Author Topic: Golf R in the flesh  (Read 17734 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Golf R in the flesh
« Reply #40 on: 09 February 2021, 13:57 »
Buying/leasing/PCP its all the same - you are paying for the loss of value, only in the latter two you are contracting to pay only the first X years loss (plus margin from the lease company).

No escaping the fact that cars are a depreciating asset and basically a giant money pit.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 09 February 2021, 15:59 »
Yes but I would expect for many people €300 per month will be more palatable than paying almost €60,000 in one go  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 09 February 2021, 16:26 »
Just depends on the person really.

The cheapest way of owning a new car in the UK is to get heavy discounts from a broker, take manufacturer PCP with desposit contribution and then pay it off in full as soon as you take delivery.

That's the cheapest way.... assuming you have the capital.

After that its a variety of methods depending on your appetite for financial risk and available monthlies.

I wonder if anyone these days ever buys a 40k+ new car on manufactuer HP?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 09 February 2021, 16:51 »
Just depends on the person really.

The cheapest way of owning a new car in the UK is to get heavy discounts from a broker, take manufacturer PCP with desposit contribution and then pay it off in full as soon as you take delivery.

That's the cheapest way.... assuming you have the capital.

After that its a variety of methods depending on your appetite for financial risk and available monthlies.

I wonder if anyone these days ever buys a 40k+ new car on manufactuer HP?

The cheapest way of owning a new car

The cheapest way isn't to own it in the first place!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 09 February 2021, 17:03 »
You guys in the UK don't realise how good you have it.

Here in Ireland, the GTI CS is 52.5k. The R is another 11k. Spec either of those up and you're into pretty crazy money. Oh to have the 40k "luxury car tax" problem!

Discounts here are small. You'll need to deal directly with individual main dealers. If you manage a discount of 2.5 - 3k you'd be doing well. There's no concept of a "broker" here in the car buying game. I guess our market is much too small for a Carwow type of model.

Road tax - the CS just about sneaks into €420 per annum. The R is €600 p/a. If you're feeling flush, a Tiguan R costs €2,400 p/a to tax.

On the plus side, I think our finance rates and deposit contributions tend to be better than you guys typically get. The GTI / R is currently at 1.9% APR. It has been available at 0% on and off in the past.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 09 February 2021, 17:07 »

Here in Ireland, the GTI CS is 52.5k. The R is another 11k. Spec either of those up and you're into pretty crazy money. Oh to have the 40k "luxury car tax" problem!

Discounts here are small. You'll need to deal directly with individual main dealers. If you manage a discount of 2.5 - 3k you'd be doing well. There's no concept of a "broker" here in the car buying game. I guess our market is much too small for a Carwow type of model.

Road tax - the CS just about sneaks into €420 per annum. The R is €600 p/a. If you're feeling flush, a Tiguan R costs €2,400 p/a to tax.

On the plus side, I think our finance rates and deposit contributions tend to be better than you guys typically get. The GTI / R is currently at 1.9% APR. It has been available at 0% on and off in the past.

The moral of the story, dont live in Ireland :grin: :grin:

MK7 GTi

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 09 February 2021, 17:26 »

The moral of the story, dont live in Ireland :grin: :grin:

It’s not a car enthusiast friendly country, that’s for certain!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 09 February 2021, 17:48 »
I blame St Patrick. He's driven all of the R's out of Ireland just like he did the snakes  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 09 February 2021, 17:48 »

Can't you hop on the ferry and come and buy one in Liverpool (when the current situation has improved obviously...)?!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 09 February 2021, 18:00 »

How does the price of the Performance Golfs compare with something like a top spec ID3?

Over here the range topping ID3 is about £3k more than a Golf R.
7.5 GTD