Author Topic: New GTI PP spec  (Read 5552 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
New GTI PP spec
« on: 17 March 2019, 15:54 »
Hello, after pondering for a few months I'm looking to buy my first ever new car in the Summer and the GTI PP meets my requirements. Looking to buy on PCP with a decent deposit to keep the monthlies low with VW Finance offering a low 3.6% interest rate.

I've been looking at options on drivethedeal as recommended by another poster. Appreciate its a personal thing to some extent but does anyone have any thoughts on my below choices? Anything I should swap? I like the look of Solid white with:

90% rear tints
Sunroof - as much for the asthetic black/white contrast as functional use
Climate windscreen - I do a lot of short journeys so think I would use this a lot in winter
19" Brescia alloys
DCC - rightly or wrongly I see this as a relatively cheap must have with 19" wheels

I'm not sure if I'd be better off replacing the Brescia wheels and DCC with Oynx White for metallic paint.

I would definitely have spec'd keyless and reversing camera so lucky these are now "free"  :smiley:

Part of the reason for me wanting new is that Used cars available don't have many options fitted (maybe ex lease?).

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: New GTI PP spec
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2019, 16:17 »
Can't tell you what you should do, I can only tell you what I would do.

£1k is a lot to spend on a sunroof if it's mostly wanted for the contrast against the paint. A black roof wrap would be far cheaper. As much as I like Oryx White, i'd rather have Pure White and a grand in my back pocket.

I have the rear camera and the climate screen, and am happy with them both. Brescia alloys I am indifferent about, but i'd try and have a go in a car with 19's first to see if you are happy with the ride before speccing DCC.

The GTi is a great all rounder, its best features are the ones that already come as standard. In fact looking through the options list, I think all i'd be bothered about would be metallic paint and the climate screen.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2019, 16:19 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2019, 16:45 »
Standard tint is fine, plenty dark enough. If you are prepared to consider dropping 19s and DCC for Oryx then why not go for standard spec with solid white and save a big pile of cash? If it were me I'd probably go with what I've got again, 3dr TR with Brescias, perfect :smiley:

Oh, nearly forgot, I do lots of short journeys too and find the screen clears pretty quickly, never been a problem.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2019, 17:16 »
Hello, after pondering for a few months I'm looking to buy my first ever new car in the Summer and the GTI PP meets my requirements. Looking to buy on PCP with a decent deposit to keep the monthlies low with VW Finance offering a low 3.6% interest rate.

I've been looking at options on drivethedeal as recommended by another poster. Appreciate its a personal thing to some extent but does anyone have any thoughts on my below choices? Anything I should swap? I like the look of Solid white with:

90% rear tints
Sunroof - as much for the asthetic black/white contrast as functional use
Climate windscreen - I do a lot of short journeys so think I would use this a lot in winter
19" Brescia alloys
DCC - rightly or wrongly I see this as a relatively cheap must have with 19" wheels

I'm not sure if I'd be better off replacing the Brescia wheels and DCC with Oynx White for metallic paint.

I would definitely have spec'd keyless and reversing camera so lucky these are now "free"  :smiley:

Part of the reason for me wanting new is that Used cars available don't have many options fitted (maybe ex lease?).

I can only comment on items that I have experience of in my cars:

Our GTD has a sunroof, I didn't spec it, it was a 5 mile demonstrator that was close enough to what we needed and saved a long wait. I would never have spec'd a sunroof but having had one, there are pros and cons. There have been a few days in summer when it's been great but the cover slide constantly works itself backwards and always seems to be a few centimetres from the fully closed position. It's a minor irritation. The other thing that's a bit of a pain is cleaning the mesh on the sunroof. The diffuser material is very fine and insect life builds up on it. From a performance perspective, it's a lot of weight up high but I've never driven cars with and without to say that you can feel the difference.

90% rear tints are good for privacy and more for aesthetic.

Climate windscreen is something that I've spec'd on a recent car I've ordered. De-icer isn't great for sealants and finishes so would rather heat the screen. I'm hoping that they introduce a software update which allows you to warm the car up remotely where the climate windscreen would really come into its own! I wouldn't say it's not an essential option though.

Hope this helps.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2019, 22:01 »
Having ordered mine in January and taken delivery last week; given the options you've listed below my take on each of them is:

90% rear tints
Personally, I wouldn't bother as standard tint is 65% and is good enough.  But it's a relatively cheap option so neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

Sunroof
Save your cash, you'll never use it in the UK anyway!

Climate windscreen
Can't really comment on this one, mine is garaged overnight so de-icing has never been a problem for me.

19" Brescia alloys
I spec'd these more because I disliked the standard 18" Parkers than liking the Brescia style, which I'm indifferent to.  In hindsight I'd probably just pick the standard wheels now.  Having seen them for the first time in the flesh recently, they're not as bad as they look in photos and videos.  Online they look as if they're funnel-shaped and go in at the centre but you don't see this in real life and the black accents are more apparent.  I've changed my opinion on them.  That said, the Brescia rides ok despite having a 19 inch rim, so if you like the style, go for it.

DCC
I dithered over this for many hours.  As I was already at the top end of my budget, I was actually considering dropping the 19s rather than keeping them and adding DCC.  In the end, I kept the 19s and took a gamble on not going for the DCC.  The ride and handling are fine, so I'd say it's not necessary but if you have the cash to spare (which you should have, if you've heeded my sunroof advice) I'd tick the box.  As others have mentioned here before, it can really alter the dynamics of the car and make for a really comfortable drive if you're not in the mood for a B-road blast.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2019, 22:51 »
Spec is obviously a personal choice but I’m glad I chose 19 inch Brescias, leather interior and Dynaudio sound. Indium Grey is a great colour but then I’m biased  :laugh:. The GTi leather with red stitching looks great and in my view gives the car a more luxury feel. I had a Mk7 GTi for 3 years with checked cloth seats and was more than happy with this but my Mk7.5 does feel a step up.
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2019, 07:22 »
If I was ordering a new 7.5 I'd go for Art Velours interior. Adds some leather around the trim but none of the disadvantages of leather seats. And they look rather nice too.   

Offline Bengunn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2019, 08:47 »
Forget the sunroof.
Thought long and hard before getting one on my car, wish I had not.
Groans and creaks in hot weather when closed and as others have said get the roof wrapped instead because the black effect does look good.
Also 'cos of our weather it is rarely used.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2019, 09:55 »
Options are personal and linked to budget, so only you can really decide. There are types "need" options which you couldn't live without, and "nice to haves".

The fact you are thinking of adding a paint rather than DCC & wheels is an indicator to me that you are not quite yet at a place where you know what options you "need". Go and test drive cars, experience options and find out for yourself what ticks your boxes.

For me DCC and Dynaudio were must have "need", no question. That's because of the type of driving I do and my love of music. I wasn't buying a car without them. My thoughts on DCC can be found HERE. Dynaudio is night & day different to the standard, so if music is your thing, make sure you tick the box.

Sunroof, nice to have, not essential, but I'd disagree with others who say you'd never use it, mine gets opened as soon as there's any sun, it makes the cabin feel much more light and airy especially on a Sunday morning b-road blast like I was doing yesterday.

Colour, very subjective, only you can choose. There's 'sporty/classic' colours, and there's newer subtler colours which can be seen as a bit more classy. I went for something that is befitting for a 42year old, and something that contrasts with the red detail. I don't like Oryx, I think it's quite a cheap looking colour, if you want a classic colour stick with the solid white.

90% Tints. Not for me, way too boy racer and not needed. The 65% tints are more than adequate. I speak from experience with 2 young children.

When I placed my order I forgot to tick the climate windscreen box, but now I've lived without it, I don't really miss it. Nice to have, but certainly not essential.

As for other options, Leather adds a touch of class and luxury to the cabin, electric drivers seat allows you to get the perfect driving position (again, needed if you do big miles), and the bigger wheels give it a bit of a better stance. But again, most options are subjective.

In short, add what you "need", then add what you want with any money left over in your budget.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2019, 12:19 »
I like a sunroof, and think it's more suited to our weather than warmer climates. When it's really hot, windows up and aircon keeping inside chilled is best. An open sunroof is nice for fresh air, but not with the sun burning your bonce.

We has a pre-reg G7 Match Edition that had a sunroof. I wouldn't have gone out and bought one, but as it had it, it was a nice bonus. It was pure white and looked good with the black contrast. I had the rear of the roof wrapped as well as gloss black mirror covers to carry on the theme.

As for cleaning the mesh diffuser, Henry made short work of getting the dead flies out.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.