Author Topic: Creaking noise on right turns  (Read 2077 times)

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
Creaking noise on right turns
« on: 21 September 2020, 08:04 »
My 2020 GTI TCR makes a loud ticking/creaking noise when turning right. Especially noticable when parking or doing 3 point turns and it has to be close to full lock before I hear the noise. The car has only done about 4000 miles. I can make a video of the noise if it helps but it's quite noticeable, so I'm sure other owners would have heard it too.

I just thought I would check if it's a common issue before getting it looked at. I may  try to book it in at VW for a repair under warranty but tbh, I'd rather have the car in there as little as possible as I know my local dealer has a terrible track record regarding repairs/servicing.

Thanks

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Creaking noise on right turns
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2020, 08:29 »
Is it only noticeable at low speed manoeuvres? If so, then the noise could be caused by the ribs / bellows on the rubber CV joint boot. The outer surface of the boot can be slightly ‘sticky’ when new, and when you’re performing low speed manoeuvres, these ribs will move together and then move apart as the CV joint boot rotates, and the ‘sticking’ together / moving apart of the ribs can make a noise that has been referred to as a squelching noise by some.

If this is the cause of the noise, you’d probably not notice it when turning at speed, but it would be more apparent when making low speed cornering manoeuvres.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2020, 10:48 »
All three Mk 7.5 GTI's I've owned have done this, in fact even the fiesta st I had before the gtI's did it aswell
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2020, 15:36 »
MQB platform is net Oreo is from springs and top mounts. I would guess it is them. I would push for bilateral replacements.

Offline bgw

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2020, 15:26 »
My TCR has had exactly the same issue for around 3-4 months now.  As you say, it's when you're close to full lock and it seems to be relative to speed - a faster ticking at higher speeds.  If it's the same as yours, it's only when travelling forwards, reverse is silent.

In the end I decided to book it into the local VW dealer for an investigation, which they carried out last week and confirmed that it needs a replacement drive shaft.  Haven't found out much more detail about exactly what is wrong, but they're replacing it under warranty next month.
2019 GTI TCR in Pure Grey
2022 GTI Clubsport 45 in Moonstone Grey

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2020, 21:29 »
They all do it perfectly normal

MK7 GTi

Offline bgw

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2020, 19:53 »
For your interest jf111, my car was at the dealer on Monday for the repair work, it turned out it was actually the o/s CV joint which they replaced. The ticking noise has completely disappeared as a result - I can turn any amount in either direction with no noise whatsoever, as it should be.

Even got a freebie Bluetooth speaker out of them for the hassle  :grin:
2019 GTI TCR in Pure Grey
2022 GTI Clubsport 45 in Moonstone Grey

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2020, 19:35 »
For your interest jf111, my car was at the dealer on Monday for the repair work, it turned out it was actually the o/s CV joint which they replaced. The ticking noise has completely disappeared as a result - I can turn any amount in either direction with no noise whatsoever, as it should be.

Even got a freebie Bluetooth speaker out of them for the hassle  :grin:

Thanks for the update!

Still not sure I trust any VW dealer with my car but I guess I'll have to take the risk. Apparently my local one doesn't supply a courtesy car though due to covid! Typical excuses. I noticed that ALL VW dealers have absolutely shocking reviews online.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2020, 09:37 »
I've been having a similar issue. I get what I call 'the cold weather creak' when going over bumps, but now I've got something new - it sounds like a stone/nail stuck in my tire when I turn at low speeds. Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2020, 11:20 »
Maybe a small stone chip stuck in the brake shield ??
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox