Author Topic: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.  (Read 11863 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: How Much? Think we have bought our last VW.
« Reply #60 on: 15 October 2018, 21:44 »
Appreciate in the US that GTI and R come in 3 options bundles I believe but the R is significantly more than the GTI over there despite lower prices overall. About $15,000 more I think. Both GTI and R are reasonable value I think given the standard spec and performance on offer.
The OP is in Leeds not the US?! What's the price in the US got to do with anything or have I missed some posts?!
The OP is stating that R is now too expensive. My point is that the premium paid here for an R over a GTI and other golfs is low relative to other territories like the US.

See what your saying  :smiley:

The big price differential between GTI and R in the US is because the US GTI has some old tech and the MK6 GTI 210ps engine - the US R is a proper current European spec R with the 300ps engine.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 15 October 2018, 23:27 »
Not sure if I read it or if I made it up, but doesn't the US spec GTi also make do with torsion beam rear suspension instead of the usual multi-link rear suspension that we get here?
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 16 October 2018, 08:58 »
Not sure if I read it or if I made it up, but doesn't the US spec GTi also make do with torsion beam rear suspension instead of the usual multi-link rear suspension that we get here?

Sounds made up. Can't imagine they'd change something like that. GTI is actually good value in the US. £23k new with current exchange rate for the SE spec. The yanks are even realistic about the mpg. City 25 and Highway 33.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #63 on: 16 October 2018, 09:17 »
Are those yank mpgs based on US gallons?

Re an earlier comment, I thought the 7 speed DSG was more economical that the 6 speed man?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 16 October 2018, 10:17 »
From VW’s USA website for the GTI;

Front Suspension; Strut-type with lower control arms, coil springs, telescopic dampers, 24-mm-diameter anti-roll bar

Rear Suspension; Multilink with coil springs, telescopic dampers, 20-mm-diameter anti-roll bar

The yanks are even realistic about the mpg. City 25 and Highway 33.
USA owners would probably sue VW if the mpg claims weren’t realistic - some motor manufacturers have been successfully sued in the US for making false / unrealistic mpg claims.

Are those yank mpgs based on US gallons?
Yes, they are. Figures quoted on VW’s USA website for the GTI;

City; 25 mpg
Highway; 33 mpg
Combined; 28 mpg

Which would equate to a UK mpg of;

City; 30
Highway; 39.6
Combined; 33.6
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 16 October 2018, 13:00 »

City; 25 mpg
Highway; 33 mpg
Combined; 28 mpg

Which would equate to a UK mpg of;

City; 30
Highway; 39.6
Combined; 33.6

Which actually sound more realistic than the UK figures for the more powerful 230ps GTI. How does VW get away with different figures for different countries?

UK from VW for 230ps manual 3dr
Urban 36
Extra Urban 51
Combined 44
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 17 October 2018, 14:12 »
My 2 pence worth, given the discounts to be had on the Mk7 I reckon pound for pound its one of the best value for money cars out there. Standard equipment is plentiful, quality is good, performance is excellent and reliability for me at least has been first class. Bought my brand new Mk7.5 Golf R 5dr DSG approx. 15 months ago for just over £28k and the car according to WBAC (appreciate WBAC will try and knock as much money off as they can) is still worth just north of £24k. Can't argue with that

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #67 on: 18 October 2018, 06:01 »
If you’re an unenlightened cash buyer then new car prices are eyewateringly high.
We seem to take for granted big discounts now, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with the mk8 post Brexit. The mk7 is quite old and late in the model cycle so discounts are big, yet it’s still a very popular model despite the world and their dog wanting SUV’s now.
Used prices of late low mileage VW’s are holding very firm due to production delays on new cars which makes depreciation fairly low at the moment.
Before the big discounting, years ago VW’s were always poorly specced and expensive compared to direct rivals. People bought them because of their perceived engineering quality which kept used values high meaning actual ownership costs were quite reasonable.
With all the big German manufacturers chasing the volume market now then we expect discounts just the same as you’d find in a Ford dealership.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner