Author Topic: Crossovers - Coils and Capacitors?  (Read 968 times)

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
Crossovers - Coils and Capacitors?
« on: 15 June 2007, 10:50 »
Looking to put some crossover elements into my wiring, it's only a basic setup, so only looking to do it on a budget, not after show sound after all.. basically i was thinking on my 6x4's in the back put in a capacitor to cut below 30, or 35Hz to stop it bototming out.. in the doors have a band pass of maybe 50-400Hz and in the dash have a high pass from 400Hz up, capacitors are obviously easily available and I can calculate the closest to these.. but, whats the story with coils, creating them or buying them, to make the Xover work? im going to splice them into my autoleads vw - spade adapter things so.. theres room for error and improvement at least

any help appreciated!
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: Crossovers - Coils and Capacitors?
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2007, 17:04 »
as far as i know just wire the capacitor in the + wire and you away, thats what you do with the halfords matched ones called 'bass blockers' but i have it on good authority ( not from halfrauds!) that the same part can be brought from maplins for 50p and is called a capacitor!
ive never personly used either but i may give making one a go one day though so let me know how you get on!

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
Re: Crossovers - Coils and Capacitors?
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2007, 21:17 »
Good luck!

Designing crossovers is somewhat of a black-art, but can be made easier with the use of modern computer programs.

I take it that you are using an amp of some sort, if you plan to use 6 channels, so can you not use the filters on the amp?  If you are not using an amp, you could save yourself the bother by just not boosting the bass too much.