Author Topic: 2nd Hand GTI - Good Value?  (Read 6366 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: 2nd Hand GTI - Good Value?
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2018, 08:41 »
They do that so that they can offer more in px if you have a car that they would like for stock. WBAC aren't all that far away when it comes to the true value of retailable cars. However, falsely inflated retail prices at the dealers, mean that some customers assume that equates the cars are holding their values well.

When I'm looking to buy a used car I get both valued at WBAC to give me the true difference between two. Then I know what I'd consider to be an acceptable price to change.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2018, 11:29 »
Can’t see a VW getting 6k markup on a 20k sale. More like paying about 16k for trade in, retail at 20k but factor in some negotiation, refurb costs and VAT on margin takes them down to maybe a 2.5 to 3k gross profit.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2018, 12:44 »
I'd have expected dealers mark-up on a used car to be somewhere around 15 to 20%. Obviously the greater the mark-up the more room for negotiation. 
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2018, 15:39 »
As I say, easy to see - check out the value of a car you can see on Das Welt Auto using one of the tradein calculators and compare it to the VW sticker price...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2018, 16:47 »
I have traded in three previous performance Golfs, all through different Scottish VW dealers.
In each case they have advertised the cars immediately for next sale at around the same mark up on the price they gave me.
That mark-up was around £2,000 each time and each time the cars have sold within a couple of weeks. 
Cross-checking with Parker’s and WBAC verified all figures were in the right ballpark.
I do understand that is not the whole picture because as ever it’s the cost to change that really matters.

2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2018, 17:29 »
but a 2000 pound margin on what price car? If its 25k that's not much, if its 5k its a lot...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2018, 17:37 »
I have traded in three previous performance Golfs, all through different Scottish VW dealers.
In each case they have advertised the cars immediately for next sale at around the same mark up on the price they gave me.

The price they gave you, and the true value that they would have written your px back to are two different things. It is all about cost to change, but hiked up px and retail prices give a sense of security to some customers. If you were to see the dealers VAT returns, the figures would be much lower.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2018, 18:31 »
Cars were priced between 13K and 16K......
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2018, 20:31 »
I sold my GTi to a vw dealer for 14.2k they put it up for £17k and my R to a used dealer for 21k and the put it up for 25k both straight sales to them.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2018, 20:32 »
The average profit on a used car at our dealership and pretty much across our entire group is between £400-£600.

We buy and sell aggressively like most groups. Small independent VW garages might hold out for more but the car would need to be pretty special......

£6000 between trade and retail is high end low volume margins at the likes of Porsche etc
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.