Author Topic: Dizzie - "mk2 GTI 8v, the daily runabout"  (Read 6449 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Dizzie - "mk2 GTI 8v, the daily runabout"
« on: 30 November 2005, 13:14 »
no 20v for this one then....
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: Dizzie - "mk2 GTI 8v, the daily runabout"
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2005, 21:17 »
01/12/05

that's right JV. This one is on a very strict budget!

Bought this little darling on the 27th of November. with 7 months of MOT and TAX until the end of the year. She starts instantly hot or cold, pulls hard thought the gears and is generally sweet. Oh, She's a 3dr F plate 8v GTi in dark met grey.

The bodywork is a little tatty under the rear bumper, but otherwise she's good. Non of the options like the other mk2 I've got. Everything is manual. No PAS which takes a bit of getting use to again! I'm sure I'll get getting stronger in the coming weeks lol.

When I bought it one fo the shocks had come through into the boot. this was quickly fixed monday night with the help of a garage. £5 spent. I bought 2 of them and a rubber peice too so really total spent so far £13. Replacing the top peice was a right nightmare. At first I couldn't get the top undone inside the car and then stuggled to get the bottom bolt out. once that was done parts were swapped over and it all put back in. I needed some help when replacing the bolt at the bottom of the shock as I couldn't get the wheel low enough and shock high enough to get the 2 to line up. eventually it was done. handles a lot better now!

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can take some in the light. I also washed it last night :D
« Last Edit: 07 December 2005, 11:55 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2005, 00:48 »
6th December 2005

the 8v has been starting on the first turn of the key and running very very sweetly these last few days. I didn't use her over the weekend as I wanted to give the 20vt it's last little run around before she goes. anyways.

Today I decided I needed some ICE installed in her. I still had the kenwood 6031 I borrowed from work and 'found' a pair of 13cm Alpine Type-R components in my room so the mission was to install those. As this headunit will eventually be sold I can't go cutting the loom up so first of all I had to install a ISO plug. This was easy as pie. I even wired it up to the ignition. As I'm a total Golf geek like our JV I knew exactly which wires to solder onto :D

ISO installed the headunit was tested and worked first time. I then had to install the mid drivers in the doors. Luckily the Type R's were attached to those adaptors which go into later mk2 door pockets so I reused those. As for the tweeters...

We all know those speakers in the dash are pretty useless when it comes to reproducing anything other than Radio 2. I destroyed those and mounted my tweeters with the aid of a blob of bluetak onto where the cone once lived. they work a treat :D

I shall post a pic up showing my inginutity :D

I might just go for a stealth shelf with a set of 6x9's in this car as I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping her. Something that'll keep me happy. I rarely turn the system up in the 20vT anyway and all that is is a set of 17cm in the doors and a 10" sub in the boot.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2005, 16:57 »
21st December 2005

The KDC-W6031 headunits we bought in work on a very good deal were all to be sold so the one from my car was quickly removed and sold. Until last night I'd been driving about with no headunit. Actually I haddn't been driving it that much at all as I gave the 20vT a good 400 mile drive over last weekend :D

Installed a KDC-7090 MASK headunit. It's before they invented MP3 on headunits so I hooked up the 10 disc MP3 changer I've still got hanging about and velcro'd it under the seat.

Still no parcel shelf though to mount those 6x9's on though...

Almost time for the 20vT to go away on 'holiday' so I'll be using this car a lot more. :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2005, 00:16 »
27th December 2005

The daily received the much loved 'golfgti.co.uk' sticker in her back window :D
and a hoover out lol
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2006, 11:21 »
27th January 2006

A month since I last posted! I don't want to spend too much on this car as we're parting company in 6 weeks, but I decided to get some big bumpers for her and try my hand at painting. purely just to tidy her up really.

Spotted a pair of them on the south wales car club website in newport for 30 notes in black. my golf is atlas grey. Went down to see the lad last night and their condition is fair. they're far from mint, but they're alright. the worst will be repainted anyway.

also got a set of 90 spec front arches to go on as I've got rears and skirts sat at home doing nothing and I'll be putting G60 ones on the 20v. And a pair of smoked side repeaters.

She'll be a nice little car soon :)
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2006, 19:15 »
she looks like this.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2006, 17:29 »
17th March 2006

No riding on GTi steelies are the cheshire plod were happy to point out one of my tyres was a racing slick and charged me £60 for that priviledge.

Also replaced the header tank as the old one had split and was emptying itself every day.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2006, 13:34 »
9th April 2006

With all the attention the edition one has been receiving my daily driver was begining to feel left out!

After swapping around door cards I'd removed the pockets which ment I didn't have my midrange speakers that make up the component set. With just the tweeters on the dash the sound was a little tinny lol.

Last night I had some time on my hands as DUBusiness was closed for the rest of the weekend and rewired my door speakers back up. I'd also had 6x9's on my shelf for ages now, but never had any wire. So I ran some wire down the car under the carpet and pluged those in. Now I have tunes again :D
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2006, 19:26 »
15th April 2006

As I'd removed the 8v engine from my edition one I decided to put the induction kit I removed from it onto my daily runabout. I plan to put the backbox onto this car also.

Just so I have a better sound system in the car I installed 1 of my genesis amps into the car and hooked it up to my 10" JL sub.

I also replaced the boot lifters so it won't keep dropping onto my head  :angry:
Mk4 Golf 150PD