Author Topic: EDITION 30 BLUEFIN  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Russ.C

• I live here
Re: EDITION 30 BLUEFIN
« Reply #20 on: 11 June 2007, 10:41 »
BMX - nice to see someone with some positive comments on the Bluefin! your comments mirror my feelings! As you mentioned it only kicks in above 3k, so it doesn't seem to make a difference on fuel consumpion..which is a bonus! But the power is there when you need it :evil: By the way I put mine back to standard map on saturday (just checking it worked!), went out for a drive and it felt...dare I say it...slow! Suppose its what you get used to! Looking forward to getting that Milltek now...
GTI Edition 30, 3Dr, Manual, Black Pearl, Xenons, Ipod, Highline, Rear Tints & Superchips Bluefin ;)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2007, 13:27 »
People using BLuefin, think about this:

Ed.30 has the same intercooler as normal GTI. S3, which has donated the engine to Ed.30 uses a bigger intercooler, and that only with 265hp!

And now with 300hp your engine and turbo are running quite a bunch hotter.

Maybe, for your own good, you should give some thought to a new, bigger intercooler and maybe an exhaust system with large bore downpipe.

....I'd like to quote Mike from Forge (USA) commenting about our stock intercoolers on the 'standard' GTI:

"The stock intercooler IS, indeed, very efficient. Given it's poor placement, however.

It is very effective at cooling the charge pressure to a given degree, but it's placement obviously leaves room for improvement.

There has been testing done, however, and I wish I had the data handy, but I don't, that shows the stock intercooler has the thermal capacity to allow charge pressure temperatures to be cooled to as low as ambient under certain conditions. This is VERY effective by ANY intercooler's standards.

If, for example, the stock intercooler, were removed from it's current placement between the radiator and AC condenser, and moved to the front of the AC condenser altogether, it's thermal efficiency would likely improve, but only to a degree.

If our kit, is used for example, and a second core is added, adding to the thermal capacity of the stock unit, it's efficiency, again improves, to a degree.

Lastly, replacing the stock unit altogether, can also provide an improvement, but again to a degree. Though I have yet to see before and after dynos of a stock replacement (stock location) unit as of yet.

By starting with a fairly efficient stock unit, you can make improvements sure, but a lot of the work has been done for you, and the stock intercooler is hardly anything to scoff at. It has even been used as an upgrade on the older 1.8T applications with great success, and it's size and thermal dispersion capacity is phenomenal as an OEM part on any comparable application"

Which I think puts into question how worthwhile a replacement intercooler (FMIC) would be. It's not as if a fast road-going Ed30 is continually subjected to the sort of heat levels experienced on the track. In my opinion.

Robin, interesting observations and comments.

However, under certain road going conditions, the standard intercooler will give a noticeable effect of reduced efficiency.  Take a long series of hairpin bends in a mountain pass, where you may be using high engine revs, but in a low gear.  This will obviously be at quite low road speeds, and therefore dramatically reduced airflow through the rads/intercooler and engine compartment.  It wall also give a much increased underbonnet temperature, and the resultant "heat-soak" will be transferred to the standard intercooler.  The additional Forge item is further forward, and is a small but important distance away from the radiator and condensor, and will be much less prone to heat soak in these circumstances.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2007, 18:17 »

However, under certain road going conditions, the standard intercooler will give a noticeable effect of reduced efficiency.  Take a long series of hairpin bends in a mountain pass, where you may be using high engine revs, but in a low gear.  This will obviously be at quite low road speeds, and therefore dramatically reduced airflow through the rads/intercooler and engine compartment.  It wall also give a much increased underbonnet temperature, and the resultant "heat-soak" will be transferred to the standard intercooler.  The additional Forge item is further forward, and is a small but important distance away from the radiator and condensor, and will be much less prone to heat soak in these circumstances.

....Good point. Coincidentally I've very recently come back from a European road trip which included Alpine twisties. However, I didn't find my car had any shortcomings nor show any signs of lack of expected performance. I have Neuspeed Turbo Discharge and Charge pipes etc but nothing to specifically cool the air which is cooler at higher altitudes anyway.

:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline wolfbane1967

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2007, 20:58 »
Ed 30 has not the same intercooler as the normal GTI.The normal GTI has plastic sides of the intercooler,Ed 30 has all around aluminum.So there is no problen to drive the car with 310hp with original intercooler.I have spoken to oettinger about this.And if you want to buy an oettinger intercooler it costs only 540 euro
Golf GTI 6,Candy White,RCD 510,Monza 18",Bi Xenon,Media in,DSG,

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 24 August 2007, 21:13 »
Ed 30 has not the same intercooler as the normal GTI.The normal GTI has plastic sides of the intercooler,Ed 30 has all around aluminum.So there is no problen to drive the car with 310hp with original intercooler.I have spoken to oettinger about this.And if you want to buy an oettinger intercooler it costs only 540 euro

Huh ??

I have the standard GTI, and it has an all-alloy intercooler - no plastic headers on mine.  If you do some searching, you will notice others who have access to the factory part numbers (EKTA) have previously stated the Ed30 and the standard GTI share an identical part number - hence identical intercooler.  :nerd:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2007, 21:17 »

....Good point. Coincidentally I've very recently come back from a European road trip which included Alpine twisties. However, I didn't find my car had any shortcomings nor show any signs of lack of expected performance. I have Neuspeed Turbo Discharge and Charge pipes etc but nothing to specifically cool the air which is cooler at higher altitudes anyway.

Very true, but on the flip side, at higher altitudes, the air is less dense too (containing less oxygen molecules, compared to that at sea-level - for the same volume).
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline wolfbane1967

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 25 August 2007, 08:47 »

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #27 on: 25 August 2007, 09:45 »
Thanks TT - I learn something new every day.

I don't think it's worth changing the stock intercooler unless you drive a lot of track days or live in areas with hot climates and lots of twisties. The stock cooler seems pretty good from reading reports.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline wolfbane1967

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 25 August 2007, 09:56 »
Its for shure worth if you upgradefor more hp.Just read thath the S3 intercooler was 60% larger than gti/ed 30 stock!