Author Topic: Quietest tyres - what's quieter than PS4 tyres?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
Re: Quietest tyres - what's quieter than PS4 tyres?
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2020, 09:46 »
I think Dynaudio is probably the answer.  It certainly isn't the quietest car to drive, but the Dynaudio upgrade (whilst still proving frustratingly difficult to get a consistent 'just right' tone out of) undoubtedly allows you to turn up the volume to 'very loud' without a single hint of distortion/speaker break up - thus meaning all you can hear is the music...

Dubster67

« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2020, 13:02 »
I think a lot has been sacrificed on the altar of lower emmissions...

From tyre design to vehicle weight (sound deadening, panel thickness etc)

And so this is where we are.

Totally agree, all manufacturers have gone this route, even BMW and Merc.

Regards the Mk7, as Ive said above, another big improvement came when I went to Sachs coilovers.

They have much better damping ability than the originals and I am running them about 5 clicks from their softest setting.

The car used to skip all over the place and rattle your filings out going over rough roads, now it is so much better, it is actually nice to drive on B roads! 

The tyres are only one part of the problem imo.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2020, 16:17 »
It does seem to be a trend, I'm hoping it's getting better as people have said the new 3 series is a lot better, but the F30 was like a tin can compared to the e90.

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2020, 16:49 »
Sorry to hear that ,Baka. Hope the changes you've made help. Helpful to know how you compare two tyres.

Dubster67, how do you find Dunlop on concrete/rough surfaces.  Have you had either ps4 or conti pc6 to compare against? Forgive my ignorance, what are sachs coilovers?

I had a 2016 bmw 320i previously and never had road noise issues with that. Will probably have to go down sound deadening route next. Just hope I don't make a right hash of it

Dubster67

« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2020, 18:39 »
Ive not had michelins or continentals on the car only the original Bridgestone S001.

The Dunlops are alot quieter, and they do feel better over rough surfaces, not a massive difference though.

As said the biggest difference was when I changed the springs and dampers(commonly called shock absorbers) for the Sachs coilovers which are a fully adjustable (height and damping) tuned suspension system.

I have softened the damping and it allows the car to better deal with rough roads.  An extreme solution I know but Ive done it with every Vw group car Ive owned because imo they are just not setup to my satisfaction for UK roads and my driving needs.

Offline DarrenG

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2020, 12:52 »
The PZeros (19inch) on my mk7 seem ‘loud’ to me however they have 5mm+ left so it will be a while before I change them.
If it helps this months EVO has just come out and it has the 2020 tyre test review and guess what they use as the test car....Mk7.5 PP.
Spoiler alert...Michelin PS4s came out top
Cheers

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2020, 15:03 »
Best place for tyre reviews is Tyrereviews on YouTube. Strange how Evo gave the pirelli top place but other tyre tests don't rate it. General consensus for 18s is PS4, Conti 6 or Goodyear Asy 5 and pirelli don't get a look in.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.