Author Topic: WhiteGolf R Plastered in 1000's of Tar Spots, Please Help?  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: WhiteGolf R Plastered in 1000's of Tar Spots, Please Help?
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2019, 10:40 »
If it’s fairly fresh tar and the car metal isn’t really cold I’ve found lots of soapy shampoo and the bug net of a wash mitt works with very gentle rubbing.
A really soapy mix helps lubricate the paint well preventing the net scrubbing the lacquer and potentially slightly marring it.

Obviously with a coating this bad a spray or three of tar remover needs to be done first. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2019, 10:43 »
If it’s fairly fresh tar and the car metal isn’t really cold I’ve found lots of soapy shampoo and the bug net of a wash mitt works with very gentle rubbing.
A really soapy mix helps lubricate the paint well preventing the net scrubbing the lacquer and potentially slightly marring it.

Obviously with a coating this bad a spray or three of tar remover needs to be done first.

That is definitely not recommended as the reverse side of a wash mitt will scratch and marr your paint. You might get away with on a white car as might be harder to see the damage caused.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2019, 10:52 »

That is definitely not recommended as the reverse side of a wash mitt will scratch and marr your paint. You might get away with on a white car as might be harder to see the damage caused.

It’s a white car we are talking about!

I’d never try it on anything other than white or silver and it depends on how swirl free the paint is in the first place.
Depends on how bad the marks are too. Tar remover should get rid of most of it, possibly multiple applications.
GENTLE is the key word here! Using the mesh to hook the lumps off rather than scrubbing down on the paint. Once the lumpy bit is off the residue comes off with shampoo and lambs wool.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2019, 10:57 »
I know what you're saying but the mesh part can only safely be used on glass. Gentle rubbing might be ok but I personally wouldn't. Tar remover and a microfibre should be all the OP needs.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2019, 13:43 »
I know what you're saying but the mesh part can only safely be used on glass. Gentle rubbing might be ok but I personally wouldn't. Tar remover and a microfibre should be all the OP needs.

I have to agree and stick to the tar remover and microfibre..... might take more effort but what's the point in risking inflicting more damage to the paint. Do this once and keep it protected and it shouldn't really be an issue again!

might be worth listening to Jim_mk7.5, don't you do this professionally Jim?
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2019, 13:57 »
Many thanks to you all for the advice.  I am gonna wait for the Valet Pro Citrus to arrive and then after the Citrus has been left on the paint work a short while to do it's thing I will use a Micro Fibre cloth to be firm but gentle with removing the Tar spots. Then wash the citrus off to avoid any potential damage.

I have already had a go as Exonian describes with the mesh side of the wash mitt with soapy water.  Which has not damaged the paint work yet.  But Following your advice I will avoid doing such a thing in the future.  Hopefully a few coats of Valet Pro Citrus and wiping with the Micro Fibre will do the trick. 

I have to say it is amazing how any panel of my car facing forward even the front facing side of the door handle is peppered in tar but the side/panels not facing forward are virtually unscathed.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2019, 14:30 »

I have to agree and stick to the tar remover and microfibre..... might take more effort but what's the point in risking inflicting more damage to the paint. Do this once and keep it protected and it shouldn't really be an issue again!

might be worth listening to Jim_mk7.5, don't you do this professionally Jim?

Not sure I'd say professionally as such... maybe one day in the future!  :smiley:

A white RR Sport I did was the worst I've seen but a combination of VP Citus G&T remover, Bilthamber Korrsol and finally a traditional clay bar got rid of it all. It was about 5 years old and probably had never had a full decontamination treatment. Here are a few before and after to show how bad it was. Looked like a different car after.

Brenbo - Take your time, some of the tar spots will be more stubborn and require a few goes. Spray and leave for a few mins on the worst ones and then gently wipe away.

NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2019, 14:48 »
Many Thanks Jim_mk7.5 for the before and after shots.  The tar on the front of my car is probaly peppered with 2 to 3 times more spots of tar than the first image you posted.  Many thanks for all your advice as well, much appreciated.  Will give the tar spots a good go later this week and let you know how I get on. 

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2019, 15:54 »
Further to my previous post. I gave the car a quick wash, poured some tardis in a spray bottle, sprayed the effected areas, left it for 5 minutes, the tar began to break down, I wiped it down with microfibre cloth and it was gone. For the larger spots I put some directly on to the cloth and wiped it off.

Took now time at all.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 10 November 2019, 13:36 »
I have just managed to free up some time to attempt to rid my car of the 1000's of tar spots.  I have to say the Valet Pro Citrus Glue & Tar Remover is amazing stuff.  I cleaned the car, dried it then sprayed the Valet Pro Citrus on the affected areas including plastics, glass and paint work.  Then literally within seconds the tar spots started to show orange run marks.  I left the Valet Pro Citrus for 2 minutes to do it's magic as advised, and then using a micro fibre cloth, the tar spot literally wiped off on the first wipe without any effort.  my Car is now visually tar spot free in minimal time. 

Many thanks to all of you who have provided advise and info on this subject it has been great   :wink: