Author Topic: Best Golf R or CS Discounts  (Read 12017 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Best Golf R or CS Discounts
« Reply #30 on: 02 April 2021, 23:45 »
Thanks for that Ado :afro:
Being as the current ID.3s are non sporty models it sounds very positive.
A 4wd version with appropriate sport trim would probably be a winner going from your feedback.

The interior pre-conditioning is something that really appeals to me about EV’s as I work shifts so a warm interior at 4:30am in the depths of winter sounds heavenly!  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 03 April 2021, 09:26 »
Ado: Your slight lack of confidence in the Winter...Do you have Bridgestone tyres per chance?

My incoming ID3 is on 18" East Derry wheels (couldn't bear to be on steel wheels, too tight to pay £1200+ for 19s or 20s). Apparently it's pretty likely that all wheel sizes have Bridgestones according to the EV forums. My opinion of Bridgestones is rock bottom, as Fred will know well! I usually swap them out at the first opportunity, but I'm guessing these ID3 tyres sizes are pretty niche and will be relatively expensive as a result. I'll be hoping for  Goodyear on mine.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 03 April 2021, 09:57 »
This is some of the best ev discussion I've seen... Mainly because I trust the opinions of my fellow golf owners more than anyone else. We share a common starting point for comparison.

It's very clear to me that I'm on a countdown to ev, quite which one is the only thing I've not decided.

The usable speed thing is something that has crossed my mind in the last few weeks. Sure, i can give it some welly but sixty comes around really quick and I feel like there is a lot of unused performance that sits there blowing raspberries at me. It's funny, the gtd never felt like that.

The one thing that still bothers me about ev is the lack of confidence i have in just deciding to drive anywhere, right now. Not sure if I would feel limited by that. Obviously right now is a different situation to where I hope we'll be soon, with travelling becoming allowed soon.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 03 April 2021, 10:59 »
This is some of the best ev discussion I've seen... Mainly because I trust the opinions of my fellow golf owners more than anyone else. We share a common starting point for comparison.

It's very clear to me that I'm on a countdown to ev, quite which one is the only thing I've not decided.

The usable speed thing is something that has crossed my mind in the last few weeks. Sure, i can give it some welly but sixty comes around really quick and I feel like there is a lot of unused performance that sits there blowing raspberries at me. It's funny, the gtd never felt like that.

The one thing that still bothers me about ev is the lack of confidence i have in just deciding to drive anywhere, right now. Not sure if I would feel limited by that. Obviously right now is a different situation to where I hope we'll be soon, with travelling becoming allowed soon.

For the longer journeys we'll still have the Polo GTI+, which will probably become a 3k miles a year ornament. I'm in half a mind to get it sold and buy a banger for my 1 day a week commute.

As a primary car, a 220 mile realistic range EV will cover 90% of most people's driving, it's that other 10%.that's the issue - imagine going on a touring holiday of Europe - what a PITA that would be.

I think it's going to be an interesting experience with the ID3 with very usable initial acceleration and I'm assuming that mid range acceleration will be on a par with the GTD.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2021, 11:02 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 03 April 2021, 11:34 »
Would be interested to hear which is more fun;-

An everyday EV with no real sporting pretence

Or

A small sporty ICE car, such as a Polo GTi

:wink:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 03 April 2021, 11:40 »
Yes it's the confidence in the public charging infrastructure that's the issue, particularly for me if I ever get moving again.

I'm not sure if they will ever actually solve it for some time though.

At the moment the charging standards still keep changing despite the number of charging points increasing. It will be a while before existing low power charging points are upgraded to something faster I'd imagine and some of the juicier ones need more than just a pole change, they need supply connections being radically altered. It's not easy or cheap.

I was reading about the new kia ev6 and it's 800v power system. Capable of really quickly extending the charge... But where will you find those on the route to Provence?  Not for a decade if ever.

Until the oem's finally agree on a standard its going to be like this.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 03 April 2021, 11:44 »

Or

I'm still unsure what fun means with a car.

I think fun is probably only found in something designed as a toy. The everyday cars are not fun really.

I don't think even a clubby is actually any more fun than an id3 to be honest.

Fun would be an elise or an original mini Cooper S or a R1.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 03 April 2021, 11:55 »
Well yes, probably nothing mentioned so far would be more outright fun than something like an Ariel Atom, but at the end of the day you also have to be able to live with it. That's when the fun can stop.
7.5 GTD

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 03 April 2021, 12:07 »

Or

I think fun is probably only found in something designed as a toy. The everyday cars are not fun really.

Wholeheartedly disagree. And I think this is exactly the design brief for a hot hatch- everyday transport that’s enjoyable to drive.
Two problems with EVs in this respect is 1. Power doesn’t build and 2. They make no noise.
Both issues limit their use as “ fun” cars.
Thirdly they’re heavy, though I expect that will improve
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 03 April 2021, 16:08 »
Ado: Your slight lack of confidence in the Winter...Do you have Bridgestone tyres per chance?

My incoming ID3 is on 18" East Derry wheels (couldn't bear to be on steel wheels, too tight to pay £1200+ for 19s or 20s). Apparently it's pretty likely that all wheel sizes have Bridgestones according to the EV forums. My opinion of Bridgestones is rock bottom, as Fred will know well! I usually swap them out at the first opportunity, but I'm guessing these ID3 tyres sizes are pretty niche and will be relatively expensive as a result. I'll be hoping for  Goodyear on mine.
they don't appear to use S001s any more and the brand new Bridgestone Sport tyre is supposedly better than Michelin, Conti and Goodyear. Tyrereviews will have a comparison video soon.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.