Author Topic: Austin wheels - white worm  (Read 8098 times)

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
Re: Austin wheels - white worm
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2021, 10:53 »
Not sold on Belvederes personally-sounds daft,but I think there’s not enough wheel there,too many open gaps,probably why they’re susceptible to buckling/cracking.
I have two sets of wheels and both don’t seem to be popular:-
Milton Keynes for summer (came with the car) and Cadiz for winter,bought with 500 miles on,cause the owner didn’t like them-they were a bargain.
Had both sets powder coated in ‘German grey’,even tho they didn’t need it at the time,I knew they would be affected by whiteworm.
Both sets are a ‘meaty’ design and in my opinion will take more hammer from our bloody awful roads.
Mine is a ‘Tornado Red’ and I think they look great on the car.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2021, 11:10 »
Where have you heard that they are susceptible to cracking or buckling? I've never seen anyone on any of the forums say they've had any buckle or crack. I think you're getting mixed up with the Golf Pretorias. Belvederes are forged lightweight and I've yet to see a buckled or cracked one.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2021, 12:17 »
I’m on a few VW forums and I’ve not heard of any instances of Belvedere alloys cracking or buckling. There’ve been quite a few instances of forum members with OEM Pretoria’s suffering with cracked or buckled wheels though.

It’s been said that the spacing of the spokes on the Pretoria’s might be the reason for their susceptibility to damage - the spaces between the spokes alternating between a large space and a small space means there’s some quite a large unsupported areas around the rim of the wheel. These large unsupported areas could be a weak spot if it’s at that point were an impact with a pothole or similar road imperfection occurs.

The Belvedere’s spokes on the other hand are evenly spaced around the wheel, so unlike the Pretoria’s, there are no large unsupported areas between alternating spokes, which probably helps in terms of structural integrity.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2021, 13:06 »
My mistake,it is the Pretoria's with the issues.
Still not sold on the Belvederes,like I said,I prefer a bit beefier wheel.
Each to their own,as they say.
The guy at ‘Volkswizard’ has just bought a Mk 8 clubsport and he’s changed the alloys-I think his choice is awful,but he loves them.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 11 April 2021, 13:14 »
Safe yourself the stress and buy my slightly shiny mostly satin BBS  :wink: - https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287385.0

If you'll be on your last refurb via diamond cutting, you can only really recut them twice before most places won't touch them due to fear of loss of structural strength. Personally I'd refurb them via powdercoat/paint or just leave them for the next owner.

With regards to copies from CM Wheels, personally I wouldn't run them and the diamond cut face will last all of 6 months.

Plenty of nice options from BBS/ OZ Wheels / Rotiform or a nice set of pretorias is always a good option if you want better durability and want to say goodbye to diamond cut life.

I did notice these actually. Very nice wheels, but like you I'm not crazy abut the black wheels on the Tornado red...
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2021, 13:18 »
What’s a set of clean second hand Belvederes worth on Bridgestone tyres? Is it safer go for new copy’s?  What’s ur opions of Belvederes on mk7 TR? Thanks.

Genuine Belvederes are just about the best wheel you can get for a mk7.
They do have polished faces though which will eventually corrode. Oh and the black sections are prone to a lot of light surface scratching.

I'm actually not a fan of the Belvederes...
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2021, 13:22 »
Some good advice on this thread though - thanks guys...

Though I'm now seriously considering a set of BBS-CH-R wheels... :laugh:

I quite like the VW Rotary wheels too. Assume these fit over the PP brakes ok and are a straight swap for the Austins:

« Last Edit: 11 April 2021, 18:11 by MrJollygood »
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2021, 18:04 »

CH-R where always my 2nd choice in wheel for the 7.5, the removable rim protector is a great bit of kit on them.

I'm also in the group that thinks Belvedere's are one of the best wheels, would love to see a set powdercoated before I pull the trigger on a set for my winter set up.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2021, 18:50 »
I’d look for something with a painted / powder coated finish. If you’re considering BBS, they are a very good quality wheel, but even with BBS alloys, I’d avoid anything described as machined, polished or diamond cut as essentially they’d be diamond cut, so won’t have good durability, especially if they’re on a car all year round  that’s used as a daily driver.

So even a polished finish BBS will corrode in a similar fashion as opposed to a satin finish?
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2021, 19:03 »

I quite like the VW Rotary wheels too. Assume these fit over the PP brakes ok and are a straight swap for the Austins:

I had VW Rotary alloys on my mk6 GTD. I really liked those wheels;

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl