Author Topic: whiteline WALK  (Read 23245 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
Re: whiteline WALK
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2011, 15:55 »
Spoke to my local supplier and they said bump steer kit is only required if you have lowered your car alot.

They want £60 to fit and £100 for 4 wheel alignment. Bit of a p!sstake. Looks like I will be doing a DIY job then get the alignment done.

Just hope I don't had to press the old bush off the control arm as I don't have a press
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2011, 16:55 »
Here's a couple of reviews on the WALK and an alternative I had on my Mk6: -

WALK

SuperPro

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2011, 19:44 »
i was just looking at those threads earlier tonight as it happens

for me the super pro one is a bit of a non starter as i don't have a press etc to fit the new bushes to the control arm

do you know if the OE bush slides off the hex rod on the control arm or do you need a press to remove it?

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2011, 19:47 »
No press required for the WALK, you unbolt the whole console and pull that including the bush off the hex rod.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2011, 19:52 »
thank god for that! so its just a case of undoing the 3 bots and sliding it off?

the whittling instructions say to remove the control arm which seems like over kill to me? it looks to me there is enough room to slide the old unit off with the arm in place.

I'm hoping with it being a new car it should still be fairly greased up and just slide off!

i want to fit it myself as i don't fancy paying £60 then anther £100 on top for alignment!

will get on ordered i think!

how come you couldn't get it to fit your mk6? I've read a few other places where people have them on the mk6 and whiteline are certain it fits. must be cos of your ACC maybe?

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2011, 20:10 »
Hope you can find a good wheel alignment place as after four different places and six attempts mine is still not right. :rolleyes:
This was with two of the garages using the latest Corghi Blacktech system.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2011, 20:32 »
my local alignment place use a Hunter's DSP600 system which is meant to be top drawer. i still think £100 for wheel alignment is a scandal though!

Offline rgb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 07 November 2011, 23:12 »
Interesting stuff, but can I check that I understand this - the kit actually reduces the anti-dive giving more pitch on the brakes, but with the up-side that the effective spring rate is softer under the braking load.  Is that right?  Does the benefit really out-weigh the increase in pitch?  (and if this is such a good idea, why not remove the anti-roll bars too?)

thanks!

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2011, 08:38 »
the kit reduces the amount of movement on the lower wishbone and reduces the amount the front end lifts (which reduces weight over the front and causes wheel spin etc) under hard acceleration.

so with this kit and its stronger mount the geometry is more accurate under load and the castor angle changed slightly to give better turn in

Offline rgb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2011, 21:26 »
...but changing the geometry doesn't change the weight transfer from the front wheels - it just changes the fraction of the weight transferred through the springs rather than the swing-arm.

There's a useful discussion here...

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect%20of%20WL%20ALK_b.pdf