Author Topic: Roverdose - 16v Corrado  (Read 11207 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Roverdose - 16v Corrado
« on: 05 February 2009, 20:30 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
  • So long and thanks for all the fish!
Re: Roverdose - 16v Corrado
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2009, 00:08 »
Right, I desperatly need motivation to get on with it and do the nesicary repairs to my corrado!

here she is on the right recently relaxing with freinds...

The Problem

Brakes- warped/ non existent
    warm up reg- hardly / doesnt work
    5th injector- nearly completely non operational
    Metering head- faulty
    Alternator- not got enough b@ll@cks
    starter motor- intermitent
    Bottom end- Knocking
    O/S cv joint- Rattles
    Thermostat housing??? (pipe leading from top of rad to engine block - leaking like a b!tch (at least 2-3 litres every trip)
    Imobiliser - Intermitently stops headlights, windscreen wipers and blower motor from working 8/10 times it wont work
    small patches of bubled rust due to piss poor craftsmenship by previous crook / owner
    Slow electrc windows
    2x Bent mim 1900's (bastid snow)
    Very worn seats with tears and questionable stains
    Really bad attempt at a sprinter grille (this really is comedy)
    Instruments read in km's

The Plan

Well i have G60 Stoppers full kit including hubs, bearings, drilled and grooved disks with greenstuff pads and a brand new g60 master cylinder from my went horribly wrong jetta with these wheels (now black and pollished)

I have an engine from a golf 16v that i put in my jetta, with all working ancilaries and is pretty sweet with 112k on it

All i need is motivation and a dry workshop which i fear im not going to find so im probably gonna freeze my royal rastifarian nay nay's off as the great sanca caffe once exclaimed!

so im going to leave you with this picture from the day it arrived on my driveway and we'll see where we are next time i post! The original sunroof actually works so its gotta be worth doing!  :lol:

Cheers for reading

Ian

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2009, 21:22 »
"I've decided not to continue with the corrado and ive turned my attention to the jetta! "

Changed my mind again, corrado is back on track, head gaskets gone so next week myself and my good freind nathan are onnit!
I've got some shiney bits for her, 50mm inlet, G60 Brakes which include brand new greenstuff pads, drilled and grooved discs, goodrich hoses and servo and second hand hubs, callipers and carriers.

Fresher looking seats are also ready to fit.

Spent all day today cleaning her before work begins, i also removed the metal plate that was rattling around behind the OSR brake caliper and fitted a set of silver steelies possibly g60 steels, not sure yet tho. Got 5mm spacers all round to fatten her out a bit.

Noticed a few problems that need attending to, it apears my tracking and camber is way way out as my old wheels are down to the cloth on the insides and they wernt that worn before i put them on just before xmas, all the rear brake lines need replacing, spend some time digging away at all the mud that caked the rear axle and im aclually surprised they still work!

2morrow im pollishing and fitting goodies before the anoying work begins so i shall be posting up pics drekly!
« Last Edit: 21 February 2009, 02:14 by Roverdose »

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2009, 20:34 »
Righteo!

Today i started doing the engine work....after some more polishing!

Got my steels on, looking suprisingly good i think! not sure if i can space them enough for my G60 brakes but we shall see later this week!

work begins! see the state of the block!!!

this was at fault...

heres some poor pics of my brakes to go on

and my old 45mm inlet manifold on the left and my new 55mm manifold on the right, although i have some questions regarding this before i fit it

eventually i ran out of time and need to get a couple of tools off my mate that ive either lost or never needed

twas a good couple of hours work, touch wood, so far all is well, Exhaust manifold 2morrow  :sad: :cry: :angry:

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2009, 01:11 »
Well, Engines back together!

i spent the last week trying to iron out problems, when i swapped from the 40mm inlet manifold to the 50mm a few vacume pipes had to be changed as theres no vac pipe on the cold start injector like there is on the 40mm, i thought this was the cause of some idleing problems i'd picked up but sadly it made no difference, whilst the engine was in bits i noticed my dizzy had oil in it so the pillaging of the jetta went on, fitted it, still no change, i also changed my heater matrix pipes to straight through units as they work alot better without that stupid bypass. Spent quite a long time pollishing my alternator and the top of my inlet, filled the lettering in with some fibreglass gelcoat and blue pigment i had kicking around, was all good till my mate came and put his dirty fingerprints all over it! lol!

I booked myself in at RK engineering for this morning and missioned on throughout the week to get my car sorted, first stop was the ambulance workshops where i used to work to take advantage of the facilities, i spent all day fettling my cooland system as everything broke at the same time, i fitted a new cap, new flange gasket, 2 new pipes and jubilee clipped every vacume pipe i could find. Ran alot better no overheating and no oil pressure alarms!

this morning i got to RK at 8, they set the whole car up and fitted my new backbox as the old one fell off, came to be that im missing the rear hanger so got to get that sorted, while they were pissing around with that they very kindly let me fully service my pride and joy on their ramp! i changed oil, filter, air filter, removed snorkel and cleaned the airbox to buggery, lubed everything, hinges ect aswell as some cleaning and inspecting.

After all that we hit the rollers, did 2 runs, first came out at 147.1bhp 125.4 lbft of torque and the second came out at 147.6bhp 125.6 lbft of torque, MUCHO HAPPY!

took her out for her first run and low and behold a knocking noise, the rr knackered a driveshaft and id sprung a leak! later on, on the way home, my header tank decided it had enough and split wide open, temperature shot up and im not a happy bunny! Engine swap on monday!

the leak apears to be coming from the top pulley but i cant be bothered with this engine anymore as it seams to be a bit of a problem child, im thinking if i put my decent non smokey engine in and sort out the blow in my exhaust then go for a re-run i should break the 150bhp barrier! Hoping , Preying

MODS SO FAR

Stainless Intake pipe
50mm inlet manifold
drilled and de-snorkeled airbox
stainless backbox
alloy front water flange
slightly advanced timing

TO DO:

New engine
WUR mod as car is running slightly lean
Replace blowing manifold with 4 branch (in negotiations)
Block vacume pipe leading from throttle body to bottom of airbox as this keeps paddle open to cold air permanantly

In the future...

Cams
Throttle bodies
9a block
fully ported and polished head

Job done! heres some more pics! enjoy...

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2009, 00:36 »
i changed the engine and nearly every other component in the engine bay and things just kept going from bad to worse so its bye bye corrado, hello golf 8v!!!