Author Topic: " Running In"...fact or fantasy?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline karenhare

• Not said much yet
" Running In"...fact or fantasy?
« on: 03 October 2006, 19:46 »
Well...here's a thing...encountered two diametrically opposite schools of thought here. School one...take your new car easy for the first 1000k. and the engine will settle in...you'll get better mpg and the engine will last better...second school of thought...running in be buggered...drive the car as you mean to go on...the more you welly it the better it will go...and far zappier for longer too....So then what do you lot reckon?

Offline nick35

• Not said much yet
Re: " Running In"...fact or fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2006, 10:47 »
Wait till she's warm, then thrash her within an inch of her life!! Then smoke a fag, and then go for a drive. :wink:
As long as one has his health, and is standing vertically above ground,then everything else in life is a bonus..

Offline lowdown

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2006, 10:53 »
Taking a slightly more disciplined approach.....
Chapter and verse from Wolfsburg states....
Booklet 3.2 Tips and Maintenance Page 13.  Running in.

Up to 1000km
Do not drive faster than 3/4 of top speed.
Do not use full throttle.
Avoid high engine speeds.
Do not tow a trailer

From 1000-1500km
Speeds can be gradually increased to the maximum road speed or engine speed(rpm)

it also states:
During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is greater than later on when all the moving parts have bedded down.

For the sake of the environment
If the engine is run in gently, the life of the engine will be increased and its oil consumption reduced.

Tyres and Brake pads
New tyres should be run in carefully in the first 500km.
New brake pads should be run in carefully in the first 200 - 300km.

I firmly believe an initial running period as described above is best.  All the bits of the car are constructed to very high engineering tolerances, but there will be small variations.  By allowing the engine to 'bed - in' it allows the engine to do the final fine tuning itself.

So take it easy for the first 750 miles then head for the Nurburgring.  Once run - in the car is many times tougher than what the average driver can throw at it.

I have heard (don't know where) that the FSI engine management system 'learns' how the car is driven and optimise's settings accordingly.  Anybody know if this is true?

Offline golfpro

• I live here
  • If in doubt, pay someone else to do it!
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2006, 10:57 »
Wait till she's warm, then thrash her within an inch of her life!! Then smoke a f*g, and then go for a drive. :wink:

nice!

Id have thought running in a new engine has to be a good idea. Get all the moving parts moving slowly and gradually before really driving it. Im not mechanically minded atall but Id certainly want to take it easy with a new engine at first!

thats the best mk3 ive seen..ever! its just clean and subtle.. :cool:

Offline Matt555

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2006, 17:40 »
Personally i like to get to know my motors before thrashing them!!!

Get to know the handling and feel of the motor, this normally takes a trip to and from Cornwall (500 miles round trip).  I call this my running in and then introduce myself to the potential of a motor  :evil:

Offline karenhare

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2006, 07:39 »
That makes good sense. Loving the car and the drive...can't believe my good luck. Would also be interested in the FSI claim...

Offline Sporran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2006, 08:56 »
my dealer just said drive it how you would, can honestly say was red lined a few times with only around 500 on the clock.   :evil:

Even went to nearly 19k before i booked it in for its service, before it told me it needed one, which was aroun 21 according to the comp.

Offline davidlandy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2006, 20:35 »
I thrashed mine from day 1 - on the basis that if it goes wrong its covered by the warranty!

06 Golf GT TDi 170 - a GTi wannabe!

Offline lowdown

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2006, 21:05 »
Excellent point! After all, you've paid for it, why not (ab)use it? :evil: