Author Topic: Mini Cooper S - Tested  (Read 1852 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Mini Cooper S - Tested
« on: 11 May 2010, 11:07 »
Hey there

Earlier this year I did an article for MINI in Cape Town. They wanted photography and article to send out to their clients.

Here is the article if you want to read it:

In 1961 the first Mini Cooper entered the world after leaving the factory for its first time. Many assumed that this overly small, unimaginative vehicle would pass like a breath of wind into non existence. It seems astonishing though that although 50 years have passed since the original launch the Mini euphoria is still very much alive. Aided by hugely successful sales records, successful motorsport heritage and millions of joyful miles the Mini Cooper is still just as successful as the original and even more accomplished than ever before.

Ladies and gents I introduce to you the current generation Mini Cooper S.

This is a truly fantastic little car. If I was to liken this car to a celebrity it would be a mixture of Paris Hilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Stuart Little. Looks that attract crowds, lots of muscle below and for its size it has a big heart and soul. Already we can see that the new Mini captures the true essence of what the original was reminiscent of.

Don’t be fooled though. A lot has changed.

Hors d'oeuvre first. The engine has been upgraded to a turbocharged 1.6 Litre engine which produces 128kw’s worth of power through the front wheels with a whopping torque figure of 260NM available from 1600 to 5000RPM. I have never driven a car that entices me to go fast and then leaves me in a fit of giggles. I have never driven a car that delivers such a fantastic driving experience and leaves you wanting so much more. This car is Superman in Ballerina attire. It’s that good!

The engine is responsive and the gearing is smooth. It took me a moment to get used to having 6th gear as the overall size of the Mini leaves you expecting nothing more than a standard 5 speed gearbox. On the road this car not only delivers explosive amounts of power but also tackles corners extremely well.  When driving the Cooper S you never feel as if you are driving a 1.6 litre powered car, an acknowledgement that should be made to both BMW and Peugeot for designing this unbelievable engine. The power delivery is linear with a slight hint of turbo lag before the turbo spools up and then suddenly it snaps your neck, spine and sends shockwaves of fun through your body.

The acceleration although not hugely impressive on paper feels so quick in the cooper. This is in all probability an attribute to the original Cooper S with its low right height and power to weight ratio. The Cooper S feels fast in its sprint from 0-100 in 7.4 seconds and for many people this sensation is what attracts them to this vehicle. In the corners this car excels with nimble, yet responsive steering and although front wheel drive I found traction to be readily available. I however noticed a definite suggestion of understeer when entering roundabouts at unholy speeds. This tendency was easily cured by simply going faster.

There are many things about the driving experience of the Cooper S which will either entertain you or upset you. I wasn’t at all impressed by the assertive presence of torque steer especially on uneven surfaces and the slight wheel spin when entering 2nd gear before the traction control took control. I loved the deep rumble of the exhaust during deceleration (Once again something you don’t expect from a car this size) and the raspy tone of the exhaust at pace. I loved how even in 6th gear at urban speeds the torque was readily available to overtake without the need to even drop a gear. I also enjoyed the way the car happily cruised on the freeway soaking up bumps and the occasional remains of our roadworks. The brakes are very strong and even under heavy abuse showed no signs of fading, something which is very common for the rivals of the Cooper S. What I most enjoyed was the mood swings this car is capable of having. Calm in the traffic, yet manic on the back roads of Durbanville. This car delivers fun in copious amounts but can be sensible. This is go kart handling with a touch of class. I salute BMW for this creation.

The Cooper S is however a very finicky car.

For example. The electric windows are not one touch which means that whilst entering a corner at 300km per hour you have to try balance the steering wheel and lean down towards the gear lever to push and hold the button whilst the window takes its time to close. The overbearing fuel gauge littered in red LED lights constantly distracts you. The start button is in an awkward position. The volume for the completely hopeless sound system which sounds like a weasel singing opera through a Nestle Coffee tin is located just above the buttons for the electric windows and is half the size of the tuning knob which is placed where you expect the volume button to be. The gear lever has rounded edges that leave your palm covered in red circles and to top it off the speedometer is in the middle of the dashboard with a rev counter that I am sure was taken from a Smart car.

But this isn’t surprising. Because apparently Mini owners are indeed finicky people.

This explains why this car has over 4 trim options with names that sound like fruit from a recipe that only Jamie Oliver could concoct. This also explains why the options list for this car is over 5 pages long. This doesn’t however justify the small boot. The lack of rear leg room or the windows that refuse to close when you lock the doors. It also doesn’t justify the fuel you squander whilst enjoying this car or the fact that given you drive this car tenderly it is actually extremely economical and should you ever sell it the resale will be brilliant.

At this point we can see that this car truly does excel in many areas. It seems though that BMW spent a huge amount of time on the engine and body and then employed a toddler to design the interior.  The interior even with its juvenile antics is still a very comfortable place to be. It took only half an hour for me to become accustomed to the positions of the clocks, buttons and only two minutes to lose my keys under the passenger seat after attempting to gently accelerate and not quite succeeding. Once comfortable you begin to notice the attention to detail. The sporty and very supportive seats. The beautiful addition of the twin sunroof on my test vehicle was very refreshing and a necessity when purchasing this car in my view. The racing decals and Cooper S badges were a subtle reminder that you are in fact driving a small nuclear powered rocket and for such a small car the interior is extremely spacious.

You either hate or love the Mini Cooper S.

This car is a fantastic package for any family. Although rear legroom is limited I was easily able to fit into the back seats and although the car snakes under heavy acceleration, annoys me with its overbearing gauges, silly sound system…

I just don’t care.

The Mini Cooper S offers a package that steps outside the norms of your average GTI, F1 Renault, 1 series BMW and Volvo C30. This car makes you smile when you see it and makes you laugh when you drive it. This car gives you an idea of what it was like in the 1970’s and the original origins of this car – the retro yet modern looks, rebellious attitude and the way you feel connected to this car when you drive it is something that most brands in this price range cannot offer. The MK6 GTI is too grown up. The 1 series lacks soul and the Volvo looks like lumpy custard. The Mini although not perfect seems to penetrate your heart and claim it for itself. This is infatuation at all levels. This to me is what defines how good a car is.

If you want a sensible hatchback. Buy a GTI. If you want sheer driving pleasure courtesy of BMW.

Buy the Mini.

And the pics I took:

I love working with these cars.  :kiss:

Any thoughts or comments? I feel the contrast is a bit much on these pics... Am I the only one?

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Mini Cooper S - Tested
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2010, 11:09 »
i think you need a polarising filter

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2010, 11:14 »
Polarising filter?

What is this again? lol  :grin:

I think one of the main issues here was the contrast from blue sky, white beach and a grey car. The CCD sensor on my Fuji often doesnt seem to be able to work its way around colours that are either too strong or too bland.

How would a polarising filter have effected these?

Mike

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2010, 11:18 »
I like them and there is a cohesive style to all the shots. Strong work dude.

Nick

P.S Loving the name of the dealershp :lol: Nearly as good as Dick Lovett we have over here in the UK.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2010, 11:26 »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And how ironic that its a BMW and MINI dealership that has that name.  :laugh: :evil:

Join our group now!

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2010, 12:17 »
without going into the science, a PL filter increases contrast in the sky, reduces glare and reflections on glass and metal (not metallic paint though) e.g. you could remove the reflection from the glass.

your composition is good (not sure on the skip photos personally) but again; i'd say they are underexposed.  for example the second photos, your camera has seen the mass of white in the scene from the slipway and beach, and increased the shutter speed to produce what it thinks is a "correct" exposure, the result of this is loads of missing detail on the car, e.g. where are the tyres, arches, front grill etc

on the sixth photo this actually works well to create a nice high key photo, throw a fill in flash to show the grill / front and you've a spot on photo.

in contrast the photos that don't have an abundance of white, show much more detail e.g. the photo with the skip.

My advice would be to take a look at the manual and look for the exposure compensation setting, this allows you to tell the camera that the scene is more white or black e.g if you're photographing a wedding the bride wears white, this makes the scene more white than the assumed 50% grey, so you dial in a compensation; if you're taking photos at night, then you can dial in a negative to prevent the camera over exposing the photo.

An alternative is to switch to spot metering or to shoot the images for HDR.

hope that helps!

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2010, 12:41 »
I see :)

So will have a play in Manual mode next time. Failing that I think I need a newer camera... This is a standard Fuji Finepix.

Another reason for the dark tones is because I took those pictures in landscape mode. Most of the time this works exceptionally well for photoshoots but in this case it didnt.  :cry:

Mike

Join our group now!