Author Topic: Decat??  (Read 2318 times)

Offline vwgolf182

• Not said much yet
Decat??
« on: 20 May 2012, 11:18 »

would a decat make much difference on an 8v gti?? if so which would you recomend

what backbox would be best to use for least restriction but isnt too loud on tickover but makes a nice note when you go for it a bit???

cheers

Offline gti gaz

• I live here
Re: Decat??
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2012, 12:05 »
it will make some diffrence but nothing massive i will be running a full milltec system with de cat once the car has a mot from what i have been told thats the best system to have  :grin:

Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline xAntiVenxm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2012, 12:43 »
de cat's sound cool, but personally i'd go for cat-back.. just because otherwise, once a year, you have to remove your sports system and replace the cat to pass an MOT.. long. plus the recent increase in random VOSA vans pulling you over for an inspection makes it harder to get away with it. can imagine with the 8v version there would be less noticeable gains than on the 16v or the vr6

Offline vwgolf182

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2012, 13:00 »

yeah fair point cheers for that.

what cat back system would people reccomend??

Offline clancy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2012, 13:21 »
i have a piper backbox with a decat on 8v. little noise on tickover but nice and loud/raspy with your foot down, can be driven quietly though

as for the MOT i wouldnt let that put you off a decat, takes 15 minutes once a year its hardly a chore lol
MK3 GTI 16v

Offline xAntiVenxm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2012, 14:00 »
i have a piper backbox with a decat on 8v. little noise on tickover but nice and loud/raspy with your foot down, can be driven quietly though

as for the MOT i wouldnt let that put you off a decat, takes 15 minutes once a year its hardly a chore lol

yeah the mot you know when its coming, but its the random VOSA checks going on that put me off it.. in the last month three people I know been pulled over randomly for it, one got a prohibition because he had a breather filter rather than a closed system.. had to replace it and go down to a garage to get re-tested and bring the new test pass & the VOSA paperwork to the police station to get his prohibition lifted!
its entirely your own preference, can't hate on anyone who wants to do it, but just me I can't be bothered risking it and having to re do it every year and then if i ever get VOSA'd, having to swap it, get it tested at an mot station, and down to the coppers, all hoping its done in a single day so i can resume driving. just not worth the extra few horsies to me haha

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2012, 14:46 »
de cat's sound cool, but personally i'd go for cat-back.. just because otherwise, once a year, you have to remove your sports system and replace the cat to pass an MOT.. long. plus the recent increase in random VOSA vans pulling you over for an inspection makes it harder to get away with it. can imagine with the 8v version there would be less noticeable gains than on the 16v or the vr6

I've never seen a 16v or VR6 yet that gave any gains with a de-cat.
I still run a car on a 190+ BHP 16v....so I'm damn sure it's not restrictive on a 115 BHP 8v.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2012, 14:52 »
As Glen said not worth fitting as no real gains to be had.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2012, 19:02 »
stop being silly and get a jetex catback  :tongue:
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0