Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170672 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #650 on: 19 January 2020, 20:34 »
Looks like a Tiguan from the rear. It's been in quite a few articles that two levels of GTi will available on the mk8. A 245hp version and 287 version with the higher powered version being the TCR. I think what will put people off is the price especially when a 1.5tfsi is near 40k euros.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #651 on: 19 January 2020, 20:43 »
Yep. The performance Golfs will clearly be touching and over 40k. The TCR now shows that. No surprise though when a Focus costs £35k.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #652 on: 20 January 2020, 11:36 »
As the introduction to the Mk 7 was way before my time on here, how was the Mk 7 received initially? Because I think we can all agree, that turned out pretty good in the end?!?! :grin: We just have to trust VW know what they are doing.... most of the time!! :embarrassed: sorry mk3 and 4 lovers!

2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #653 on: 20 January 2020, 12:58 »
I know I may change my mind when I see one of the performance MK8 Golf's in the flesh, but honestly, aside from some new tech (and my particular car isn't lacking in that department), I can't see what the MK8 would bring to me over my currently MK7.5.

I know I'm biased, but I think the MK7.5 is one of the most handsome looking hatches ever made.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #654 on: 20 January 2020, 14:00 »
I know I may change my mind when I see one of the performance MK8 Golf's in the flesh, but honestly, aside from some new tech (and my particular car isn't lacking in that department), I can't see what the MK8 would bring to me over my currently MK7.5.

I know I'm biased, but I think the MK7.5 is one of the most handsome looking hatches ever made.

here, here!! well said that man!!! :wink:

I think the only thing that will force me out of my 7.5 is with all the tech currently in them is when the little gremlins start at some point in its life!! :evil: I hate intermittent electrical issues..... especially out of warranty!! :shocked:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #655 on: 20 January 2020, 14:37 »

Don't take this the wrong way, but that reasoning could also have been used for your last two Golf purchases. I know the Mk8 styling isn't as well received as the current car, but the tech inside it is a genuine step up.

I'm also ambivalent about the buttonless dash, but I counted the number of times I touched the physical buttons in my 7.5 on my 35 mile drive to work this morning, and it was just once, to turn the heated seat off. Every other button I pressed was on the touchscreen or steering wheel. At least the Mk8 touchscreen is in better line of sight while driving, unlike the Mk7.5 where i'm looking nearly halfway down the dash.

Now i'm by no means saying it's perfect. But I don't think it's as big an issue as what some may expect. And in the long term it's unlikely there will be much choice, as all auto manufacturers go broadly the same way.
7.5 GTD

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #656 on: 20 January 2020, 14:49 »
Yeah but I remember seeing the MK7 at it's launch (even on the lower level models) back in late 2012 and thinking, that's a good looking car, and when the performance models came along in late 2013, they improved upon what was already a nice looking base car.

I've never felt so ambivalent towards a new car at launch looks wise. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be a very good car, but unless the sport models have a different face I just can't see myself having one with so many other good alternatives available now (M135i, Focus ST etc to name but two).

Also if the price for the GTI starts at just short of £40 as some are "guessing", then it would price me out anyway, as for that price there would be plenty of alternatives. When I purchased my first MK7 GTD back in 2013, the list price (excluding options) was just over £23.5k. That's a hell of an increase in 7 years.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #657 on: 20 January 2020, 15:20 »

Don't take this the wrong way, but that reasoning could also have been used for your last two Golf purchases. I know the Mk8 styling isn't as well received as the current car, but the tech inside it is a genuine step up.

I'm also ambivalent about the buttonless dash, but I counted the number of times I touched the physical buttons in my 7.5 on my 35 mile drive to work this morning, and it was just once, to turn the heated seat off. Every other button I pressed was on the touchscreen or steering wheel. At least the Mk8 touchscreen is in better line of sight while driving, unlike the Mk7.5 where i'm looking nearly halfway down the dash.

Now i'm by no means saying it's perfect. But I don't think it's as big an issue as what some may expect. And in the long term it's unlikely there will be much choice, as all auto manufacturers go broadly the same way.

Seems that Mazda are ditching touchscreens;

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/mazda-getting-rid-of-touchscreens-cars/
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #658 on: 20 January 2020, 16:35 »
(just had to search for this thread as its not on the Mk7 forum lol)

Further to the comment earlier on this thread about "downloadable options" aka "VW DLC".... I've just seen the BMW 1 series has exactly the same.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2U2WyC3MNg&feature=youtu.be

180 euros to buy high beam assist and thats just the example.

I am GUESSING this is to get around the 40k purchase price issue - which might be an issue in other countries too.

Wonder if I can pay for these using Xbox credits ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #659 on: 20 January 2020, 19:15 »
Anyone seen this one currently doing the rounds?
No idea whether it’s genuine or not but is supposedly the performance Golf outputs

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner