Author Topic: R3p - Mk2 Conversion thread  (Read 10769 times)

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
R3p - Mk2 Conversion thread
« on: 01 September 2013, 14:55 »
Hey all

I have had this car just over a year, she came with a great abf lump from the mk3. She has been a great car but now after driving a year she just dont feel as fun/fast as she did.
Its still quite low millage only just over 100k so i will keep this engine for maybe a eaton charger in the future. But for now...

I have just received a ARY 1.8T 20v engine from a Audi TT. 180bhp version with the K03s turbo and DBW throttle, but i have found a K04 turbo, manifold and BAM injectors to go on.

The engine will not be going in until after Christmas when i have finished getting all the bits together ( The part list keeps getting extended. ) Although there is a nice smaller list on the fridge which i made to help the wife contend with the idea :P

I will use this to document whats needed, what i have and ill try take as many pics as possible of the process.

Could someone please move this to the Projects page. I will get some pics up soon of the bits so far.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 17 September 2013, 19:26 by R3p »

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
Re: R3p - Mk2 Conversion thread
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2013, 22:30 »
Things to do

Remove rest of the Air pump and the unneeded pipes and pumps

This is what its going in...

more updates soon
« Last Edit: 10 November 2014, 19:09 by R3p »

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2014, 19:09 »
Damn, cant believe i never updated this. Here goes....

First i got an Audi TT "ARY" engine, standard map ecu at 180bhp and K03s turbo. I cleaned it up a bit and removed Sai and pipework

I then decided if i was gonna do i would do it once, so i got a box of BAM engine parts and turbo. Lucky for me the ARY is the same as a BAM, same knock sensors etc and VVTI. Made getting an ECU easier.

Managed to find a ECU from a Cupra R with a Revo stage 2 advanced map on it for a good price.  Happy days.

Then got a K04 downpipe made for this engine in a mk2 from Trackslag.com

Found a second hand S/steel Relentless V2 manifold, with no cracks too!. Cant find any pics of that atm.

Got a full stainless system made to keep with the S/steel theme

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2014, 19:21 »
Done cambelt and put in new head gasket, big end bearings, plugs etc and then forged rods with 20mm wrist pin for future proofing, just in case.

Silicone Tip after seeing a video of the standard one collapsing under boost. ( soz phone pic )

Made a start on the wiring loom. First time i ever done anything like this, before i struggled to wire in the stereo so this was a huge job for me. But after MANY hours reading on the internet and wiring diagrams i went from this...

part way thru... ( note the paint roller on the floor. Having been thrown at me by the wife to remind me what i should have been doing that weekend :P )

And the end.

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2014, 19:41 »
Decided on wide tracking her. So got full Golf VR6 subframe, D/shafts,rear axle hubs and wishbones etc. Put in new disc's and pads, wheel bearings and poly bushes.

New CV's

Same for the front, new trackrods,ball joints etc and more polybushes.

Made a start on removing the old ABF engine...

and shes out

I modded the tunnel to fit the mk4 gear stick. Had to grind the little fins off the side of the changer and remove a bit of the old cradle that the old changer bolted in to. Drilled two holes and put longer bolts in to the mk4 changer to reach the new holes. Holds fine with the two rear bolts and the two new front ones.

Excuse the mess...

Got a set of Spax RSX shocks second hand.

Fitted a cupra "stubby" M/C to aid with the gap between servo/MC and the cam belt cover. Had to mod the little dome shapped pin on the servo rod ( remove 3mm ) to stop the brakes binding. Saves having to put a 3mm spacer in as a lot of people do.

Long lonely nights with Coffee flask and inspection light and multi meter. Was cold and not fun hehe

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2014, 19:53 »
Remembered i needed to cut a hole for the corrado pedal box to fit the Hydro clutch. So did that
and it was time to install the new engine. Went quite smoothly.

Front end on

And found the rad fan cowling would just hit the Intake and leave no space of IC piping.

Found a G60 one with slimline fan and that fit nicely.

Sorry crappy phone pic in the dark.

Now just got to tidy the wiring and get her Mot'ed. Found some Golf VR6 BBS 15' wheels
As she stands now.  Doors open a bit thats why it looks off.