Author Topic: "Detailing" el-cheapo. Silverline rotary polisher  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
"Detailing" el-cheapo. Silverline rotary polisher
« on: 19 December 2012, 13:51 »
Popped down to Toolstation and picked up www.toolstation.com/shop/PowerTools/Polishers/SanderPolisher180mm/d40/sd3309/p84532.

£40! Bargain.

Got it home and it didn't work.  :grin:

CBA taking it back so took it apart put the switch back together properly and it works fine. Now it's £40 so don't expect it to be quality made but it's sturdy the motor is strong and it has a DECENT control of speed with a roller switch.

I also bought some cheap £3 foam things Toolstation sell. White, red and blue ones.  Now I DON'T RECOMMEND these. If you care for your paintwork spend more money on better products that I couldn't reccommend as I'm not that clued up.

Anyway, just used it on a test patch sides of the Rav. It's been neglected occasionally washed at a supermarket I do believe. The left hand side of the bonnet looked like this once washed and the headlight is so dull I end up using front fogs on the lanes.

This is the right hand side once I had spent about 10-15 mins on it just trying it out. Headlight is SO much brighter:

Had Autoglym paint renovator on a white pad, SRP on a red and then Ultimate deep shine on a blue. Then one coat of SIMONZ hard wax which makes your arms ache but nice.  :cool:

Beading comparison:

Now this isn't a guide just a heads up on a cheap polisher. It's got a 3yr guarantee! For £40 well worth it for the person who may use it twice a year. I can't see it being ideal for a detailer who uses it all day everyday though.

All I'm trying to do is give the Rav a quick going over with the above (poor no doubt) method and get it looking shiney to the average Joe!

Just gonna eat my beans and cheese on toast and get cracking starting with a damn good clean!

Just shows what about £75 quid can do, turning a run down poor paintwork Rav into a shiney looking motor.

One bit of advice, this is a respray job yeah? Not even paint renovator seems to touch it and I don't want to make it worse:

Cheers. :cool:
« Last Edit: 19 December 2012, 13:52 by Bellend »

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
Re: "Detailing" el-cheapo. Silverline rotary polisher
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2012, 14:00 »
About the going rate for the silverlines.

You could get a pro finish if you use it right  :wink:
:)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2012, 14:12 »
Definitely not too sure about with these mops but will be enough to sell it.

Just started chucking it down. :rolleyes: 

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2012, 14:27 »
Not the mops but the silverline I mean.  :smiley:
:)

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2012, 09:22 »
I've got one too, and can't rate it enough for a beginner. Ok, its heavier, louder, and doesn't have a very long lead, but for £40, you can achieve just as good a finish as you could with a £400 festool! Even if you can't move your arms for 2 days afterwards! lol. I use it with 3M pads and polishes. Cant recommend the pads enough either, and very cheap and easy to remember which pad is for what with the colours of each of them.  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2013, 18:11 »
Agreed. Brilliant kit for the beginner.

Bonnet:

Not been able to get loads done but next week whole things gotta be done as finally got the logbook! So sell time!