Author Topic: An 8.21 BTG on the Nurburgring in my MK2 Golf.  (Read 12567 times)

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
Re: An 8.21 BTG on the Nurburgring in my MK2 Golf.
« Reply #20 on: 28 August 2011, 15:19 »
DH linked me to your project thread the other day and in all honesty I thought you were taking the piss out of someone or was a wind up with the aero stuff but glad it does work for you.
I would remove it if it didn`t work :wink:

I`m not blazing a trail here, the theory and application is well proven, the difference is, a lot of race series have limits on ground clearance / silhouette etc, so they can`t do as much as I do, but it genuinely DOES work. I need to get a photo of it on track, the amount of spray the diffuser sucks up is amazing !

Fuel cell is more effort than its worth TBH. As I said earlier, there is no benefit to raising the flat floor height.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #21 on: 28 August 2011, 19:35 »
link wouldnt work for me wanted to be logged in
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #22 on: 29 August 2011, 20:08 »
link wouldnt work for me wanted to be logged in

Northloop is worth the log in.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #23 on: 05 September 2011, 12:54 »
Joined northloop just to read the thread, well worth it imo :cool:

Funny I had been pondering what difference if any a flat floor would make to my mk2. A fair bit it would seem, but I'm a long way off doing anything that drastic.

Good video, as for how fast you would have gone without passenger I recall a conversation with a drag racer who advised that 10kg = 0.1sec approx. So for every 10kg you remove you shave a tenth off your quarter mile time. So say your passenger weighs 90kgs that equals .9 sec each quarter mile, which would equate very roughly to +3.6sec per mile. So if the 'ring is 3.2(?) miles long that would make you around 11.52sec slower over a lap with a passenger. So without a passenger would have brought your time down to 8min09sec (ish).

Given that I have no idea how much your passenger weighs but the maths is simple enough.

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 07 September 2011, 18:17 »
Given that I have no idea how much your passenger weighs but the maths is simple enough.

Sorry but your level of understanding is somewhat off here  :embarassed:. The 1/4 mile guy would have been on about losing time during pure acceleration from rest, the ring is not all full bore acceleration from zero speed. Its also rather longer than 3.2 miles so assuming your maths is correct and assuming approximately 13 miles (dont know the precise B2G length) he would be about 45 seconds faster a lap which I think even the OP would agree is stretching things a touch lol  :grin:.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #25 on: 07 September 2011, 18:43 »
IIRC the yardstick is that you'll be about 10 seconds faster without a passenger.

Always much more fun to have a victim though.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 07 September 2011, 21:53 »
I wish it was 45 seconds !  :grin:

Some say its worth 10 seconds per lap. Honestly ? I dunno. I can tell the car is accelerating quicker with no passenger, I need to change gear before certain corners, where with a passenger, I don`t.

However, the car is also a bit more stable with a passenger, so its a trade off really.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2011, 00:37 »
 :grin: Aye, fair point. I hadn't considered it wasn't pure acceleration, but that may have more to do with my driving style than anything else.

Epic time none the less, and have to say Nige what a build thread!

And I thought I was committed. Nasty things those exhaust valves when they get loose in you engine and I truly felt for you when that nut disappeared at the 'ring too. Still, kudos for getting stuck in about it, no point in bleating about it just get it fixed, man after my own heart :cool: :cool:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2011, 11:16 »
Cracking car and cracking lap... Great Video to watch.  Not very often have I seen the ring that clear!

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 08 September 2011, 18:34 »
Nasty things those exhaust valves when they get loose in you engine and I truly felt for you when that nut disappeared at the 'ring too.

Yeah, the nut was a pain, but it was my mistake that caused it.

The valve, well, that was just a PITA.  :angry: I`m just pleased I took it for a test drive, otherwise it would have happened at knockhill. Imagine, driving all that way then it blowing up on the first few laps !  :shocked: At least I had time (just) to fix it when it went.