Author Topic: How To: Download your entire project thread, in HTML or PDF etc.  (Read 10870 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Hi guys and girls, I wanted my project in PDF format so that I could email it to someone, but Firefox kept stuffing up the PDF print preview (infact, all browsers did). So I quickly knocked up some code to download a thread into HTML format (as a single document), images aren't downloaded, only referenced. Then using a PDF printer (Eg. CutePDF) you can print straight to PDF, but this time its much more viewable and clear. Or you can open the file in Internet Explorer / Firefox etc. and save it again - and it will download all the images too.

Its pretty easy to do it, just do the following...

http://vw.sonassi.com/49436/

Replace the topic number in the above URL to that of your own topic. The topic number can be found in your address bar. It is only 5 integers.

Or, if I have posted on a thread - click the link in my signature and it will load the page automatically.

This code is only going to work for GolfGTI.co.uk - its pretty low impact, it only opens as many pages as you have on your thread. The font and background etc. can all be set with CSS once you have downloaded the document. Enjoy!

Eg. bens ... 1986 MKII 1.8 8v K-Jet Golf ... project - http://vw.sonassi.com/49436/
Eg. dan23 - mk2 GTI project - http://vw.sonassi.com/82574/

FAO Administrators etc.
A small log is being kept of what has been downloaded, so you can see what effect (if any at all) it's having on the server. Also, the server is caching results now, so it will put a minute load on the GolfGTI server - if the cache is out of date, it will auto update on demand.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2008, 02:32 by Ben Lessani »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Very nice Ben, cheers :afro:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
My first sticky :D

Offline Mew

• I live here

FAO Administrators etc.
A small log is being kept of what has been downloaded, so you can see what effect (if any at all) it's having on the server. Also, the server is caching results now, so it will put a minute load on the GolfGTI server - if the cache is out of date, it will auto update on demand.

So it's your fault!!!  :grin:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
Lol, yeah - so far 0 people have used it - it must be me  :shocked: No, I wrote this after the server started having issues - because of that infact.

I'm amazed more people aren't using it really, you can pretty much save anything - Rubjonny's Tuning guide, Topics about polishing, pretty much anything, and it all suits for off line reading.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2008, 22:18 by Ben Lessani »

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
cool, will have a bash when i need to :)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Just found this and tried it, but am getting "error 404"  :undecided:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
My mistake mate. We had been porting our clients over from our US server to our UK unit - and I had overlooked this subdomain.

All working now though!

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
it doesnt do all of mine it stops after not very far!
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
http://vw.sonassi.com/46057./

All worky, just give the above a click!
« Last Edit: 14 November 2008, 15:39 by Ben Lessani »