Author Topic: "Houston we have a problem"  (Read 26875 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
"Houston we have a problem"
« on: 24 June 2013, 19:53 »
Forgive the NASA pun but my head is all over the place.

Following a visit to my local VW dealer this afternoon I finally got to see a Mk7 GTI in the metal... trouble is I've fallen head over heels. What a handsome beast. As a result... I'm considering changing my order from a GTD to a GTI. I know, I know... I need help :undecided:

Am I nuts to delay things even further by switching? It'll only cost me a few more quid but I'm worried the delay could be a shocker.

Here are my reasons for changing:

I've always wanted a GTI ever since I was a kid (and at long last I'm grateful I can afford one)
It's iconic
I may regret it if I don't
It's getting rave reviews as a brilliant all-rounder
Now seems like the right time
I only do around 10-11k per year (so do I really need a diesel)
The GTD may not be as fun to drive as the GTI (GTD buyers please do not take offence)
Having driven a petrol Scirocco for 4 yrs, and love it, why go back to a diesel?
It only costs a bit more then the GTD
It will be a private purchase not company car

Reasons against switching to the GTI (and why I ordered the GTD):

More expensive to run than the GTD
More expensive to tax than the GTD
Slightly more expensive to insure than the GTD
Worse mpg than the GTD
Not as pragmatic as the GTD
My dealer may not give me as good a discount on the GTI

So now I don't know whether to stick with the GTD, which I know will be mint, or do I change for what I truly long for but was being Mr Sensible?

Why the hell did I visit that dealer? Life would be simpler if I hadn't :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline AAddict

• I live here
Re: "Houston we have a problem"
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2013, 19:56 »
Sounds to me like your heart wants the GTI, I think once you realise this, you'll know waiting a few more weeks is better than regretting what you've got.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2013, 20:04 »
My view is that all cars are a waste of money - so you might as well get the one that you want regardless of whether its the sensible choice or not otherwise you'll always be thinking 'if only'

Do it....you know you wanna....  :evil:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

mjh_056

« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2013, 20:05 »
Forgive the NASA pun but my head is all over the place.

Following a visit to my local VW dealer this afternoon I finally got to see a Mk7 GTI in the metal... trouble is I've fallen head over heels. What a handsome beast. As a result... I'm considering changing my order from a GTD to a GTI. I know, I know... I need help :undecided:

Am I nuts to delay things even further by switching? It'll only cost me a few more quid but I'm worried the delay could be a shocker.

Here are my reasons for changing:

I've always wanted a GTI ever since I was a kid (and at long last I'm grateful I can afford one)
It's iconic
I may regret it if I don't
It's getting rave reviews as a brilliant all-rounder
Now seems like the right time
I only do around 10-11k per year (so do I really need a diesel)
The GTD may not be as fun to drive as the GTI (GTD buyers please do not take offence)
Having driven a petrol Scirocco for 4 yrs, and love it, why go back to a diesel?
It only costs a bit more then the GTD
It will be a private purchase not company car

Reasons against switching to the GTI (and why I ordered the GTD):

More expensive to run than the GTD
More expensive to tax than the GTD
Slightly more expensive to insure than the GTD
Worse mpg than the GTD
Not as pragmatic as the GTD
My dealer may not give me as good a discount on the GTI

So now I don't know whether to stick with the GTD, which I know will be mint, or do I change for what I truly long for but was being Mr Sensible?

Why the hell did I visit that dealer? Life would be simpler if I hadn't :wink:

For me a company driver with C02 incentives I can option 5 door, DSG and add options with no additional cost to me against a standard manual GTI at high cost. - The choice was easy as the GTD is going to be everything the GTI is but with a little less performance that in day to day road conditions is for most part negated and I save a load in ££ that are much needed elsewhere with family demands.

If I was a private buyer and had them head to head then I would not worry about the MPG and the minor additional costs I would buy a GTI without question and first and main reason would be the styling and name is truly Iconic. - The added performance would be a bonus.

For us company drivers it is easy particularly those on C02 schemes (more ££ to spend lower C02) but unless going to drive tons of miles as a private I think it would be GTI all the way .. Honest thoughts.

As others said fact you are thinking this and differences are marginal really then just do it, the wait will be worth it as the time soon passes and you 100% will have no regrets at all once get it!

I know I will love the GTD am getting one! so this is a truly objective view

Such is the Iconic GTI pull that when my GTD arrives the Mini Cooper is being sold to make way for a MKV GTI so we have one of each in the family :)
« Last Edit: 24 June 2013, 20:14 by mjh_056 »

Running Man

« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2013, 20:10 »
You know if you we're thinking of a car 10k more in cost then I see a dilemma but not the the difference in price from the iconic GTI to the tractor.

Get the GTI   :wink:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2013, 20:22 »
Would you miss the extra grand a year it'll cost a year to run a GTI (taking all ownership costs into account, not just fuel)?

If not then go for it. This was my initial dilemma, then I thought i'd rather have an extra £80 a month in my pocket for the difference. For me the only advantage (slight) is what is under the bonnet, but I do love that huge initial shove of the high end TDI engines.

My for/against list was:-

Prefer GTD wheels (not by much)
It'll cost equivalent of £80 a month more for a GTI on my mileage
Don't care it doesn't have a red stripe on the grille
Don't care it has split exhaust
Prefer tartan seats without red accents
Don't care about red stitching on gearstick, steering wheel and maybe seats
Otherwise it is the same car with same equipment
My 11k pa mileage isn't a dealbreaker for petrol power, but when I get made redundant, who knows how far my commute will be when I get another job.

For me it is all about the slight everyday performance gains not being worth the car costing almost 20% more (to me) to own over 3 years.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2013, 20:29 »
I had the same dilemma when I got the mk6 and it is a tough choice, but for me doing 10k a year my heart won out and I got another GTI.

The GTD is brilliant car but like you I always wanted a GTI from when I was little and there is just something that draws me to the GTI.

MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2013, 20:37 »
Hawaii: If you fancy one in a hurry, you could give the Benfield proper UK spec one a look. You could negotiate a discount, if they've had it a week and not sold it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2013, 20:49 »
Like a few others on here i always wanted a GTI growing up and had to go through a few cars climbing the ladder to get where i am with my mk6 and even though i only do ~7k a year i did consider the GTD to keep the cost down a little, however i'm so happy i pushed the boat out a little bit further and got the GTI as it's been a joy to own and that feeling that i've got the car i always wanted rather than settling is awesome!!! I still want a mint mk1 though! :drool:

If your heart wants the GTI then go for it! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!! :)
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2013, 20:49 »
Tough choice  :grin:

I think I prefer the GTi :laugh: :evil:

vs

Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012