Author Topic: richandhazel - 1982 Mk1 Golf GTI restoration - UPH 812X  (Read 16413 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Ok, I want to start keeping a diary of this project and I can't think of a better way than posting in here.
Afterall, the whole thing started here in the first place, thanks to jv :cool:
Don't expect major things to happen everyday as I simply haven't got that much time at my disposal, but rest assured progress will be made bit by bit.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2007, 21:50 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: richandhazel - 1982 Mk1 Golf GTI restoration - UPH 812X
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2007, 22:01 »
I acquired the car on the 14th September 2003. Prior to that it had been stored in a garage in Welwyn Garden City for 7 years.....and therefore hasn't been run since 1996. I have kept it under a quality car cover since then. 
John (jv) gave me the lead after a chance discussion at Whitenoise that year. He mentioned that someone had contacted the site and was looking for a good home for a mk1 Golf. I jumped at it and after an initial visit where I established that the car was not going to be started easily I returned with adequate transportation to get the vehicle home.
I initially acquired the vehicle for spares, however, further inspection underneath revealed a very solid chassis and I decided it was just to good to scrap. So I invested in a quality car cover and pushed it into the corner of the garden........where it has sat........until now :smiley:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2007, 22:23 »
Perhaps some photo's from the day the car arrived at my address are in order so here they are:-

« Last Edit: 12 June 2007, 22:32 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2007, 22:39 »
1st June 2007 - Car pulled out from corner of garden and front end strip commenced:-

5th June 2007 - 3 severely siezed nuts on exhaust manifold, underneath, awkward to get at and 25 years worth of use and nature to contend with :angry:

Engine code enveiled, log book doesn't show engine code :undecided:

12th June 2007 - Siezed nuts finally removed after wire brush treatment, working backwards and forwards and loads of penetrant :angry:

« Last Edit: 12 June 2007, 23:59 by richandhazel »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2007, 11:35 »
I removed the cylinder head yesterday. It's all a bit mucky in there where it has been sat for so long. The good news is, both the head and block show very little wear so I would anticipate being able to re-use the original 1600 engine with very little expense required to bring it up to scratch :smiley:
I'll take some pics if it ever stops raining!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2009, 18:27 »
Project now taken over by me.. details to follow here http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=103039.0