Author Topic: Checks on New Car Collection  (Read 46033 times)

TeddyKGB

Re: Checks on New Car Collection
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2007, 16:59 »
Great advice redrobin (PS why did this not make it to a sticky?)

Anyway I am off with my brother to look at a used MKV GIT this week and he will potentially be buying it - would it be worth taking my VAGCOM kit just to check out any error codes that might be being flagged up?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2007, 08:22 »
Great advice redrobin (PS why did this not make it to a sticky?)

yeah come on Hurdy; sort it out man!!  :grin: :grin:

Anyway I am off with my brother to look at a used MKV GIT this week and he will potentially be buying it - would it be worth taking my VAGCOM kit just to check out any error codes that might be being flagged up?

not a bad idea that :afro:  if the seller has nothing to hide then he should let you check for codes  :wink:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2007, 19:57 »
OK..Stickied :smiley:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline The Kebab

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2007, 09:22 »
Hi Tagnu,

Thanks for your advice, i hope its sooner rather than later - those 10 days are going to be the longest of my life!!!  :laugh:

Printed out TT's list of things to check a few weeks ago with much anticipation.
I can't wait, although British winter is probably not the best time to get a white GTi!

Fingers crossed i'll be doing the 500 mile round trip to Wales in the GTi! Of course I will be going slowly to break the car in gently.  :evil:

Cheers for you help.

Offline john_o

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2007, 13:51 »
in that case remember to get the litre of oil , you may need some of it  :laugh:
and dont sit at a constant speed / gear ! Ive consistenly avoided doing so
(even to the point of looking a daft tw*t on the motorway  :evil:)

Black 3dr Edition 30 manual
DEFi boost gauge | ECS Dogbone | WLineAntiLiftKit

Offline Rollini

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2008, 16:40 »
lockable wheel nut! in the boot with the spare wheel - a bugger if you lose that.. :embarassed:

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2008, 19:46 »
Hi Henspeed

This is a list I collated from various forums before collecting mine.  Some only apply for checking an import is to UK Spec.  OK, I know, it's an embarrassingly long list, but I was spending a lot of money!  Before you collect the car, check with the dealer that you can inspect the car indoors if there's any chance of rain, otherwise you won't see any marks on the paintwork etc.  Get the dealer to leave you alone, he can put the kettle on for a cuppa for when you're done.

If you do find anything wrong, make sure it's noted down and decide whether to reject the car (really tough after a 15 week wait) or get it in writing that the dealer will rectify it later to your satisfaction.

1   Check all the optional extras
2   Full Spacesaver Sparewheel in boot - (UK Spec.)
3   Check the condition of all the bodywork, wheels and interior, fog lights for stone chips (if its got cosmetic damage its going to be down to you once you drive away).
4   Marks on wheels from lashing ratchet strap from the transporter lorry.
5   Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle and all around for anything out of the ordinary. If the car is outside and it has been raining tell the dealer you will be inspecting the car as soon as it is dry as you wouldn't see anything small if wet.
6   Check panel allignment
7   Check the fit of the doors (front especially) up at the top of the window towards the rear.
8   Have a good look at the seats and the fit of all the trim inside.
9   Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs
10   Headlight settings are on UK setting (ie headlights are not always on with ignition)
11   Full Alarm and Immobiliser (check by locking someone in the car, keep still for a minute, and then move arms around) (Import only)
12   English Manuals in leatherbound GTi holder (UK Spec)
13   Make sure all other documents are in the vehicle wallet.
14   Radio security code has been inputted and you have the number etc
15   Make sure there are no stray rags/cloths in the engine compartment.
16   Make sure they have filled in and stamped the PDI part of the service book
17   Bottle opener in the centre compartment (in between gear stick and armrest), dealers like to keep these.
18   Smoking Pack/Non smoking pack (which ever you ordered)
19   Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation
20   Make sure you are set up for the service regime you want (Longlife or time & distance)
21   If there is no top up oil in a little bag in the boot ask for some.
22   Check the bolt caps have been inserted in the holes on the wheels
23   Drop the windows right down, and then put them back up on auto (so push/pull knob the double click and don't hold it).  Make sure the windows don't drop when they're about an inch from shut.
24   But dont worry too much about making sure all the electric stuff works (if there is a fault with the car its covered by warranty anyway) just concentrate on the stuff that the retailer can shirk responsibility for later.
25   Key adapter for locking wheel nuts (should be in the boot, with the spare wheel)
26   Two keys with remote locking functions, plus plastic key tag - with serial number, for ordering replacement key if necessary.
27   When you get the car home check the tyre pressures (once they have cooled down) - they leave the factory at 55 psi (set for long term storage)

28    Drive home with enormous smile on your face.

Hope that helps
Robin

Number 17.... I noticed in a GTI I viewed before ordering mine this had a bottle opener in. The centre compartment was covered with a movable flap and the opener had its own holder.I have since viewed my car when it arrived,(dont pick it up until march 1st).This had no flap,no bottle opener and nothing which holds said opener in place.I figured the demo was specced up.Is this standard in new GTI,s then????

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Golfgirl

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2008, 00:01 »
It's standard in all Mk 5's isn't it? :undecided:  Definitely standard in GTI's though!

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2008, 07:00 »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  :angry:

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2008, 14:05 »
I believe the bottle opener only comes if you opt for the optional Arm Rest - my basic spec car came without both.
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007