction rather than a conviction in itself.

Only time will tell I suppose.
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2014, 21:26 »
If you can turn it off by design, then I really can't see anyone being able to prosecute you for not having it on or refusing to pay out on a claim through the insurance. If having it on is optional (i.e. you can switch it off by using a switch) then you have the option to switch it off. If it was mandatory to leave it on in the UK then VW would design it so that it could not be switched off (except by VCDS hack).

What's next? having a parking scrape and the insurance refusing to pay out because you chose to ignore your parking sensors because you normally deem them to be overly sensitive?

There is no current law that obliges you to keep it switched on at all times, and if it is non-operational in 3 years time, you would currently not fail your MOT for it not being operational (imagine that test- "we're going to drive your car behind our van, both vehicles will be doing 40mph. The van will then abruptly brake and if your car doesn't plough into the back of it then you've passed"
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2014, 22:09 »
There are many aspects of a car that aren't covered by the MOT but would still be an offence.  For example, my fastback is rusted to hell but passed the MOT because the chassis is ok.

Also, an MOT only says a vehicle was ok to pass on the day of the test.  If you get pulled over on the drive home a bulb goes, you could get pulled over and ticketed for it.

Also, I'm only relating information passed to me by someone who does that kind of thing for a living.