Author Topic: New for 2011 mk3 Golf race series  (Read 14485 times)

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
Re: New for 2011 mk3 Golf race series
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2010, 18:44 »
Cheers for that, I was having a little look into it earlier, it looks bloody expensive to get started. :undecided: At least its something to aim for, like I said in another post, ive got a voluntary thing coming up with a motorsport team and am starting marshalling, that will have to do me for now. :laugh:

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2010, 21:39 »
A couple of friends of mine race in the HSCC historic 70's roadsport series and they reckon it costs about £10k a year to race and their regs and costs are about the same as the Golf championship.

I can see it all adding up to that:

£1000 for licence and race gear.
£4000 to get the car sorted
£2000 ish for entry fees
£3000 for getting there and back and consumables.

Just got to find the other £9950 and break the news to the wife that I'm spending all her money  :grin:

Paul

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2010, 22:09 »
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Good luck with that then mate! I was gonna get a mates business to sponsor me but he said that he'd only give about £2000 and that would be as a favour. Maybe I'll just start looking at track days, no pressure there. :undecided:  What are the prizes in the golf gti champs? Is it big money or just trophies? I havent looked into that part.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2010, 22:27 »
Would love to compete. Sounds like it could be a great category.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2010, 23:10 »
What are the prizes in the golf gti champs? Is it big money or just trophies? I havent looked into that part.

It'll be trophies and glory - what virtually all motorsport is about - NOT money.

It's just having a laugh with your mates at a high level.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2010, 23:50 »
DH is spot on with this, there's few race series you'll be doing for the money especially if you look to do it as a career. Mate of mine was the Clio Cup champion and has just won the Fiat Trofeo championship and even at this level the monetry rewards are miniscule compared to an outlay of 50-70k a year.

10k a year seems pretty good value for the amount of fun you'll be having plus you've still got the car, wish i had the time and funds to do this. I reckon if i take my little girl out of nursery i'd just about be there  :grin:

« Last Edit: 17 November 2010, 00:11 by jeremybarker »

Making up for lost time

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2010, 12:06 »
I guess that in the scheme of things 10k isnt alot of cash to pay out for a season of racing in a championship at all. It just seems it when you earn about 16k a year. :grin: :cry:

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2010, 12:55 »
If you purely in it for the fun factor and you don't have to be striving for the podium then the costs don't look so bad if you do more than one season. If the car is still in one piece then it's only the race entry fees and consumables, if the series get's a control tyre deal that i would have though the costs would be less than half the 10k laid out in the first year.

I really would love to start racing and i've at least promised myself to get a racing licence just for the fun, guess i'll see where it goes from there really. Maybe when the kids are a little older and i can con the other half that it would be a family day out  :grin:

Making up for lost time

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 17 November 2010, 13:04 »
I like your style -  'family day out'!  :wink:

My first baby is due next week so it doesnt look like I'll be getting involved in the foreseeable future. Maybe in a few years though ay.

What I might be able to do is to buy a car and start prepping it, for track days or summat?! You done any racing before?

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2010, 19:15 »
If you're looking for cheap motorsport come to Brazil and enter in the Peugeot rally cup. You pay about 50,000 reais which is around 18K, and for that you get a brand new rally spec Pug 207 from Peugeot Brasil, transport of the car to and from every race of the season, the subscription to the season, all the FIA approved gear, special discount on all parts (tyres included) and a few other bits and bobs I can't remember.

It works out cheaper than a season of karting, and it's of higher level.

My dad and I are seriosuly thinking about doing it in the nearby future, all depends if his new business goes well (Outlook looks good!).