Author Topic: GTD rear brake pads  (Read 6894 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTD rear brake pads
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2018, 17:23 »
Your issue is probably not driving hard enough to get the rears to work properly so they'll end up with a lip on the discs.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2018, 19:39 »
So, I’m an idiot, embarrassed myself big time today, after collecting my car from the dealers, I headed over to Micheldever Tyres for the 4pm booking I’d made for replacement pads, 1st time I’d used them & they’ve got a big set up there, really big place, anyway, I booked in & handed the keys over & went to wait in the waiting area, a few minutes later a guy comes in & asks can I confirm what kind of work I’ve brought my car in for, I tell him replacement rear pads, he asks me to come with him & he brings me to my car which is up on a ramp with the wheels off & he asks why I want my pads replaced when there is still 50% of the pad left, I thought they were worn  :embarrassed: I literally wanted a hole in the ground to open up & me to fall in it. Micheldever were great about it, said it’s no problem, they cleaned up the hubs & put the wheels back on & sent me on my way, I offered to pay for the time I’d taken up which was refused, they could have easily whipped the pads out & replaced them & id have been none the wiser, I’ll defo use them in the future, in a game where some garages are untrustworthy it’s great to come across an honest company.

As for the warranty work my car went in for, my fob has failed & needs replacing, gotta wait 10days for a new one to arrive, just hope I don’t lose the one I have in the meantime.
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2018, 19:45 »
I’d have got them to do it at that price but it’s for cars 3 years & over unfortunately, mines 2016.

Ahh, bu@@er.

...was told they recommend discs are replaced at the same time as they’ll wear uneven otherwise...

I’ve had a quote from micheldever tyres for £69 for pads, just need to find out what brand pads they use.

I've never heard that before, I've rarely ever had to replace discs but plenty of pads and can't say it has ever been an issue. If that was the case then why would VW give pads only replacement prices? Sounds like salesmanship to me. Plus they hadn't even seen your car when they quoted. If you trust the other garage and are happy with the brand of pads they will use (if not, perhaps they will quote to fit what you supply?) I'd go with them, at £69 that seems very good.

I’d never heard pads & discs needing changing together either, seems like a money making exercise to me. Pagid pads were going to be used at Micheldever, they also said a set of discs should last through 2 sets of pads on normal wear.
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2018, 21:29 »
My R has only done 25k miles now, I rarely use cruise, and i'm good at preserving my momentum when up to speed i.e. not accelerating on the approach to a stopping/slowing scenario only to jam on the anchors, but every time the car is in I have an advisory that the rears are low and need replacing soon. Those ventilated rears on the PP/R have very little wear allowance from new.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.