Author Topic: 98 golf with no fuel being delivered  (Read 2307 times)

Offline gaynord

• Just got here
98 golf with no fuel being delivered
« on: 30 November 2017, 06:13 »
Hello to all and please excuse me as I've never  done this before.   I'm currently in Oz trying to repair my wifes 1998 VW Golf Mk3 1.8  petrol car which just won't start.  It's done around 76K and was running fine until it just cut out one day it then re- started straight away but the next day only went about 100 yards before  stopping and I haven't been able to restart it since.   If I spray easy start down the air intake hose it starts straight away and runs until that has gone but that's all.   I'm pretty sure it's all to do with the jetronic unit but as I don't really understand how it works I'm really struggling.  I've taken it off and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and cleaned all it's electrical connections with contact cleaner but when I re-assemble it it's just the same.   I removed the two fuel hoses from it and put them into a plastic bottle and when I turn on the ignition the fuel pump pumps fuel out. I can't see any fuel coming out of the jet above the throttle butterfly and I think I should be able to.   I did think that I would try and find another one in a breakers yard and fit that to see if it worked but as they're not a very popular car here I haven't been able to find one.   Also I suppose that it may be the electrical system not sending the power to the unit that's the fault so I could waste time and money fitting another one only to find I still have the same issue.  is there anyone who knows if I can test this unit somehow? Or is there some way of isolating or bypassing the electrics to eliminate them?  Any helpful ideas would be most welcome.  What makes it worse is that it's automatic so I can't tow it down the road to see if will go and I have to keep charging the battery.

Thank you for looking

Iain

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: 98 golf with no fuel being delivered
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2017, 22:15 »
Either hall sender is dead or it's wires are broken or the wiring to injector (one of the two connectors to monomotronic) has a broken wire.
Does the rpm needle move at all when it cranks?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline gaynord

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2017, 21:43 »
Hello and thank you so much for replying - I’ll check to see if the rev counter moves but please could you explain the Hall sensor - what is it and where can I find it please

Best regards

gaynord

Offline gaynord

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2017, 10:03 »
Yes the rev counter needle moves when you crank the engine over