Author Topic: MK7 GT 2.0 TDI 150 Dyno results  (Read 29108 times)

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
Re: MK7 GT 2.0 TDI 150 Dyno results
« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2014, 18:12 »
I'm insured with Admiral and I was advised this increase was based upon the fact the box didn't exceed the 20% power increase (220bhp box) however the 235bhp box would bump up the additional quote considerably.

Monkeyhanger...what box did you have? 220 or the 235? Just wonder if the extra 15 will be particularly noticeable

If you give me a call on 01207 299538 i can explain how we can help on the insurance front :)

The CRD-T is a noticeable improvement over the common rail only option

At what mileage on a new engine should I consider buying one of your boxes Andrew?
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2014, 18:58 »
I'm insured with Admiral and I was advised this increase was based upon the fact the box didn't exceed the 20% power increase (220bhp box) however the 235bhp box would bump up the additional quote considerably.

Monkeyhanger...what box did you have? 220 or the 235? Just wonder if the extra 15 will be particularly noticeable

It was a different supplier's box, another dual channel system, comparable to the 235 in output. Considering I was using Shell V-power at the time I trialled the box (which made my car feel 10% slower without the box on, it was definitely slower than my 170 Scirocco), I was maybe only achieving around 220PS on full setting for what should have been a 241PS system, and that was mental - 235PS should be noticeably better.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2014, 22:20 »

If you give me a call on 01207 299538 i can explain how we can help on the insurance front :)

At what mileage on a new engine should I consider buying one of your boxes Andrew?

We usually say a minimum of 500 miles, give the breaks a chance to bed in
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code

Offline TheCarMadDad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2014, 23:23 »

We usually say a minimum of 500 miles, give the breaks a chance to bed in

Ok thanks. I will be giving you a call when I hit 501 miles :D
2014 Mk7 Golf GTD 5dr | Tornado Red | Keyless Entry | Climate Comfort Screen > Which means I also have the ATP. Also fitted with DTUK Stage 2 box ...Loving every second behind the wheel!

Previous...
2008 Toyota Prius T Spirit (fastest 0-15mph car I have ever owned :p )
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SW
2003 Lexus IS300
2002 Seat Leon Cupra R

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2014, 19:29 »
Just ordered mine.....Now watch the rain and ice return to the UK. :whistle:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2014, 07:31 »
We know who to blame when it does now  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 22 February 2014, 15:05 »
The 235 version or the 220? Be keen to here how you get on. Been waiting for a review from someone and the fact youve had one or two be keen to see how it compares.
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2014, 16:05 »
OK, here it is, done about 40 miles in it since fitment, this is the dual channel CRDT-2 box (rated 235PS)

Firstly, my car has been running a bit sh!tty in the 50 miles pre-box. Smack in the middle of a spell of DPF regenning, last night I had to give my cousin a jump-start when he flattened his battery in Newcastle City Centre last night and called me up, in prime pub-kicking out time. Spent 20 mins crawling around the 1/2 mile of road surrounding the Central train station, which made things worse and then 10 mins of 2000 rpm idling while he tried to get his sh!tty Citroen people carrier to splutter into life.

After a short spell at the Metrocentre this morning, I headed out to DTUK when Andrew confirmed he could meet me (and save me waiting for the postie on Tuesday). After getting there, Andrew fitted the box off his Skoda onto mine to see how it runs (set at 4+1, Andrews recommended top setting). The industrial estate consists of a 3/4 mile long road, and it was empty, so I did a quick spurt to 80mph and back down to sensible levels. Huge difference. Did same on the way back. Andrew then put the software onto the new box and fitted it to my car. Repeated the blast along the industrial estate, my box seemed a tiny bit better, or maybe I was just more confident in it's use. Came back, then had a chat with Andrew about TDIs we've had in the past etc (for about an hour!!!)

Firstly, I would say that I prefer this box to the TDI-tuning box I trialled - they are 2 very different animals.

The TDI-tuning box is raw and savage, some people might prefer that, but for me a sudden surge of power that causes wheelspin at 60mph in 3rd when you put your foot down is a bit of a widow-maker. At times with that box on setting 7, I felt I could quite easily James Dean the car.

The CRDT-2 has a much smoother and linear development of power - as smooth as the GTD's stock power range, but just more of it. Unlike my experiences with the TDI-tuning box, the idling was as smooth as stock - I experienced lumpy idling with the TDI-tuning box, but Buddy hadn't noticed on his. When we took my dad's TDI-tuning box off his MK5 GT 170 to trade in for his DSG GTD, his idling became smoother.

The car ran at the hot end of the spectrum for the 40 miles (24  miles home and 16 miles going to pick the missus up from work) I drove around on after fitting the box (minimum 95C, but staying at 102C for a good 10 mins, and then being happy to be sat around 97-98C for most of the time). I wasn't sure whether the running hot was down to me booting it a bit, or whether it was a continuation of the DPF regen that had been going on. I do think my stock GTD was running on the cold side, as if this was the main cause of my slightly poor mpg and frequent DPF regen.

A few days will tell if the boxed GTD has a preference for running at 95-97C, as my Scirocco did, if so, I might see my mpg and regen interval improve on that score alone.

The car feels complete now, like it was meant to be. At stock i'm feeling it is no faster than my Scirocco 170TDI.

Got onto the A19 at Killingworth, up a long and steep sliproad from the road below. Me and a Civic Type R got on the 2 lane sliproad at the same time and I annihilated the R. It was trying very hard, but not even close. Those things have no torque so maybe a standard GTD would outdo them up a hill (just).

Got home and 90 mins later I went to pick up the missus from work (overtime). On my rolling start run onto the coast road, for which I have measured previous cars performance against by the speed at which I pass a sign, I managed 88mph (it was quiet and I took it straight back down to 75  :whistle:), compared to 81mph average on my GTD and 83mph average on my Scirocco.

The other thing that seems to have improved my drive is pull away from a standstill. The worst thing about the auto handbrake is that I always pull away ultra cautiously until after the autohold has fully let go - it feels like if you give it some for a quick getaway then you'll stall (it probably won't but it feels that way). My car doesn't feel like that any more, the car feels like it'll easily overcome the bite of the autohold for a better getaway. You've got to have a bit of restraint in 2nd - seems the easiest point of an acceleration move to wheelspin if you're not careful.

Over the moon with the box, and on the assumption that I won't get any more regens than I get already (time will tell), i'll have no regrets at all.

I reset my MFD "since start" mpg reading when I left DTUK. It had been an abysmal 41mpg due to all the regenning which followed the previous night's events. By the time I got home (24 miles later), it was up to 55mpg. I suspect that like the TDI-tuning.co.uk box, the indicated mpg will be somewhere in the region of 15% optimistic at the higher settings, making an actual 47mpg far more likely (about what I would have expected from stock with as much hooning around as I did from a hot start).

I will keep you updated with actual mpg/regen info. In fact I might top the car back up tomorrow just so we can see a "whole tank" mpg  that isn't biased by the sh!tty run I had between filling up and fitting the box.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2014, 16:55 »
Great write up! Happy to finally read a review from Mr Joe public giving an honest opinion.

It sounds like you rate the box, but I thought there would be a mind blowing difference but it doesn't sound like it. I think the TDI-tuning box seems more appealing to me, but wheel spinning at 60mph would make me sh*t bricks in the wet. Maybe adding the pedal box further down the line would be an option.

I bet smashing the R put a smile on your face  :laugh:
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2014, 17:42 »
It sounds like you rate the box, but I thought there would be a mind blowing difference but it doesn't sound like it. I think the TDI-tuning box seems more appealing to me, but wheel spinning at 60mph would make me sh*t bricks in the wet. Maybe adding the pedal box further down the line would be an option.

I'd rather keep my underpants clean while pressing on the throttle, than wheelspinning in 3rd at 60mph in the wet and hoping the traction control keeps me in a straight line (as it didn't on my 1st experience - I was drifting a little). The TDI-tuning box is a bit more of a rollercoaster ride, so you might find it more fun, but scary at the same time.

For me though, the smooth power delivery and the fact that it idles normally, rather than like a cold BMW diesel is what appeals to me. Progressive application of the power is going to be a lot more mechanically sympathetic too. The TDI-tuning box can bite back a bit (might not be an issue if you don't have Bridgestones).

Pedal boxes are something that don't appeal to me. Squeezing the response spectrum of the throttle into the first 1/2 or 2/3 of the whole travel is something I just don't want. It would frustrate me to give it half throttle and know there's nothing beyond 1/2 way.