Author Topic: Fuel Economy GTi  (Read 9631 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: Fuel Economy GTi
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2019, 02:36 »
Nobody buys a GTi to watch the mpg... :smiley:

I slightly disagree with this... Only a little bit though.

If I wasn't bothered about fuel I'd be in a C63.

On my last tank I went the entire week in eco mode and managed 41.1 MPG real world results, the computer was showing 41mpg since refuel so it is accurate. When you compare to what I got  the week previous without using eco mode (35.8mpg) the results are quite impressive from a 2.0 petrol.

At this time a year the weather does make a massive difference. In the summer I would get 430-450miles per tank. Now I'm getting 370-400.

Another thing that can alter fuel economy is brand of fuel. Never use supermarket fuel apart from Momentum 99. I only use V-POWER or Momentum 99.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2019, 02:49 »
Just want to add it might be worth going on a course to learn how to drive economically. I was sent on one through work as we have a target of 10mpg to hit every month.

It definitely worked for me because I'm now hitting their targets and I don't get bollocked anymore 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2019, 11:16 »
You just can't compare one person's mpg directly with another's unless they're doing the exact same route at the same time of the day.

I use my Polo GTI (2.0TSI 200ps DSG) more than my Golf R now, and with the same driving style, my mpg can vary greatly on my commute. On a normal school day morning, dropping the kids off at breakfast club for 0730 and then driving 13 miles to work on mixed roads, with some bits highly congested, over 30-35 mins, I average 35mpg most days. More congestion coming home and it can be as low as 30mpg. During school holidays  with fewer cars on the road, I get 37-39mpg on the same Journey.

If you do short journeys, your mpg will be poor.
If you drive in congestion with less than 20mph average trip speed, your mpg will be poor.
If you have a poor driving style, your mpg will take a hit.

2 or 3 of those factors together and your mpg will be atrocious.

I can score 96/100 on thinkblue trainer and still only get 30mpg - good driving technique cannot save you from the effects of congestion or short journeys on mpg.

Maintaining 80mph on the motorway for a 100 mile journey in the Polo will get me 43mpg, more like 47mpg sticking to 70, in a fully occupied car. Some things are just out of your control.

If I was doing 5 miles in city centre stop-start traffic every day I'd feel lucky to crack 20mpg.

In urban traffic, my low geared R is as economical as the Polo GTI. On the motorway, the R does 35mpg at 80mph as opposed to 43 in the Polo. Just goes to show that in urban traffic, both cars perform poorly.

If I were doing 20 miles each way on my commute, holding a steady 60mph on uncontested roads, i'd be in the high 40s for mpg.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2019, 14:47 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2019, 17:47 »
My commute to work is only 9 miles on an A road with relatively little traffic at 0700 in the morning with 95 or more on the think blue trainer and still only get around 32-34mpg.
The commute home at around 18:00 is pretty much the same most days unless there is issues with unusual traffic volume, if I give it the beans then say hello to mid 20's mpg on the same commute.
My previous manual Audi S1 would be around 34-36 for the same commute and for my driving style and the above commute was actually more economical than the DSG GTI PP even when giving the beans.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2019, 22:33 »
I'm just over 6 miles to work and during the summer with very little traffic I can get 36mpg, during the winter months same journey gives me barely 30mpg some mornings. I regularly get mid 40's on a decent run though.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2019, 08:53 »
For all the people saying about how we should all learn to drive economically, this shows the journey is probably as important as 'the throttle' in achieving good mpg....

Turn on the think blue display and let her see how much her right foot needs training....

You can do it... you just need to learn not to push the pedal so hard and watch the gear suggestion indicator to always have the right gear.

There's quite a big gain to be had in driving economically.... obviously not if you are hooning, but the rest of the time.... save some cash!

There's quite a big gain to be had in driving economically...

This. Some people's driving is awful - gunning it away from every set of lights, only to slam on the brakes 300 yards later at the next set of lights. If you're reading the road and anticipating the flow of traffic, there's seldom a need to use the brakes. Low 30s is possible in town and high 40s on the motorway.
Clarkson did a bit on Top Gear to demonstrate that driving style was far more important than choice of car.

Just want to add it might be worth going on a course to learn how to drive economically. I was sent on one through work as we have a target of 10mpg to hit every month.

It definitely worked for me because I'm now hitting their targets and I don't get bollocked anymore 😂

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2019, 09:10 »
I dunno about your journey this morning, but mine was at minus 5 celcius. I had lights, heated rear screen, heated seats, heating blaring and everything else going certainly for 5 miles.... plus mine is an oil burner which hates the cold even more than petrol with an auxiliary heater until its warmed up.

Short journeys in the winter definitely mess with fuel economy....

I'll bet your journey home this evening will be more efficient...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2019, 09:23 »
+5 degrees, heated seat on 1, no heated rear screen and temp set to 22. Journey to office is normally more efficient that the journey back as I come out to stationary traffic. Normally very lucky to get over 20 on the way home at this time of year.

Point is - doesn't matter how gentle your right foot is if you're driving through a busy city. And we do have 7 hills as well as nowhere is flat!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2019, 21:55 »
Our mk7 gti dsg which my mrs drives averages 300ish miles to the tank. Think the long term figure is around 27 but will drop over winter. Mostly stop start/short trips. Does the odd longer run but never more than probably 10 miles.

My 7.5R estate average is slightly higher but it’s the main car and does the longer runs.

To be perfectly honest we both drive them quite hard so more than happy with the figures we get. Did 140 mile round trip yesterday mostly motorway in the R and wasn’t hanging around and averaged 33mpg for the lot.

Had DTUK box on previous mk7 gti and S3 and it did improve the mpg when driving normally.

These are lease cars so can’t fettle with them unfortunately

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2019, 22:42 »
I don't envy your commute one bit Jim. Mine is 33 miles one way and I do it in the same time as it takes you to do 6 miles. People at work think I'm crackers for commuting like I do because they but this proves my point on why it's not so bonkers.