Author Topic: GTI mk7 Reasons not to buy  (Read 3868 times)

Offline confusedgti

• Just got here
GTI mk7 Reasons not to buy
« on: 08 July 2017, 08:17 »
Hi everyone!

I've recently been given a new Golf GTI for a week whilst my car gets a clutch replacement done. What a revelation! Currently drive a diesel Focus.

I'm very close to potentially buying one with auto as a replacement now, but want to know all the reasons you would try and put me off - the other options I'm looking at are a Merc C200 Sport (brilliant gearbox and interior but no CarPlay and feels big to drive in town and as a 30 year old feels like I'm in Dad's car) and a Mini Cooper S with the Tech/Chilli pack (wild to drive, but again no CarPlay and is obviously tiny and feels like I'm in a jukebox with all the lighting).

So far against the Golf I've said:
Terrible MPG. I drove it performance mode one night this week and was at 12mpg. Does this increase with miles (my car has only done 1k miles and I drive around London so get I'm probably not getting the best view)
Iffy reliability of DSG gearboxes (apparently)
New infotainment screen shows fingerprints all the time

What else is there to know? I really want my next car to be reliable and to have good dealership service - how is vW in these respects?

Offline iain cooper

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI mk7 Reasons not to buy
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2017, 09:39 »
keeping your driving licence  :smiley:

Iain

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2017, 10:00 »
I can't think of any good reason not to. Economy wise, what on earth were you doing to get 12mpg? Mine is on a long term average of 38 at the moment, I get 30+ commuting around 5 miles, 40-45 on a long motorway run and up to 50 if I really behave. Don't know about DSG reliability but in the couple of years I've been on this forum I've never seen it mentioned so should be good. Infotainment screen showing fingerprints is hardly a deciding factor in choosing a car, if it bothers you then just clean it? :rolleyes:

So you like it, there are no real problems so just do it :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2017, 12:04 »
I've had my car for just over a month and couldn't recommend one any more highly! With regards to mpg, I get around 35 or so on average, although this dips a little in heavy traffic. Coming from a vauxhall, I have also found the VW staff much more professional and helpful. As for the dsg, I had an ibiza cupra with the seven speed dsg box for nearly three years and never had an issue, but if you do it'll be covered under warranty anyhow.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline flashp

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2017, 06:55 »
Ermmmmmm.............................. :undecided:
Nope, nothing  :grin:

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2017, 09:01 »
Just shy of 40mpg long term average here too. 
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.