Author Topic: Clutch on it's way out? Advice pleeeeeease......!  (Read 1669 times)

Offline *DubberLovinGem*

• Not said much yet
Clutch on it's way out? Advice pleeeeeease......!
« on: 31 August 2010, 10:25 »
So, we have a gti mk3, and for a few weeks now it's been stalling quite alot at junctions and roundabouts but sort of bumps itself back without completely cutting out, and now twice this week it has done this once on a roundabout and once when pulling out to overtake a car slowing down to park, then when we try to get it going again it starts and revs really high but it's like it doesn't have the 'umph' to pick up speed and makes a real smell when trying to do so.
Ideas? Does this sound like the clutch is slipping and spinning?
Got a quote from a garage for a full 3 part clutch replacement for 275.00. Is it worth getting this done or could it just be a cable problem, as it did seem a bit stiff when we first got the car, but we put that down to it being sat for a while?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Clutch on it's way out? Advice pleeeeeease......!
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2010, 10:21 »
what year is it and/or engine code
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline *DubberLovinGem*

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2010, 14:13 »
It's 8v 2.0L P reg, 97 I think.
We had a look at the clutch cable and it looked as though it was about to give up, so changed that hoping that was the problem and it was just thst sticking a bit. Touch wood, it's drove better so far.....

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2010, 14:47 »
cool. cutting out issue might just be throttle needs cleaning out, coil and crnak sensors common fail on these. ecu and pump relays worth changing as cheap n easy
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline *DubberLovinGem*

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2010, 13:19 »
Right, thanks for that, I'll tell my other half about the throttle, we had it plugged in (vag com?) not so long ago, and nothing came up on that, so hoping the other things should be ok. Thank for replying bud!  :smiley:

Offline polo6n222

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2010, 14:55 »
dose the oil light flash when the car cuts out if so a will prob be a relay