Author Topic: How to Smooth a front Bumper on a MK4 Golf, I done it!  (Read 28364 times)

Offline craig4004

• GTI forum regular
  • I love MK4's, All about the ££££ Though :/
Right, i really wanted a smooth front bumper and really wanted something to do in my week off work, so i thought F**k it il give it a go! I have taken pictures stage by stage so if anyone else wanted to give it a go they could :) Bear in mind, i am a 100% bodywork novice, i was going by instructions over the phone from my mate who done his a while back. Iv seen it done using expanding foam, but i dont really trust the stuff so just stuck to good ol' Fibreglass Paste from Halfords (about £14 for a small tin, which done the whole bumper) Anyway here's how i did it!

So take the rub strip off, just unclips, use a small screwdriver to prise it off.

I glued some mesh behind the big holes, to add strength when using the Fibreglass paste, do this behind the bumper and on all the big holes.

Then fill in with the Fibreglass paste, and mix in the hardener supplied, at a ratio of; Golf ball of Fibreglass paste- to a Pea of hardener. Fill the hole, dont worry about any over lap, sand that off after.

Then when the fibreglass paste is dry, mix up some Upol filler, just your average 'Easy Sand Filler'. You could go with some Polyester filler which is a bit more flexible aparently, but iv seen it done with this and i had some in the garage! Do a very light skim over the top of the fibreglass paste, going from top to bottom in motion. Then sand with 120 grit paper until you get a fairly smooth finish. I used probably a bit too much filler in the picture, but you live and learn eh! Just meant more sanding  :grin:

This is roughly what it should look like when sanded down. Now after this do another skim across the bumper this time, again do it lightly if possible. Then sand down again with 120 grit paper.

At this point i decided to delete my headlight washers (some models dont have them anyway) But heres how to if you do! Cut out a bit of plastic, roughly 2-6mm thick, and cut it so it fits behind the hole like so. Then either plastic weld or use a glue gun in place. I glued from behind and from the front as you can see.

Then again mix up some fibreglass paste and fill in the hole and leave to dry.

Then use some filler over the top, when dried, sand down again and make sure theres no lip or anything.

Remove the washer jets which are held in with 2 torque screws and you will see that both pipes connect into one, and then into the pipe above. I used a big bolt to wedge into the hole, a cable tie and some sealant. ( you can buy a proper plug that goes into the washer tank if you remove the pump )

So now its a case of a lot of sanding, filling small imperfections and sanding again. TAKE YOUR TIME! Its not a 2 Minute job like some people make out, well to get it perfect its certainly not!

I got it as good as i could, then went over the whole bumper with 800 grit, then 1200 grit to get it ready for primer. Then handed it over to my friend who ownes a body shop. I would highly recommend letting a professional paint it, a halfords rattle can wouldnt be up to the job!

I will post up some pictures of the bumper when its finished so you can see the finished item :)

Here's a list of materials i used:
120, 400, 800 & 1200 grit sandpaper,
Upol Fibreglass Paste
Upol 'Easy Sand' BodyFiller
A Glue Gun (if your doing the washer delete)
And a lot of patience  :grin:

Feel free to ask any questions i will reply :)

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
Re: How to Smooth a front Bumper on a MK4 Golf, I done it!
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2011, 18:45 »
looking forward to the finished item  :afro:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline Granta Gti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2011, 19:23 »
Nice work  :cool:

thats exactly what i wanna do when i have some time off. i got a second bumper lying around at work but it does not have the guides on one side, you know the piece that allows it to slide onto the car?? can you get them from the stealers? it looks like it has broken off and dont know how well i could attach a new one to the bumper and in the end i dont want more hassle trying to line it up when i want to put it back on, see i dont wanna do all the work to find the bumper wont sit flush  :sad:

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2011, 19:39 »
It takes some skill to crack a job like that and get the radius correct.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2011, 19:49 »
good effort  :cool:

Offline sveed1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2011, 21:31 »

thats exactly what i wanna do when i have some time off. i got a second bumper lying around at work but it does not have the guides on one side, you know the piece that allows it to slide onto the car?? can you get them from the stealers? it looks like it has broken off and dont know how well i could attach a new one to the bumper and in the end i dont want more hassle trying to line it up when i want to put it back on, see i dont wanna do all the work to find the bumper wont sit flush  :sad:

Found this for yah, I know it's for a pair, but for the price :wink:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?index=7&nav=SEARCH&nid=06344925789&itemId=280688182736

Offline Granta Gti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2011, 21:38 »

Found this for yah, I know it's for a pair, but for the price :wink:

cool mate thank you
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?index=7&nav=SEARCH&nid=06344925789&itemId=280688182736

Offline craig4004

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2011, 23:03 »
Thanks guys :) Hopefully the bumper will have first coats of paint tomorrow in the bodyshop, with a bit of luck i will have it back thursday night and can put some new pics up :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2011, 23:58 »
Great work so far plus really good write up :afro:

Offline craig4004

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2011, 11:37 »
Thanks Wayne :)