Author Topic: 2nd Hand GTI - Good Value?  (Read 6375 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 2nd Hand GTI - Good Value?
« Reply #30 on: 13 July 2018, 14:04 »
I'd imagine WBAC is a bit of a gamble on their part.

Like any second hand dealer of any sort you'll find some golden nuggets and you'll also get a load of dross. Its how you handle the dross thats the key to success because the dross will drag you down.

I'd imagine they triage their purchases into different paths to market, but you still need an effective way of dumping the unsellable or you'll rapidly end up with too much capital held in dead stock. Better you sell the dross quickly at cost (or even cost minus) than keep it.

The secret to their obvious success must be in getting those numbers balanced somehow. I'd imagine having good cost controls on storage, transport and auction fees will be one key element of the operation.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 13 July 2018, 19:27 »
WBAC are owned by one of the big auction groups so they are just buying stock for their auctions. They make money on whatever markup the car achieves along with buyers fees
etc.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 13 July 2018, 20:13 »

I'd expect a used car only sales operation to be slim pickings.

You joking?! Selling £3k cars maybe but you want to see the money some of the prestige second hand car dealers are making. A guy I know has a yacht, a fleet of Porsche’s, bikes, latest watches and of course a nice house. From a single site prestige used car garage.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 14 July 2018, 14:19 »
I'd imagine WBAC is a bit of a gamble on their part.

Not in the least as they inspect your car thoroughly before parting with any money and will adjust the price (downwards) for unexpected wear/tear or damage.

I just got a quote for late father-in-laws 2006 Focus and were offered £265 on WBAC. A quick look at Autotrader / Ebay suggests it should fetch around £1K+, so buying it for £265 still offers them a fair margin.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 14 July 2018, 15:12 »
A 2006 focus would go straight to auction.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 14 July 2018, 16:11 »
A 2006 focus should go straight to the crushers  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.