Author Topic: Checks on New Car Collection  (Read 46039 times)

Offline vw_sales

• GTI forum regular
Re: Checks on New Car Collection
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2008, 20:12 »
If you have an arm rest then you should have the bottle opener.

No arm rest and you get cup holders instead.

But i will add this to your check list.

Take your time, you would be amazed how many people rush it because they want to get in and get out, its 20 k and you wont spare 10 mins.

Ring the dealer before collection tell him you will expect at least 30 mins of his time, take the car for a drive before you pay the balance.

If you have any questions, ask him then, its your car make him earn his commision.

And dont accept being fobbed off, if your not happy ask to see the Sales Manager, if your still not happy ask for the Brand Manager.

When all is ok Pay up and enjoy, see you in three years  :grin:

Offline PhilMart

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2008, 00:00 »
Thanks for this information

I am going to pick up my car in about a week or so (hopefully) and this sticky is and will be invaluable. Thanks guys!

Phil
2008 GTI Mk V Tornado Red 5 Door 6 Speed Manual Sunroof

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2008, 00:14 »
ok..picked my new car up today..big thanks for the heads up on this thread..i spent 30mins looking over the golf..p1ssed the sales guy right off..

cheers

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Manu_R32

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 March 2008, 12:25 »
ok..picked my new car up today..big thanks for the heads up on this thread..i spent 30mins looking over the golf..p1ssed the sales guy right off..

cheers

Atleast you left the dealers happy...i would think  :smiley:

OSIR Front Splitter - OSIR Rear Diffuser - RNS 510 - JL Audio Cleansweep - JL Audio 400/4 Amplifier - JL Audio ZR650 - Recaro Bucket Seats - 3.2 V6 of Pure Power!

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 04 March 2008, 19:19 »
Hell Yeah................

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Matt22

• Just got here
« Reply #25 on: 10 March 2008, 16:05 »
I picked up my new GTi several months ago... and I took a printout of Robin's checklist with me.
The sales guy watched me take the list out and I explained that I wanted 10 minutes to check over the car (he didn't look too impressed). Anyway this list was completely invaluable... after checking over the car I found that the suspension blocks were still in. As I didn't fancy driving 190 miles with jacked-up suspension , I asked the guy to take the car back into the garage and remove them.
10 minutes later, he drove it round front, apologised, and handed the keys over. I drove it round the block and stopped, got under the car and STILL found rubber blocks in the front suspension.
Eventually got it sorted, but the point is that the car was meant to have been checked at the factory, checked at the orignial dealership and checked again at PDI.... there is just no substitute for the new owner to go over the car with a fine toothcomb (I guess we have a stronger motivation, especially when we hand over £20k+).

Offline Wilko2008

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 10 April 2008, 13:11 »
Thanks to everyone for all these above comments.

I pick mine up at near the end of April and will take this list with me.

A comment on the bottle opener is that it comes with the version with the armrest and the salesman said they often go missing from the showroom models! So perhaps you need to help liberate one from the showroom to replace your missing one, Gulfstream! :evil:
Keep away from the bad people

Offline mart

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2008, 11:32 »
Thanks that's brilliant, I will go armed with my clipboard and question sheet!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 17 May 2008, 00:48 »
I thought I'd copy this on Imports from JonnyG as it is useful info on imported car buying:-

"I'm on my 2nd import GTi and hav'nt encountered any problems....saved thousands on new and got around £500 less on trade-in value. 

Warranty work and servicing has been done just like a UK supplied car.  Dealers want your custom regardless of whether it's an import.

If you keep your car in really good nick it will sell itself at re-sale time. 

If it is more than than 3 years old then there is really very little difference between a UK supplied or import, as both are out of warranty.

The main things to check for UK spec are

1. Spacesaver spare wheel (many imports have a puncture repair kit)
2. The alarm is full UK spec with internal alarm
3. Rear speakers (some imports just have front speakers - but not many reports of this)
4. Headlight settings (some Danish imports had the headlights set on like Volvos  )

Have a look at the service book and see where the PDI was done and what the date was.  Check out the history.  Most imports are fine, but there were a few that had been stored for a year before being sold in the UK - Motorpoint and Motordepot were the sellers of these I believe   

Check the VIN number and enter it into this website and you'll get some useful info :

http://www.abvwc.org.uk/vw_vin.htm

You get the full two years UK warranty from the date of the PDI stamp.  Check with VW UK that the car has been registered with them and they will be able to tell you how long the warranty has left, what servicing regime it is on etc....)

At the end of the day they are all built at the same factory so IMHO I would'nt let it put you off "
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2008, 12:52 »
I have jsut realised that I didnt get a bottle opener with mine ! and I bought it from a dealer !!!!!

I want a refund ! :D