Author Topic: electric polisher  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: electric polisher
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2008, 18:36 »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2008, 18:39 »
I bet it's rubbish but it is £30!!!!!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_189810_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_31443_crumb_33958-33974_parentcategoryrn_31443

I'm sure I saw a model up fromthis one with variable speed but it's not listed on their website.

Nick

yep - this is one of those ones which i referred to as just spreading polish about and being a waste of money!

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2008, 14:13 »
Silverline are a cheap end rotary polisher - best prices are from www.kingdomtools.co.uk

They do two versions...

a blue coloured one at £30, and an orange one at £35

the blue one has a slightly lower low speed (600 vs 900rpm) which some prefer for initial product spreading and finishing off.The orange one features a soft start, so the first 5 seconds it ramps up to the required rotational speed.

Normal practice is start on speed 1, ramp up to speed 2 or 3 (around 1500-200 rpm), then finish at low speed again.

These are pretty much the same machine as the Makita at 3x the price - not as robust but very similar.  IF you just want to detail/polish/paint correct  a few cars a year this is all you need. 

Rotaries aren't as easy to use as a dual action like the Porter cable, but get your self an old scrap panel to practice on first and go with low abrasive polishes to start off (like Megs cleaner wax, Megs #83, or even Autoglym super Resin Poilsh).

Lots of info on www.detailingworld.co.uk