Author Topic: I'm back! Advice on Wheels  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
I'm back! Advice on Wheels
« on: 20 May 2018, 20:00 »
Hello everyone,

Been many years since i've been these parts but after 3 years out the scene i'm now back with a 14 plate Golf R in Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG.

I've been driving around in a Fiesta ST in the meantime, sold the Golf to make some cash for my house and now that's sorted i've been itching to get back into an R ever since. So this one came up with a couple of decent options (Carbon Nappa/Discover Nav Pro) so I took the plunge.

Thing is the cars 4 years old, and sadly the previous driver hasn't taken the best care of it. The wheels are marked in a few places (nothing major to be fair but enough to be annoying). They've also replaced the standard Bridgestones on the back with some budget tyres that i've never heard of, Bavrius or something!  :laugh:

The rest of the car is in relatively good shape! Anyway, enough ranting. I paid a good price for it so not too bothered. I'm wanting to replace the wheels (they are the standard 18" Cadiz at the minute and might swell get some Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3's back on all 4 corners.

So i've been looking on Rimstyle. (Is this site still good?) and noticed these wheels from a new on the scene manufacturer;

https://www.rimstyle.com/alloywheels/wheel/1form_edition1_edt1_gbbl

What do you guys think to them on a Lapiz Blue R? Wanted gloss black so these fit the bill and I quite like the design and they're cheap. Don't want to be paying over a grand for a set of wheels. I was going to order a set along with 4x Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3's (are these still the best rubber for the Golf or the new Pilot Sport 4's better?) I can get the lot for around a grand which is pretty much my budget.

Thoughts, opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, later in the year i'll be going down the Stage 1/Intake route. Any weaknesses with 14 plates that I need to be aware of before doing so? I know a load of turbos got revised around that time atleast. Probably going to go Revo and VWR for the intake (who now seem to be called Racing Line?) as got good results with that setup on my GTI back in the day.

Edit; Helps if I add the right link.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 20:13 by Mr Savage »
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: I'm back! Advice on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 20:18 »
Welcome back to Rdom!

See other thread - get a set of Prets and all will be as it should be.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2018, 20:26 »
Thanks. Which other thread, sorry? Yes i'd like some Pret's to be honest. Saw a set of black ones on eBay for around a grand from a VW seller. I'd just be worried if they were actually genuine or not. Also I don't have ACC so not sure how the ride quality would be affected.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2018, 20:31 »
The only genuine Pretoria's i've seen on eBay at £1k are the 18 inch cast versions. If you've seen the 19's at that price then that's a bargain. They're almost £3k a set from VW for 19's.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 20:40 »
Welcome back Savage  :smiley:

A lot of people over on the R forum are now going for these from
 CM Wheels.
As far was we can tell nobody has had any bad experiences with them yet.
https://cmwheels.com/product/19-vw-golf-r-pretoria-style-wheels-gloss-gun-metal-vw-audi-5x112/
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2018, 20:43 »
Thanks. Which other thread, sorry? Yes i'd like some Pret's to be honest. Saw a set of black ones on eBay for around a grand from a VW seller. I'd just be worried if they were actually genuine or not. Also I don't have ACC so not sure how the ride quality would be affected.

I was just referring to a thread below about similar aftermarket choices.

Have a look here about identifying genuine Prets

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/14809-how-to-identify-a-genuine-19-inch-pretoria-alloy/?page=3

Also, this might be of interest

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=283298.msg2588185#msg2588185
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 20:48 »
Saw him on eBay. That might be a cheap alternative actually. The guys on the forum had positive experiences?

All gone.

Now;

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2018, 20:57 »
Saw him on eBay. That might be a cheap alternative actually. The guys on the forum had positive experiences?

Yes, all positive so far, they’re quite popular on there.
They do black too.
If I used my car more I’d buy a set for winter use.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/25340-pretoria-alloys-aftermarket/

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2018, 21:48 »
Welcome back.

Worth looking at Neuspeed alloys via Awesome as look great and take stock VW centre caps.

Tuning wise there was a debate about earlier turbos, ironically between Revo and me we did 25k each on that turbo as our cars were May 2014, always convinced to how the car was treated played a part.

I ditched the VWR intake as the blank on the LHS of grill it had stopped airflow to the engine so you got heat soak