Author Topic: Service question  (Read 6906 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Service question
« Reply #40 on: 17 May 2020, 22:05 »
The car isn't due it's first service for another 6000-7000 miles, so I won't know until then. :)
The point of all the comments that have been made is that it should be serviced on its first birthday if on a service plan unless the dealer has 100% confirmed that he will honour the service plan outside the VW t's & c's (ie: on variable service regime).

Exactly. If you want your service regime to change to fixed interval (1 year/10000 miles) as per the service plan terms, you need to bring it in at 1 year/10000 miles (+/- 1 month and 1000 miles). If you've gone over 13 months/11k miles before the start of the lockdown (and VWs allowed leeway due to the lockdown), you may not be eligible for the service pack you have.

However, they should do the decent thing if that happens and at least give you 1 major service when your variable interval oil change is due. Whether they'll get paid by VW for not quite following the rules will probably determine whether they will. No-one works for nowt, not even VW dealers.
I don’t want my service regime changed to fixed. It was set to variable due my annual mileage and drive types. The car is setup correctly. I had the £199 service pack added at new (even though I didn’t pay for it) which I was told would cover my first two services, some here say it won’t... but I’ll find out when it goes in for service. If they say it won’t then I’ll politely point out they miss-sold a service pack that wasn’t applicable for my car and I’d they don’t give me my first service FOC then I’ll be off to VWUK to raise a complaint. Until then I’ll just carry on enjoying and using the car.   :)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #41 on: 17 May 2020, 23:04 »
I had the service pack and I'm definitely on the long life regime. No problems at all.

I can't see why anyone would doubt that it would be a problem. It's the first two services, whenever those are.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 26 May 2020, 17:23 »
I can't see why anyone would doubt that it would be a problem. It's the first two services, whenever those are.
Fred - it could be problem as the VW terms and conditions state that vehicles on a service plan are required to be set to time and distance servicing, ie, they are selling you a service per year/mileage, not on a variable basis. Why they do it that way - not sure - perhaps just to limit the length of time they are obligated to the customer under the plans.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 26 May 2020, 18:35 »
Fred - it could be problem as the VW terms and conditions state that vehicles on a service plan are required to be set to time and distance servicing, ie, they are selling you a service per year/mileage, not on a variable basis. Why they do it that way - not sure - perhaps just to limit the length of time they are obligated to the customer under the plans.

And the price VW charge for their 2 year service plans is based on 1 minor (oil change) and 1 major (oil change plus inspection) services at yearly / 10,000 mile intervals.

My car is set for time and distance servicing so I apologise in advance for not knowing what work is involved at each service under the flexible service regime. However, I’m assuming under the long life / flexible service regime, because of the length of time distance a car can go between services, the services don’t alternate between a minor and major service and that each service is probably the equivalent of a major service? If so, then if VW offered a two service plan for cars on long life servicing, it would probably be priced at a higher cost than the current two service plan consisting of one minor and one major service for cars on time and distance service regime.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl