Author Topic: Checks on New Car Collection  (Read 46037 times)

Offline henspeed

• Not said much yet
Checks on New Car Collection
« on: 10 August 2007, 11:12 »
Hi

I am due to pick up my new GTi in the newt few weeks.
I have never bought a new car before.
What checks should I carry out on the car before I hand over the cash and drive away.

Thanks in advance

TeddyKGB

Re: Checks on New Car Collection
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2007, 22:47 »
Erm.. check you have an ENGLISH handbook (if in the UK) ;)
And there are NO scratches on the car where it's been on the forecourt where people brush past it.. etc.

Also I would check all the panels line up proper - it's been known for some of these to come out the factories with shoddy panels! :shocked:

Offline Robin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2007, 22:55 »
Hi Henspeed

This is a list I collated from various forums before collecting mine.  Some only apply for checking an import is to UK Spec.  OK, I know, it's an embarrassingly long list, but I was spending a lot of money!  Before you collect the car, check with the dealer that you can inspect the car indoors if there's any chance of rain, otherwise you won't see any marks on the paintwork etc.  Get the dealer to leave you alone, he can put the kettle on for a cuppa for when you're done.

If you do find anything wrong, make sure it's noted down and decide whether to reject the car (really tough after a 15 week wait) or get it in writing that the dealer will rectify it later to your satisfaction.

1   Check all the optional extras
2   Full Spacesaver Sparewheel in boot - (UK Spec.)
3   Check the condition of all the bodywork, wheels and interior, fog lights for stone chips (if its got cosmetic damage its going to be down to you once you drive away).
4   Marks on wheels from lashing ratchet strap from the transporter lorry.
5   Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle and all around for anything out of the ordinary. If the car is outside and it has been raining tell the dealer you will be inspecting the car as soon as it is dry as you wouldn't see anything small if wet.
6   Check panel allignment
7   Check the fit of the doors (front especially) up at the top of the window towards the rear.
8   Have a good look at the seats and the fit of all the trim inside.
9   Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs
10   Headlight settings are on UK setting (ie headlights are not always on with ignition)
11   Full Alarm and Immobiliser (check by locking someone in the car, keep still for a minute, and then move arms around) (Import only)
12   English Manuals in leatherbound GTi holder (UK Spec)
13   Make sure all other documents are in the vehicle wallet.
14   Radio security code has been inputted and you have the number etc
15   Make sure there are no stray rags/cloths in the engine compartment.
16   Make sure they have filled in and stamped the PDI part of the service book
17   Bottle opener in the centre compartment (in between gear stick and armrest), dealers like to keep these.
18   Smoking Pack/Non smoking pack (which ever you ordered)
19   Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation
20   Make sure you are set up for the service regime you want (Longlife or time & distance)
21   If there is no top up oil in a little bag in the boot ask for some.
22   Check the bolt caps have been inserted in the holes on the wheels
23   Drop the windows right down, and then put them back up on auto (so push/pull knob the double click and don't hold it).  Make sure the windows don't drop when they're about an inch from shut.
24   But dont worry too much about making sure all the electric stuff works (if there is a fault with the car its covered by warranty anyway) just concentrate on the stuff that the retailer can shirk responsibility for later.
25   Key adapter for locking wheel nuts (should be in the boot, with the spare wheel)
26   Two keys with remote locking functions, plus plastic key tag - with serial number, for ordering replacement key if necessary.
27   When you get the car home check the tyre pressures (once they have cooled down) - they leave the factory at 55 psi (set for long term storage)

28    Drive home with enormous smile on your face.

Hope that helps
Robin
« Last Edit: 14 November 2007, 22:20 by Robin »
2007 GTi, DSG, 18" Monza IIs, leather, tinted glass, parking, ipod prep, hill hold, cruise, highline and not forgetting - open grille fog light surrounds!

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2007, 08:32 »
Hi Henspeed

This is a list I collated from various forums before collecting mine.  Some only apply for checking an import is to UK Spec.  OK, I know, it's an embarrassingly long list, but I was spending a stupid amount of money!  Make sure you can inspect the car indoors if there's any chance of rain, otherwise you won't see any marks on the paintwork etc.  Get the dealer to leave you alone, he can put the kettle on for a cuppa for when you're done.

If you do find anything wrong, make sure it's noted down and decide whether to reject the car (really tough after a 15 week wait) or get it in writing that the dealer will rectify it later.

1   Check all the optional extras
2   Full Spacesaver Sparewheel in boot - (UK Spec.)
3   Check the condition of all the bodywork, wheels and interior, fog lights for stone chips (if its got cosmetic damage its going to be down to you once you drive away).
4   Marks on wheels from lashing ratchet strap
5   Look very carefully for any small dents or chips. Crouch low and look along the sides of the vehicle and all around for anything out of the ordinary. If the car is outside and it has been raining tell the dealer you will be inspecting the car as soon as it is dry as you wouldn't see anything small if wet.
6   Check panel allignment, especially doors
7   Check the fit of the doors (front especially) up at the top of the window towards the rear.
8   Finally have a good look at the seats and the fit of all the trim inside.
9   Check the transport blocks have been removed from the suspension springs
10   Headlight settings are UK spec (ie headlights are not always on with ignition)
11   Full Alarm and Immobiliser (check by locking someone in the car, keep still for a minute, and then move arms around) (Import only)
12   English Manuals in leatherbound GTi holder (UK Spec)
13   Make sure all other documents are in the vehicle wallet.
14   Radio security code has been input and you have the number etc
15   Make sure there are no stray rags/cloths in the engine compartment.
16   Make sure they have filled in and stamped the PDI part of the service book
17   Bottle opener in the centre compartment (in between gear stick and armrest)
18   Smoking Pack/Non smoking pack (which ever you ordered)
19   Check VIN numbers match between the car and documentation
20   Make sure you are set up for the service regime you want (Longlife or time & distance)
21   If there is no top up oil in a little bag in the boot ask for some.
22   Check the bolt caps have been inserted in the holes on the wheels
23   Drop the windows right down, and then put them back up on auto (so push/pull knob the double click and don't hold it).  Make sure the windows don't drop when they're about an inch from shut.
24   Dont worry too much about making sure the elec windows etc work (if there is a fault with the car its covered anyway) just concentrate on the stuff that the retailer can shirk responsibility for later.
25   Key adapter for locking wheel nuts (should be in the boot)
26   Plastic key tag - with number, for ordering replacement key if necessary
27   When you get the car home check the tyre pressures (once they have cooled down) - Mine were still at 55 psi (factory setting for storage)

28    Drive home with enormous smile on your face.

Bl00dy hell... do you really do all this? I just look at it and say thanks... maybe I'm a mug.  :embarassed:  I'd feel too embaressed going over all those checks.
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2007, 10:24 »
worthy of a sticky methinks  :smiley:

Offline god lovesa trya

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2007, 13:10 »
Robin i like your style
i will print that off and take it with me 2 pick up my car

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2007, 15:47 »
I picked mine up from main dealer, it was covered in rain water, didnt do any checks, hence drove off without tax disc in car! But everything has been fine, 11 months later....  :grin:
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2007, 08:24 »
worthy of a sticky methinks  :smiley:

Yeah, agreed, an excellent post.

PS, why is there no "reputation" or "thanks" system here - or doesn't SMF support it?
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Matt22

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2007, 10:53 »
... Picking car up tomorrow and I want to know if I should expect and need to check for a 2nd key (I assume you get 2 keys, but I read on another post that some people are only given 1 key when they pickup the car).
Cheers.

Offline Cass

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2007, 11:11 »
... Picking car up tomorrow and I want to know if I should expect and need to check for a 2nd key (I assume you get 2 keys, but I read on another post that some people are only given 1 key when they pickup the car).
Cheers.

2 keys with remote locking functions. One of them has a plastic tag with a serial no on to order replacement keys should you ever lose one.

Cass
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )