Author Topic: Gear box trouble  (Read 4169 times)

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
Gear box trouble
« on: 27 September 2006, 00:39 »
hi all,
        not had car long and already having problems with the gear box.i never noticed it when i bought it but everytime i give it some welly changing from 2nd to 3rd it grinds its way in.it isnt really bad but its still there and i can still manage to get it into gear ok but as i say only does it when im driving fast and making a quick shift.
put it into dealer and they are waiting for authorisation from warranty company to fix it but they seem to think its 3rd and 4th thats knackered but i cant believe that its gone so soon as its only an 03.I cant remember the word they described the problem with but im sure its the selectors inside the box that are broken so just waiting on word back.i dont suppose this is a common fault?
anyway would like to here your views,cheers

oh and its a 150 PD GT TDI.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Gear box trouble
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2006, 12:32 »
i occasionally get this problem on my 130.  has happened about 3-4 times in the 7 months I've owned the car.

Sorry to say i have no idea what the problem may be so look forward to hearing what your dealer says.

I'm thinking its either the selectors or the linkage may need re-aligning  :undecided:

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2006, 20:46 »
i will let you know the outcome mate.not getting car back till tuesday so a little p****d off. :sad:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2006, 21:24 »
Tuesday!!???  :shocked:

WTF are they doing?? Waiting until everyone is in so they can all go 'ooooo'

No wonder VW have such a poor customer service record  :angry:

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2006, 16:00 »
yeah well i put it into monday but they had to wait for clearance from warranty company before they could even order any parts.didnt get cleared until wedensday but only after i phoned the garage and warranty company to give them s**t.so now its going to take till tuesday as they have to order parts ect.alot of bull if you ask me but hey what can i do.

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2006, 22:45 »
guess what!
phoned to check if my car was ready to pick up today after my work, only one of the parts came that were needed to fix the car so now they dont know when the car is going to be ready.total farse!
cant even give me a courtesy car as they are all booked.explained to them that i was desperate for a car as my g/f is close to her due date but fell on def ears.cant believe how disorganised they are.think im maybe being a bit soft.will need to give the service manager a tinkle i think :sad:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2006, 12:13 »
That's attrocious :angry: Its about time VW opened their eyes and realised that their quality product is being seriously let down by aftersales and service. I experienced this first hand myself at Whites of Camberley. I switched to Martins of Basingstoke who were much more helpful and customer focused. I'm pleased to hear that they have now taken over the Whites group so things should improve there at least.

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2006, 17:12 »
well i defo wont be using that garage again :angry:
not going to be ready till friday now.
never do they think to pick up the phone to let me know it wont be ready for the day they promised.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2006, 17:27 »
nice one :angry:

did they say what the problem was with the gearbox? and or the parts they've replaced??

Offline adam20202

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2006, 22:27 »
i think they said it was the synchromesh in 3rd and 4th but not entirely sure.will let you know when i pick it up, if its ready this time lol