Author Topic: How to fit MK3 60/40 split rear seats in a MK2!  (Read 4993 times)

Offline D16vGti

• GTI forum regular
How to fit MK3 60/40 split rear seats in a MK2!
« on: 08 March 2007, 10:55 »
Right well, I spent about 2 hours doing this yesterday and thought that I should put up a how to/FAQ just to aid the mods in their sterling work!  :)

Equipment:

A welder
An angle grinder
a flathead screwdriver
the fixing brackets from a mk3 floorpan for the rear backrests

Firstly remove all the interior as that gives you more room to work, as your only doing the rears you could leave the front seats in but as they slide out really easily I'd still recommend you remove them.

The only problem with the rears is positioning. To get this right we fixed the mk3 bases in to the car and then lined up the backrests in the correct position. Then we placed in all the brackets attached to the backrests to see where they lined up with the mk2 floor pan. Using a flathead screwdriver we marked where the brackets needed to go on the floor pan.

Now that the positioning of the brackets is sorted, the floorpan needs grinding down to the bare metal ready for welding, we used a flapping disc to keep the sparks to a minimum.
NOTE: when grinding you will remove the markings placed earlier in the positioning of the brackets, therefore you need to extend those markings outside of the area to weld and just grind within the area to be welded.

Once thats done you can place the brackets and weld them in place, we started with the centre bracket and then did either side.

Now for the pics:

Heres the centre bracket welded in to position:

Heres a pic of the passenger side bracket in position:

Heres a pic of the same bracket from a different angle, note the distance between the bracket and the wheel arch, we added in a triangle of metal off an old bracket that was lying around to secure the bracket in position and welded it all up:

This is a pic of the bracket in position on the drivers side, there was no problem with distance from the floor pan on this side so just positioned it and welded it in. Note: the black is all weather sealant just to neaten everything up really.

Just be sure to move and cover the wiring loom that runs down this side of the car with a damp cloth to avoid any problems.

Now heres two pics, one of the drivers side bracket and the centre bracket, and the passenger side bracket and the centre bracket. I couldn't get a photo of all three, there just wasn't enough room in the car!!  :?

Once all thats done you'll end up with a rear bench that looks something like this, depending on what interior you bought!  :wink:  :)

The best thing is that these seats fold just as they would in the mk3!  :D

Hope this helps.

Dan

Don't question it.....just enjoy it!

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
Re: How to fit MK3 60/40 split rear seats in a MK2!
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2007, 12:14 »
nice one, i'll move this to the mainenance and info section so it stays put!
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe