Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 530163 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #2090 on: 03 November 2019, 15:07 »
Gave the inside a good clean and vacuum, it needed it!  All leather (incl steering wheel) cleaned with Gliptone Leather Cleaner, warm water and a soft upholstery brush.  Swissvax Quick Interior Finish used on rest of interior trim, Obsessive Detail glass cleaner on windows/infotainment screen.

The outside is filthy but that’ll have to wait till next weekend.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2091 on: 25 November 2019, 09:21 »
^ As always, looks great Booth.

Currently got nowhere to wash the cars so mine has had 3 make do washes in 3 months.

Had a chance to give a proper wash yesterday, forgot how much I love seeing it clean.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2092 on: 25 November 2019, 09:46 »
A bit damp yesterday, but managed a decent clean for first time in weeks.
Power wash, Dragons Breath on the wheels, Demon Shine Snow Foam, rinse, wash with Meguiars ultimate was and wax, rinse, dry and wax with Meguiars quick wax - rained last night, paint work beading up well.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2093 on: 02 December 2019, 11:18 »
My ONR (Optimum No-Rinse) arrived last week, so on a very cold day I decided to give it a try.

I used my battery power washer to attack the lower side panels and rear hatch, then doing one side at a time I sprayed the ONR on to the car, and despite the name, rinsed it off with the power washer (using the bottle attachment, a 2-litre mineral water bottle is enough to thoroughly clean one side of the car).

Most of the dirt remaining after the initial wash came off with the power-washer rinse, and what was left was easily wiped away using a microfibre cloth.  I'm reluctant to believe the claims made for ONR, believing that if you wipe dirt away using a cloth, you're still dragging a dirt-encrusted cloth over your paintwork, but even so, the results were acceptable. 

I might try it a few more times over the winter, then have a good look at the paint and check for swirls under a powerful torch.  The worst-case scenario is that I may have to break out my DA polisher when the weather improves.

As a means to give your car a quick, and apparently effective clean during the winter months, or a hosepipe ban, this might have something going for it.  I'll report back at some point, and let you know if there's any paint damage.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2094 on: 08 December 2019, 15:09 »
As the weather this weekend has not been as bad as the forecast would have us believe, I took the opportunity to give my Golf a wash yesterday, using Gyeon Bathe+ followed by a once-over with Gyeon Quick Detailer, with the windows cleaned with Stoners Invisible Glass.

Today, I finished the exterior with Auto Finesse on the black trim and window rubbers, Gyeon Tire (sic) treatment (not convinced by this, it's quite viscous, goes on easily, but doesn't last very long) on the tyres and sill extensions, and Solvol Autosol on the tailpipes.  The only thing I haven't done is another coating of Gtechniq C5 on the wheels, but I can do that after the next wash.

With the weather next week forecast as a mix of rain and wind, sometimes both together, it's a case of keeping the paintwork protected, and making regular washes as easy as possible.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2095 on: 08 December 2019, 15:52 »
Dr Mike, CarPlan Tyre Slik is good stuff, cheap, very easy to apply and lasts well. At around £4, might be worth giving it a go?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2096 on: 08 December 2019, 16:19 »
Dr Mike, CarPlan Tyre Slik is good stuff, cheap, very easy to apply and lasts well. At around £4, might be worth giving it a go?

Thanks, I'll give that a go next time - the problem is that the Gyeon stuff seems to last forever, it's very economical in use.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2097 on: 10 December 2019, 12:15 »

Thanks, I'll give that a go next time - the problem is that the Gyeon stuff seems to last forever, it's very economical in use.

With Gyeon, you need to make sure the tyre is nice and clean and dry first (APC, stiff brush etc) and then it works really well if you can dry it on - hairdryer is perfect. It's a really good product is used correctly. I've just finished using a Chemical Guys one which is quite good but going back to Gyeon now. 
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2098 on: 10 December 2019, 12:16 »
Single-stage paint correction and ceramic sealant for this manual V10.... What a noise it makes!

NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2099 on: 17 December 2019, 14:13 »
That looks very nice, Jim!

I've just spent an unpleasant hour and a half washing bits of the New Forest from my Golf.  It's one of the great ironies that we have to spend more time cleaning cars when the weather is, frankly, unsuitable for car cleaning.

It's damp, and while the water doesn't evaporate and leave residual spots on the paintwork, it doesn't dry properly either.

I hate winter.