Author Topic: Dummy Guide to fitting remote central locking  (Read 78568 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: Dummy Guide to fitting remote central locking
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2009, 16:20 »
Big big thanks for doing this, it's something i'm wanting to do.

I have a question, what's the best way to connect wires to other wires?

Again, i thank you. :cool:

cut the wire you want to connect to. choc box the 3 together :) ohh and tape the lot

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2009, 16:22 »
lol proper way is solder and heatshrink  :wink: but yeah that way is fine too, just dont twist them and sellotape them like i have found several times  :shocked:

Offline Madmax

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2009, 16:25 »
Thank you both but still a little confused as to how he connected the thick red wire to the red switch?

:)
« Last Edit: 11 August 2009, 16:30 by Madmax »

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2009, 17:05 »
not sure myself how he did it the picture is unclear

Offline mk3 tdi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2009, 18:46 »
the transponder just slips out of old key and there is a place for it in the new key i used some sticky foam to hold it in place

the red wire - i stripped about an inch off it - i unplugged the connecter - stuck the red wire in the connecter and plugged it back in , its not the best way but works. you get some propper splicer things with the kit but i didnt use them. its been on for  a week now no probs

Offline malakym

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2011, 12:35 »
Just used this guide to save me tracing wires.

Like you I got the lock and unlock the wrong way around, although your guide still shows the wrong way, this is what I did - GREEN(car) to white, and GRAY(car) to white/black

I have a haynes manual but im not good at reading them (too much flicking backwards and forwards to keys etc)

I got my indicators working - used the BLACK/white and BLACK/green wires going into the steering column (have to remove the surround, bottom right connector) connected to the brown pair from the unit.

Offline harlemex

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2011, 13:33 »
gotta have them indicators flashing if your gonna do this. I want to do mine, and want to get a siren just for the blip blip.  :tongue:

Thanx for advice kiddies.

Offline MiiTCH-GOLF

• GTI forum regular
  • Low Life!!
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2011, 14:42 »
i want to do tyis but dont understand what to do with the key??? also i dont think my car has factory central locking how do i find out if it is vw locking thanks

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 12 March 2011, 15:13 »
You will need a 3 button fob from the mk4 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250783292411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and a key to fit it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200584218198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Get the blank cut to your current key, and fit it to the fob. You may be able to use the innards from your aftermarket central locking fob if it fits, and with a bit of modding and put it into the mk4 one. You will also need to put the immob chip (if your car has one) into the fob to actually start the car.
You can tell if you have a central locking system by looking in the boot, on the drivers side under the rear light, there is a pump which is surrounded by plastic foam stuff. Thats your central locking pump. You will see the pnumatic pipes coming out of it if you are not sure if thats it. If you do have it, I take it that its obviously not working! :smiley:
« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 15:15 by Seanl »
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline MiiTCH-GOLF

• GTI forum regular
  • Low Life!!
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2011, 15:15 »
You will need a 3 button fob from the mk4 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250783292411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and a key to fit it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200584218198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Get the blank cut to your current key, and fit it to the fob. You may be able to use the innards from your aftermarket central locking fob if it fits, and with a bit of modding and put it into the mk4 one. You will also need to put the immob chip (if your car has one) into the fob to actually start the car.
You can tell if you have a central locking system by looking in the boot, on the drivers side under the rear light, there is a pump which is surrounded by plastic foam stuff. Thats your central locking pump. If you do, I take it that its obviously not working! :smiley:
Ok lol my central locking works bit I don't have a pump in the back lol must be an afternarket locking kit?? you get two keys with the kit off ebay you just have to get the blanks cut.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 15:28 by MiiTCH-GOLF »