Author Topic: New MY19 GTI Collected  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
New MY19 GTI Collected
« on: 06 March 2019, 22:04 »
Finally collected my new MY19 GTI this morning.  Predictably, glorious sunshine all of last week... but wind, rain, a broken down bus causing tailbacks and tractors putting mud on the roads took the gloss (quite literally) off the occasion today!  I've only done about 12 miles in it so far as I had to get back to work but my thoughts so far:

The wheels - I spec'd 19" Brescias without DCC.  Then reading lots of different views on here, it's been gnawing away at me for weeks.  Turns out my fears were unfounded. I know this is very much subjective but to me, the ride was absolutely fine.  In fact I'd say it was comparable, if not ever so slightly smoother than my 65 plate Audi A3 running 18s on S-Line suspension.  So no worries there.

Another thing which was nagging me, was owning two Audi's in a row and now making the jump to VW.  Although I've wanted a GTI for as long as I can remember, for some reason whenever it came to changing my car I always opted for something else right at the last minute so I had to finally scratch my GTI itch this time.  However, I was worried I'd notice a drop in cabin quality and materials.  Other than a few minor points, I'm more than happy with the GTI interior.  The plastics on the dash and doors are soft touch, the door bins are lined in felt, the glove box is dampened etc.  If I were being ultra critical, the only things I could criticise in comparison to the Audi would be the heater controls which feel rather plasticky (rather than the nice clunky chrome-plated ones in the A3) and the fabric material on the door arm rests feels a bit thin.  Otherwise, it's all good.

I personally find the GTI seats and seating position more comfortable than the A3 too.  Although the Audi seats were more adjustable, with extending cushion and seat tilt adjustment, the GTI is better bolstered and for my body shape at least, feels more comfortable on my semi dodgy back.

Dynaudio - first time I switched it on I admit I felt a bit disappointed and underwhelmed.  But once I tweaked the equaliser and changed it from Authentic to Dynamic, I find it much better now.  Not quite comparable to Bose which I had on the Audi, but not far off and decent for the money.  I'm not an audiophile by any means but I appreciate a bit of clarity and bass without the distortion when you crank it up a notch.

Other observations - no lag on the throttle, which the A3 had. Understandable really as that was a 1.4 150ps geared up for economy/comfort.  The first 1/4 of the throttle was a bit dead and it didn't respond for a couple of seconds or so (this was S-Tronic by the way).  It was a bit of a nightmare trying to quickly join a roundabout.  I used to drop it into Sport mode to eliminate the lag, but it hung on to the gears for too long so wasn't ideal to leave it that way.  The GTI is responsive in all modes, with no lag at all (to be expected from a sportier model) so that's one annoyance gone.  The other was the slightly wooly steering on the A3. The GTI is much sharper and more precise, feeling nice and grippy on the bends.

I haven't yet tried out ACC or the matrix LED headlights (that's for tomorrow) but looking forward to discovering new toys as I'm a total gadget freak.  Loving the Car Play too - makes a huge difference and so easy to use.  All in all, really pleased and no regrets so far.  A slight tinge of sadness saying good bye to the A3 as it's the first car I've owned, which after 3 years I would have been happy to have kept for another three.  I'm normally fed up after 2/3 years and looking for something different.  I also feel like I've lost a little kudos by losing the four rings... but gained a different kind of kudos with the GTI badge so that's also been offset too.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to check standard kit or has any queries on the 2019 model.

Cheers.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: New MY19 GTI Collected
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2019, 22:15 »
Good read. My S3 is going on Sunday and the R arriving so in a very similar situation to you. 

Knew you’d be ok with the ride!  :wink:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Wish

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2019, 22:42 »
I’ve owned 2 S3’s and have always preferred my VW’s the Audi’s.
I prefer the Vw brand over the Audi brand.

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2019, 23:07 »
In the A3 range there is no GTi equivalent these days.  It must be 7+ years, (days of Mk6 Golf) when Audi dropped the 2.0T engine.  I would hope you noticed the step up from 150 bhp to 245 bhp  :laugh:.  I've noticed the difference from 230 bhp 6spd DSG to 245 bhp 7 spd DSG, the extra gear seems to give the engine some greater flexibility.  Still trying to decide if the enhanced engine/exhaust sound is real or in some ways engineered (I think only the R has a sound actuator but I maybe wrong).
Agree the one area of the cabin which is a (minor) let down are the heater vents.  Audi with their circular vents have always been a step ahead.  I still need to play around with Dynaudio (only picked my car up on Sunday) so will check out Dynamic. 
Personally I never use ACC (I like being in 100% control).  My car has the auto-dip headlight (I'm sure VW give it a snazzy name).  It's fine at dipping when cars are oncoming but it doesn't dip if there are rear headlights ahead - hence not using that anymore.
The ride is fine.  I'm on 19 inch Brescias too and keep other settings in Sport mode (not gears as they are manic in S-mode).  No DCC and not missing what I don't have!  I can imagine the ride is a little on the harsh side for some but I like being in-touch with the road.  It's definitely not jarring.
Apple CarPlay is excellent - the USB location is a bit fiddly so now just keep a cable permanently in.  It's quite funny to see Waze icons on such a large screen. 
For me the advances from a Mk7 GTi to a Mk7.5 GTi have justified the change.  I passed 200 miles today so still running in.   Still need to play around on digital dash settings (where's the smaller dials option as seen on the demonstrator I drove?)
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2019, 06:01 »
Audi dropped the 2.0 engine in favour of a 1.8 but that was dropped last year for a 2.0 again - due to WLTP.  You can get a 2.0 A3 Sport but not yet in S-Line (again WLTP). The 2.0 Quattro isn’t back on sale either yet.

The GTI does have a sound akuator. Some here don’t like it. I don’t mind it myself.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2019, 08:50 »
Enjoy your new motor, some pics would have been good.

Also, Matrix LED AFIK is an Audi only system. Although variable don't think the Golfs LEDs are as advanced as the premium Matrix system. I might be wrong.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2019, 08:52 »
Pics after it’s been washed at the weekend. It’s filthy already lol. Yeah Matrix is Audi terminology. The VW system isn’t as advanced apparently.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2019, 11:55 »
Hi Mutley

what colour did you get, you must be enjoying it now !! give it a good clean and detail at the weekend ?

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2019, 11:57 »
Isaac Blue with Brescias. It’s a funny colour. Looks dark grey metallic in some lighting conditions but looks a definite blue under the fluorescent lights in my garage. In natural light as it’s gettinh dusk it looks a kind of light grey. It’s a metallic but behaves more like a pearlescent.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2019, 12:19 »
Excellent, yes you mentioned you were happy with 19" alloys without DCC which sounds good, will be good to see some pictures at the weekend as you mentioned, enjoy it !!