Author Topic: "Colliniting"  (Read 2350 times)

Offline gixerthrasher

• Not said much yet
"Colliniting"
« on: 21 May 2009, 13:07 »
Now then.. I've just applied the first coat of Collinite 476 S & I'm not all that impressed!  :sad:
After hours of prepping with Snow Foam, AutoWash, claying & SRP the finish was a deep glossy black.. Lovely!
I've read so much you good fellers have written on this forum & proceeded with good applicator pads & quality polishing towels with the wax only to find the finish isn't as good as after SRP'ing?
I used it sparingly too & let it haze over & had no probs buffing off, then after a final rub down with a clean polishing towel the result is slightly duller  :huh: 
Will it be any better after a 2nd waxing I wonder??
Never hold your farts in.. They travel up your spine and into your brain and that\'s where sh!tty ideas come from!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: "Colliniting"
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2009, 14:14 »
collinite is an amazing wax for protection but not good for a deep glossy finish.

dodojuice soft wax will give you a deep glossy finish but not very long lasting in the protection department.

just my opinion from experience
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2009, 22:54 »
I used it sparingly too & let it haze over & had no probs buffing off, then after a final rub down with a clean polishing towel the result is slightly duller  :huh:

Somethings wrong there. I've used collinite many times over SRP and it never looks "duller". It adds more highlights and gloss to mine.

Its very tricky to remove if you've let it cure too long. Could it have been that? Or perhaps the light was better earlier on in the process, giveing you better reflections maybe.

Perhaps try a spritz of quick detailer and a re-buff.

Offline gixerthrasher

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2009, 07:18 »
 :wink: Nice one guys, thanks for the replies.. I've got some Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax quick detailer stuff I've not used yet..
This I'm gonna use for polishing after washes in the months to come.. Just wondering if it might be an idea to use after I finish Colliniting a 2nd time, although I don't want to ruin the hard wax protection the 476 gives? Hmmm??
You could definitely see a difference in shine on the doors, I'd done them 1 at a time & the SRP finish was super glossy compared to the one "Collinited" 
I'm polishing it in my garage with good lighting so no issues there.
I then start thinking of bad batches, you know, Friday afternoons back at Mr Collinites' factory, etc. etc...  ?????     
Never hold your farts in.. They travel up your spine and into your brain and that\'s where sh!tty ideas come from!

Offline GTiHigh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2009, 21:04 »
Gixer,

Is your car silver by any chance ?

I sort of know what you mean by colli dulling the looks..   to overcome that I used 2 coats of a " wet look " sealer ( Jetseal 109 ) then a week later a coat of colli...    looks stunning now.
1999 - 1.8T ( AGU )
TB Clean
Forge 007P
Pipercross Panel Filter & Smoothed Airbox
Revo Remap - 190 bhp - 225 Torque

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2009, 19:06 »
It definately adds something to my tornado red.  A deeper lusture and importantly it stays like that for weeks (so far  :smiley:).  I polished and collonited my g/f's metallic siver/grey 106 at the weekend and have to admit that it didn't really do anything for it.  I mean its shiney but it doesn't pop out like mine does.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline GTiHigh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2009, 19:17 »
^ As you've seen polish and colli on a different colour car is amazing...  The problem is silver ( VAG silver is quite hard and boaring )

You'll need some sort of wet sealer,  if you can't get your hands on Jetseal 109 then AutoGlym EGP is quite good....   2 to 3 coats of that...  leave it a few days then use colli....  you'll see a big big difference...

Have a look here for explination re wax/sealants :

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/guides_protect.html
1999 - 1.8T ( AGU )
TB Clean
Forge 007P

Offline gixerthrasher

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2009, 10:06 »

The last time I looked it was black pearl!  :grin:
It is a bit dull but feels nicely waxed & protected.. Have yet to try my Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax.. Will try it after the next wash.
Thanks for the advice guys  :wink:

Offline GTiHigh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2009, 10:43 »
 :embarassed:

Must learn to shut-up in the future  :rolleyes:

Good luck m8
1999 - 1.8T ( AGU )
TB Clean
Forge 007P