Author Topic: Shell V-Power Nitro Diesel question  (Read 11250 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Shell V-Power Nitro Diesel question
« on: 27 November 2014, 18:58 »
Just out of curiosity, I always use normal diesel at a garage but If I was to use Shell V-Power Nitro diesel for example at any time does it matter how much 'normal' diesel is still in the tank at that time, as in is it recommended to only add to a fairly empty tank if normal diesel was used before?
I'm not looking for benefit gains or anything just that on several occasions when visiting a garage normal diesel was not available only V-power so I pulled away and went elsewhere.
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Shell V-Power Nitro Diesel question
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2014, 19:47 »
It won't make any difference at all.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2014, 20:55 »
All 'premium' Diesel sold in the UK still complies to BS EN 590 - i.e. can be mixed with any other diesel (which also is BS EN 590) at any percentage.

Nitro Diesel has the least positive effects on my TDI, I get marginally better mileage and it runs a touch quieter with BP or Esso premium diesel but Shell's makes very little to no difference over 'cheap' diesel.

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2014, 21:46 »
Shell V-power Nitro + Mach 3 Turbo Quattro Super Fusion Pro Revolution :whistle: will help clean up a dirty fuel system (injectors etc) and make a difference in a car that's under performing, but it'll do nowt for a shiny new car. It is less potent than regular Diesel, the super clean synthetic part of the fuel has a lower chain length than regular diesel, and the Cetane number is lower than normal. You'll get worse mpg and the car will be less powerful. The first few tanks in my GTD when new were with the V-power, and mpg was atrocious.

It won't cock your car up if you're left with no choice, but why pay 8p/L more for something that gives you less mpg and power? V-power Petrol is worth getting, the diesel variant isn't.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2014, 21:48 »

Nitro Diesel has the least positive effects on my TDI, I get marginally better mileage and it runs a touch quieter with BP or Esso premium diesel but Shell's makes very little to no difference over 'cheap' diesel.

Completely agree - my previous VW TDIs used to be noticeably better on Shell, but not the MK7. Esso is my usual diesel of choice, followed by BP and Sainsburys.

Offline charv94

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2014, 23:38 »
My opinion, and the opinion of my father and the dealers he has spoken to is, that generally, these high performance fuels are useful. Porsche, Aston Martin, and Mercedes in relation to his AMG, they all say that unless you are interested in track or very very performance orientated driving, filling the cars with these fuels every single time is just not worth it. Filling the car with a performance fuel every 1 in 4 tanks is the approach suggested to us.

Another note i would put forward is, that in a 180bhp diesel, will you benefit that much from a 8p increased fuel to justify it? If mpg was improved, i would absolutely agree its worth it, however most studies seem to show that the variations aren't significant enough
« Last Edit: 27 November 2014, 23:40 by charv94 »
Mk7 GTI - CSG - Now Gone

M135i 5dr Auto - Mineral Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2014, 06:44 »
Charv - read post 3 above regarding the shell expensive diesel. It has no benefits in a new car and is worse than standard diesel. Even the gti doesn't need premium fuel but people still insist it's giving them better performance etc etc. High powered cars will see a difference though like the marques you mentioned.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2014, 17:02 »
It's not worse than standard diesel, just more expensive.... :D

Having a lower cetane number is beneficial (it's different to octane rating). A lower cetane no means the diesel ignition easier.

I found that running a tank of premium diesel on say every 4th fill gave me slightly better mpg (or using regular diesel will increase consumption after a few tanks - guess it has to do with build up in the engine, plus it seems to do more dpf regens on the cheaper stuff).
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2014, 17:23 »
Maybe worse is the wrong word if people are being picky. No difference in mpg for me using nitro diesel so I don't waste the money on it. Stick to esso or normal shell and avoid supermarkets and you'll be fine.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2014, 18:23 »

Having a lower cetane number is beneficial (it's different to octane rating). A lower cetane no means the diesel ignition easier.

You got that the wrong way around, higher cetane number increases the volatility of the diesel, making it ignite earlier (and usually more completely) during the combustion cycle. You don't want to go over 56 though, otherwise the diesel will ignite too early. With petrol, the higher octane number fuels can undergo higher compression ratios without igniting in the absence of a spark (pinking).

Shell V-power has a cetane number of 51, regular diesel is typically 53-54, adding millers around 1:1000 (50ml in a full tank of fuel) boosts it by 2 points. Shell V-power  is also around 8% less calorific than regular diesel due to the GTL content. If you have dirty injectors cutting your mpg down then V-power will get your mpg back up somewhat, but a clean system running regular diesel will get you more mpg.