Author Topic: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!  (Read 87994 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!
« Reply #120 on: 16 March 2012, 12:17 »
I still haven't got any money for any fancy stuff right now so can only get on with things that I have lying around or simply requires my time, so......................................

Yes that's right, lots of messy wires...  If you've followed this from the start then you'll know I was forced to bin all of the cars wiring and start again. Click Here for a refresher.  I've rewired it all now and as a result I was quite reluctant to chop in a new alarm.

Today was the day I bit the bullet  The above is an extreme close up (to not give too much away) of a new system I have had for a while.

I left the previous systems central locking solenoids in and had oodles of fun getting them to work again without any reference to their wiring etc.  :rolleyes:

Remote central locking now working,
Interior and Exterior Microwave sensors working with an adjustable radius of up to 1m away from the vehicle
Shock sensors working, don't sneeze near it! (kidding)
Door, bonnet and boot triggers fitted.
Oh and the nice and flashy blue LED

All that's left to do is a hell of a lot of tidying.  You have no idea how painful it was to cut in to some of the cars new looms.  :cry:  But hey, at least I know it was done properly this time.  :cool:

A friend of mine bought me a very thoughtful Christmas present. He came to VW Whitenoise with me last summer and said my dash was bugging him (he's a little OCD).

Present Fitted

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #121 on: 16 March 2012, 12:18 »
Nice little delivery yesterday.  For the years the car was locked away in a unit, sadly quite a few bits went missing off it! (robbed)...   Most of these little bits have been sourced and replaced now but I was still missing a mirror adjuster.  The bay suddenly had a genuine used pair for £4 so I snapped them up.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #122 on: 19 March 2012, 01:14 »
Got some time on it again today to tidy up the chaos from the alarm fitting.  Now everything works it was a case of trimming down wires, hiding stuff, securing stuff and double checking everything and adding some more custom shizzle.

Would love to post pics of progress but not really a good idea with something like this.  :grin:

However, today I did manage to break something.  When testing door, bonnet and boot triggers, I noticed that I still hadn't got round to putting a new bulb in the interior light....  The age of the plastic as come to a head, it fell to bits as soon as I tried to get it out.

Anyone got one kicking about for cheap?

Next electrical installation will be upgrading some bits and pieces under the bonnet that I'm not happy with and an adapted GPS Tracker/Locater.  :lipsrsealed:

Some welding work coming very soon too.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #123 on: 30 July 2012, 16:19 »
Finally got round to getting back on what should be the priority vehicle. My plan is to get both this and the bus to VW Action this year.  Clock is ticking!

Making some phone calls today regarding the desperately needed head and crank work.. Not got time to do it myself now.

Uncovered the golf, found both front tyres were pretty flat  :angry:

Put the battery back on, flicked the key and brrrrrrum... all good. Sourced a replacement WUR from a 93 cabby so will be fitting that this week.

Made some finishing touches to the alarm/central locking etc.  Just need to put the lower part of the dash back in now.

Good bye comedy bonnet.

Hello straightest bonnet I've had since the rebuild.

Thanks Travis  :wink:

Also note my new OMP strut brace, powder coated black.  Purchased for a mere £16  :cool:

Brace fitted, must get my radiator fan cowling sorted, kind of lets the bay down.  I have a better one that requires only a little tarting up before fitting.

Really must tidy up some of my wiring!

New bonnet on, can't be ar5ed to paint it until I have the rest of the car straight. Not very well lined up but I was on my own.

Random shot nose to nose.  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #124 on: 30 July 2012, 16:20 »
It's sad how this car has spent 11 months off the road. Well, things are hopefully looking up. Aiming to to get it running like new, looking like it should and sitting well amongst it's friends at VW action at the end of August (where it didn't make it to last year)

A few weeks ago I got a replacement WUR from a 93 cabby for a sensible price - £15

So I had to get this little g1t out and hope it was the cause of my fuelling issues (incorrect pressures)

Getting the allen headed bolts out was a bit of chore but finally got the unit out.

Cleaned up the replacement

and in it went

Took a few times to prime the system but it barely started and really didn't want to idle, in fact, when given some beans it missed and popped and ran like sh*t.  To me this was a good sign, sounds daft but because I suspected the old one was duff, I had to tune the car to a happy medium to do without fuel pressure regulation.

Adjusted the fueling at the metering head, the timing and the idle and voila!... Running like it should, not been like this since 2004! Ticks over when cold with low fuel pressure, pressure rises whilst warming up and still runs sweet proving that the later unit fitted is doing it's job.  I'm very happy.  :smiley: Oh and my exhaust is sorted for now (unless MOT man tells me otherwise)

Whilst parked up the car has been leaving a nice patch of oil on the ground.  :angry:  It used to leave the odd spot but now there's loads.  Seems like clean oil and I fear that it may be the gearbox.  :cry:  There was a lot of oil spray underneath the car and therefore everything was very dirty. Cleaned every square inch and am now playing the waiting game to see if I can trace the source.

Engine covered in cleaner

After

Anything you see that's looking a bit worse for wear under the bonnet, have no fear, I've got it covered.  :cool:

Forgot to take a pic of how nasty it was underneath.

Dragged out the rest of the interior bits that were still not fitted due to recent electrical work, was pretty minging.  Cleaned it up, finished tidying up the new Alarm, Immobiliser and Central Locking wiring and fitted everything. Doesn't look too bad.  :smiley:  No carpets back in until next year, if I ever bother.

Too many vehicles to worry about these days and the other halfs car's not even in the pic.  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #125 on: 30 July 2012, 16:20 »
"Fog" Light.  :cry:

I think my car has developed tears, it's very sad.  :sad:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #126 on: 12 August 2012, 02:30 »
Ages ago this fell to bits when I simply looked at it.  :grin:

Thanks Travis for the replacement (came from his mk1 jetta he was breaking, same source as my bonnet)... Replaced bulb with a multi LED festoon while I was at it.

:cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #127 on: 12 August 2012, 02:33 »
Spent a couple of days prepping it for an MOT.

Took it on the 4th August.

It only went and bl00dy passed!   :smug: Sooooo happy.

No advisories either. :smug:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #128 on: 12 August 2012, 02:34 »
So far I have done about 15 light miles in it followed by 40 really harsh ones... Goes surprising well considering. I think I am going to raise the rear a little as the front feels a bit to light in the rain.

Last blast resulted in pools of oil on the drive!   :shocked: Open the bonnet and some tool didn't put the oil filler cap back on properly...... That'll be me then.   :embarassed:

Luckily I discovered my proper oil leak before I coated the clean engine in sh*t again.  Seems to be coming from a small section of sump gasket.  No bother as engine work is coming right up.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #129 on: 12 August 2012, 02:35 »
Since Saturday I have clocked 100 miles, most of them harsh, there's some great roads around me. I forget how well this thing goes. Serious pulling power between 4-6k... I can't get enough of it right now, it's running well. 

I have run in to an annoying problem and can not figure it out.  It's so loud when thrashed it's often difficult to hear anything other than the engine.  However, driving normally I have noticed it's developed a clicking sound from the front near side which is in time with the wheel rolling.  The best way to describe it is like having a stone stuck in your tyre.  It's not that though.  Happens in gear and when coasting.

I have jacked up the offending corner and I can't replicate it with the wheel off the road, nor can I see anything that would cause such a sound.  It's a little concerning.