Author Topic: Turning the alarm off  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Re: Turning the alarm off
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2021, 19:18 »
I've locked the car for a short while to pay for petrol/post a letter with the kids sitting in the back

When I was a kid my parents used to get me to hit the lock/unlock button from inside the car when they went into a petrol station etc. That way it locks without the sensors. Obviously it depends on the age of the kids and if you trust them to unlock it and let you back in  :grin:

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2021, 20:54 »
I've had alarm aggro on the odd occasion when I've locked the car for a short while to pay for petrol/post a letter with the kids sitting in the back.  Although they/the car are always within my sight, I prefer to lock as I'm a few seconds away from being able to reach them in the unlikely case of some lowlife attempting something with them and/or the car.

As has been stated, it's a pain going into the menu to deactivate the interior sensors and I've found-out the noisy way it will auto-reset to default 'on' every time as soon as the doors are unlocked, even if the ignition hasn't been touched in the meantime.

Fed-up with faffing about with inserting the key and going into the menu, my solution involved removing the plastic alarm sensors trim and covering the motion sensors themselves with tiny pieces of black electrical tape. Once the trim is re-affixed, there is no indication that the sensors have been effectively deactivated. 

So far it has been successful, but as I try to avoid the mentioned scenario as much as possible it will be a few weeks before I confidently can claim it's a 100% fix.

If it gets nicked and recovered, I don’t think your insurance company would be to impressed. I’ve never needed to turn the alarm of in my Golf as it’s just me in it most of the time, pity there isn’t a sensible double click on the key.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2021, 09:16 »
Doesn't every post in the thread up until this point state that there IS a double press of the key?

Offline urtoinpo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2021, 15:00 »

If it gets nicked and recovered, I don’t think your insurance company would be to impressed. I’ve never needed to turn the alarm of in my Golf as it’s just me in it most of the time, pity there isn’t a sensible double click on the key.
[/quote]

The insurance company cares rather more that the vehicle is locked when required and the key/s kept safe. After all, not every new car is fitted with a factory-fitted alarm even these days.

My alarm is still 'on' and only one element of it has been de-activated - the doors/bonnet/boot sensors and anti-tampering systems still work just fine.  The car is still as unlikely as before to get nicked in my part of the world as the tell-tale red LED on the driver's door still flashes, so no-one could tell any different. Also other anti-theft measures like the steering lock and crucially the immobiliser are still fully functioning. 
2019 Golf '150' EVO Variant/Estate/Wagon (manual)

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2021, 12:25 »
Ring your insurance company, tell them you have modified / disabled your factory fitted alarm, an alarm which is a defined criteria of the conditions of your policy, and ask will that affect your premium. That will tell you how much they care.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2021, 12:27 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.