Author Topic: Shell V-Power Nitro Diesel question  (Read 11248 times)

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
Re: Shell V-Power Nitro Diesel question
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2014, 18:23 »
Maybe worse is the wrong word if people are being picky. No difference in mpg for me using nitro diesel so I don't waste the money on it. Stick to esso or normal shell and avoid supermarkets and you'll be fine.

A lot of people say avoid supermarket fuel......I can never understand this...??
Can anyone offer a actual reason branded fuel is any better than supermarket fuel..??

Ken
GTI - PP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2014, 18:26 »
Maybe worse is the wrong word if people are being picky. No difference in mpg for me using nitro diesel so I don't waste the money on it. Stick to esso or normal shell and avoid supermarkets and you'll be fine.

A lot of people say avoid supermarket fuel......I can never understand this...??
Can anyone offer a actual reason branded fuel is any better than supermarket fuel..??

Ken

Supposedly less money spent on the detergents and other additives, and history of the silicon contamination screwing oxygen sensors (can't remember the particular supermarket at fault).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2014, 18:33 »
I'm sure it was Morrisons.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2014, 18:59 »
Well I can tell you for certain....

Morrisons
Tesco
Asda
Shell
ESSO
BP

All their tankers and many others all fill from the same road loading facilities....so id struggle to offer any reason one fuel is better than another.

Ken
GTI - PP

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2014, 06:28 »
Morrisons was found to have a lot more bio diesel content than any other brand of fuel which is why I never fill up at morrisons. Unless this has changed since I had my tiguan which ran like a dog on supermarket fuel I won't be using them any time soon.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2014, 12:30 »
Shell V-power has a cetane number of 51, regular diesel is typically 53-54, adding millers around 1:1000 (50ml in a full tank of fuel) boosts it by 2 points. Shell V-power  is also around 8% less calorific than regular diesel due to the GTL content. If you have dirty injectors cutting your mpg down then V-power will get your mpg back up somewhat, but a clean system running regular diesel will get you more mpg.

Most interesting thread.
Even more interesting to learn about the Cetane value of Shell V-Power Nitro+.
I have been using it in my BMW all the time. I will now try some ordinary Diesel and report if I notice any change.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2014, 17:39 »

You got that the wrong way around, higher cetane number increases the volatility of the diesel, making it ignite earlier (and usually more completely) during the combustion cycle. You don't want to go over 56 though, otherwise the diesel will ignite too early. With petrol, the higher octane number fuels can undergo higher compression ratios without igniting in the absence of a spark (pinking).

Ah right, thanks :)
Got that the wrong way around for some reason....
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2014, 17:59 »

[/quote]

Most interesting thread.
Even more interesting to learn about the Cetane value of Shell V-Power Nitro+.
I have been using it in my BMW all the time. I will now try some ordinary Diesel and report if I notice any change.
[/quote]

Yep I agree, interesting read from peoples experiences. So my question was answered and some! And today I received an email for the Shell drivers club offering Shell branded Lego when spending £30 on V-Power!!  :laugh:
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2014, 18:02 »
Regarding increasing Cetane Value, I have used Archoil AR6800 a number of times and I did notice smoother idling, a more responsive engine, better acceleration and a slight improvement in fuel economy.

But then as with all things, there could be a touch of imagination kicking in!

I have not used it for sometime and I do feel my engine does not run quite as smoothly. Will pour some in soon when I get round to buying it.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/869/archoil-ar6800-diesel-full-power-cetane-booster
« Last Edit: 29 November 2014, 18:04 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2014, 18:13 »
Regarding increasing Cetane Value, I have used Archoil AR6800 a number of times and I did notice smoother idling, a more responsive engine, better acceleration and a slight improvement in fuel economy.

But then as with all things, there could be a touch of imagination kicking in!

I have not used it for sometime and I do feel my engine does not run quite as smoothly. Will pour some in soon when I get round to buying it.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/869/archoil-ar6800-diesel-full-power-cetane-booster

I use millers ecomax and can tell the difference when I've forgotten to put some in after a fill up, the doc regens more often without it. Smoother, more responsive and slightly better mpg. Buy a 5L tin for £70 and put a 70p shot in on every tankful rather than spend an additional £4 a tank on V power vs standard diesel.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.